The Riddler

Input needed from those in the Wareham, Bourne, New Bedford area who travel to Boston daily...

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I need some help from those who travel to Metro Boston for work from the Gateways to the Cape.  I am looking to move south but just want to hear realistic numbers on travel time.  

Any help and insight on what it is like to live down there would also be great.  Thanks! 

I've lived in Dartmouth for some 18 years.  Commuted into downtown, Charlestown, and Needham during some of those years.

If I left by 6:30 (LATEST) for downtown, I could get there by anywhere between 8:15 and 8:30, assuming no accidents.  THE worst road for accidents is (IMO) route 24, because it is mostly straight and has lots of blind hills.  

In winter, or on Mondays in the summer, add 20-30 minutes.

All of the above are for getting into Boston.

Getting home:

Not too bad if you are flexible enough to leave Boston by 3:30 (or even 4:00, if you're close to 93).  Otherwise, I'd stay in town to either work late or have dinner with friends, then leave around 7:00 PM.  Usually 75-90 minutes to get home.

All bets are off when it comes to heading south during summer Friday afternoons.  

When I worked in Charlestown, I often drove to the Middleboro commuter rail station, took a subway from S Station to N station, yadda yadda yadda. Total PITA, but parking in Charlestown is a myth, so it was the lesser of the evils.

Rail service to the South Coast area is currently being built (FINALLY!), so that would probably ease your commuting burden.  https://www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail

If you want to PM me with your phone number, I'll be more than happy to discuss this in more detail.

HTH

2 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

That sounds brutal. I live in wareham and commute to Dartmouth. I know how lucky I am 

Yep, you are!!!

That commute will probably make you want to kill yourself. Traffic has become much worse in the last few months. Rush hour now is pretty much all day from 5:30 AM to 7:00PM.  I commute from Mansfield to Cambridge and it usually takes between 1:15 to 1:30. It’s a little over 35 miles. You would be farther so it’s going to be much more time than that. The traffic on the expressway and 24 has become ridiculous after all of the Seaport expansion.  The only thing that keeps me sane is working from home on Fridays. 

I commute about half of the distance you're talking about.  The easy half.  Between Berkley and Westwood up route 24. Commmute time ranges from 45 minutes (before 6:45am and after 7:00pm typically) to 90 minutes.    You're tacking another 20 to 30+ minutes on either end on average.    Not to mention that as my daughter personified the feeling of driving down route 24:  "If route 24 had a smell, it would be dirty ashtray."

Route 3 would be an option for you.  but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

My boss commutes from BuzzBay to Westwood and he leaves around 5:45am

Thanks guys!  I am a trades guy in the Union and we could see start times fluctuate from 6am-7am starts. Some companies work thru lunch and you are out at 1:30pm-2pm or worse case 3:20pm on a late start.

It sounds like if I am rolling at 4am things won't be as bad, allow plenty of time and see where I can chip off. Figure an hour and change going into town but coming home may average 90 minutes to 120mm....that part sucks...but it is what it is.

I refuse to pay the real estate prices here as well as all the other overhead....which is expected to double in 15 years. Water and sewer is expected to skyrocket as well as metro boston taxes.

The reason why I am looking down there is for the salt water fishing and I would like to get back into shellfishing. Then you have all that prime fresh water spots which is nice....and if it doesn't work out or I don't get the value down there?  I will have no choice but to move west off rt2 and call the Chu my home waters and get down to the Ocean when I can.

29 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

i would have assumed P town and commute by boat, pickle smoocher. 

Houses are not cheap there. Whitey doesn't like yakkers much.

If you are up and north bound early (0430) you SHOULD have an easy commute. However, beware of the Logan traffic for the early flight. 

Route 3 sucks, the commuter rail sucks, as do the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Giants and Jets. 

6 hours ago, oldgoat said:

My son in law leaves Chatham every morn for down town Boston.

I would shoot myself.

That’s crazy. How long does that commute take?

If you leave Boston , you have to get over the bridge by 6am 

and on the way home I like to be at the Braintree split by 2.30 pm 

Coming from the Cape you have to hit the Braintree spit , by 6am.

If you 15mins late it can take an other hour to get into boston. 

when I was working I would leave at 11pm on Sunday night because I didn't want to take a chance on the traffic on monday morning. 

My family regularly asks me why I live in western ma where jobs and opportunity are slim.... this thread sums up my answer pretty well.

Factor in real estate prices and cost of living and I’m asking them why they’re living east of 495.

What I make for income would land me in the poverty bracket out that way but out here I live comfortably and never have to factor traffic into my commute.

Dont mean to go off topic but I’m blown away by the drive times you guys are talking about.