The Riddler

Input needed from those in the Wareham, Bourne, New Bedford area who travel to Boston daily...

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

My family regularly asks me why I live in western ma where jobs and opportunity are slim.... this thread sums up my answer pretty well.

Factor in real estate prices and cost of living and I’m asking them why they’re living east of 495.

What I make for income would land me in the poverty bracket out that way but out here I live comfortably and never have to factor traffic into my commute.

Dont mean to go off topic but I’m blown away by the drive times you guys are talking about.

I'd almost always lived W of Boston, prior to moving to Dartmouth, because the commute from the W 'burbs (Sherborn, Westboro, etc.) is a helluva lot better than any drive that includes the X-way.

But...

Post-divorce, over two decades ago, my ex decided to move to E Falmouth and I decided that I didn't want to be that far away from my children (8 and 10 YO at the time) so I moved to Dartmouth.  

Yes, there were some periods during which I had to commute, but that all changed when I got back into being a software sales exec, so I could work from home and my commute became getting to an airport (BOS or PVD) once a week or so.

My local harbor is 1.1 miles from my driveway.  30-minute drive to the Ditch.  Lots of other SW fishing spots to the E and W of me.

I'm totally happy here.

A friend and co-worker of mine drove down from ~ Moncton NB yesterday for a conference here today.  
He was coming down 128 South last night at about 5:00pm.

Today he said that he told his wife on the phone last night  that he will never again complain about traffic anywhere back home.

5 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

A friend and co-worker of mine drove down from ~ Moncton NB yesterday for a conference here today.  
He was coming down 128 South last night at about 5:00pm.

Today he said that he told his wife on the phone last night  that he will never again complain about traffic anywhere back home.

lol... there is no traffic in NB.  

riddler.. you ever think of moving north to Portsmouth?

4 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I'd almost always lived W of Boston, prior to moving to Dartmouth, because the commute from the W 'burbs (Sherborn, Westboro, etc.) is a helluva lot better than any drive that includes the X-way.

But...

Post-divorce, over two decades ago, my ex decided to move to E Falmouth and I decided that I didn't want to be that far away from my children (8 and 10 YO at the time) so I moved to Dartmouth.  

Yes, there were some periods during which I had to commute, but that all changed when I got back into being a software sales exec, so I could work from home and my commute became getting to an airport (BOS or PVD) once a week or so.

My local harbor is 1.1 miles from my driveway.  30-minute drive to the Ditch.  Lots of other SW fishing spots to the E and W of me.

I'm totally happy here.

I split time commuting from westboro and sherborn, maybe i passed you and flipped you off sometime!

In all seriousness tho, i commute often from harwich to waltham amd its over 2 hours. Theres absolutely nothing you can do but suck it up. Take the beating, the fish are worth it

3 mins ago, aglenn said:

I split time commuting from westboro and sherborn, maybe i passed you and flipped you off sometime!

In all seriousness tho, i commute often from harwich to waltham amd its over 2 hours. Theres absolutely nothing you can do but suck it up. Take the beating, the fish are worth it

Maybe that's the reason that I didn't like you, even prior to SOL.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, makomakoman said:

lol... there is no traffic in NB.  

riddler.. you ever think of moving north to Portsmouth?

No way. That fishery sucks up there. I would rather move West down rt2 than live up there.

Edited by The Riddler

On 6/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, heyblue34 said:

If you are up and north bound early (0430) you SHOULD have an easy commute. However, beware of the Logan traffic for the early flight. 

Route 3 sucks, the commuter rail sucks, as do the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Giants and Jets. 

"Route 3 sucks," and now lots of construction :banghd:

On 6/3/2019 at 3:25 PM, The Riddler said:

I will have no choice but to move west off rt2 and call the Chu my home waters and get down to the Ocean when I can.

The chu is a nice relaxing fishery and only a hour from the canal.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/3/2019 at 3:25 PM, The Riddler said:

Thanks guys!  I am a trades guy in the Union and we could see start times fluctuate from 6am-7am starts. Some companies work thru lunch and you are out at 1:30pm-2pm or worse case 3:20pm on a late start.

It sounds like if I am rolling at 4am things won't be as bad, allow plenty of time and see where I can chip off. Figure an hour and change going into town but coming home may average 90 minutes to 120mm....that part sucks...but it is what it is.

I refuse to pay the real estate prices here as well as all the other overhead....which is expected to double in 15 years. Water and sewer is expected to skyrocket as well as metro boston taxes.

The reason why I am looking down there is for the salt water fishing and I would like to get back into shellfishing. Then you have all that prime fresh water spots which is nice....and if it doesn't work out or I don't get the value down there?  I will have no choice but to move west off rt2 and call the Chu my home waters and get down to the Ocean when I can.

Your blindly justifying your decision to enter the gates of hell. You do that commute for 20 years and you'll be ready for a grave digging feller. Not to mention the wasted hours on a daily basis whilst sitting in traffic, keeping cars going, and dealing with weather conditions. Thats enough time to work a part time job. Best case is 3 hours a day commuting, probably closer to 4 when all is said and done, that isn't living, thats a suckers choice. 

If I were young and ambitious I might try to do it for a year or two but would be planning on how to best reduce the commute and not worry so much about the fishing and shell fishing you won't have time for.  Your electing to take on that commute to be near the saltwater and shell fishing, if that is the main reason, please reconsider. 

You don't want or need to spend 1000+ hours a year in a car commuting into and out of a major city that will only worsen in years to come. Either find a place with trains or buses, at least you can sleep or read or play games, driving in traffic is not like riding in a bus or train. If thats not feasible, find work outside of the city, if your a trades guy theres work everywhere these days, find work in a place thats convenient and cheap to commute, under 1/2 hour. You really don't want to spend countless hours commuting for decades.at crazy costs and a huge waste of time. 

Edited by Highlander1

On 6/4/2019 at 8:23 AM, ccb said:

If you leave Boston , you have to get over the bridge by 6am 

and on the way home I like to be at the Braintree split by 2.30 pm 

Coming from the Cape you have to hit the Braintree spit , by 6am.

If you 15mins late it can take an other hour to get into boston. 

when I was working I would leave at 11pm on Sunday night because I didn't want to take a chance on the traffic on monday morning. 

^

This was my main reason moving from the south shore.

I fight Rt 1 in the afternoon now heading home  but it isn't too bad.    (well before they started the construction work on the Tobin.....)   

We have quite a few laborers who live down Fall River,New Bedford area who travel into town every day and their afternoon commute is usually 2 hours and sometimes longer.

On June 4, 2019 at 8:23 AM, ccb said:

If you leave Boston , you have to get over the bridge by 6am 

and on the way home I like to be at the Braintree split by 2.30 pm 

Coming from the Cape you have to hit the Braintree spit , by 6am.

If you 15mins late it can take an other hour to get into boston. 

when I was working I would leave at 11pm on Sunday night because I didn't want to take a chance on the traffic on monday morning. 

x2 on all this. My first job out of school from the south shore I'd be working either in the city or north shore area depending on the day.

On the way in If your not at the split by 5:30am in my opinion tack on an extra 20 minutes going in if you hit it between 5:30-6am. Anything after 6am and all bets are off. I also used to take 3A sometimes but even though you think your saving time cruising in, you will lose it all most of the time at the neponset bridge. It goes to a complete standstill.

On the way home like the above poster said 2:30 is a good time to hit the split, anything later your going to be sitting in extra traffic, and dont get my started on summer cape traffic fridays.

If I were you id try to get a job closer to where you live. That commute was brutal and I'd imagine yours will be a lot worse.

try renting for a year before you decide ? obviously you'll probably not be able to not work in Boston area for the most part

otherwise just go with whatever location works best regardless of the commute as they are all pretty bad