Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

It is official

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The train stop under the Bourne Bridge will now become a station where those who want to get around the bridge traffic can use the stop to get them across the canal on the Cape Flyer. The Cape Flyer begins it trips at South Station, with stops in Braintree,  Brockton, Middleboro, Warham, Buzzards Bay , Hyannis and now Bourne. This should also increase some of the fishing areas along this area with a few more should looking in search of some fresh fish to eat once the schedule gets set

I would look for a stop in Sandwich or even under the Sagamore Once they get this up and running

Edited by Angler #1

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Well we can all sleep well tonight knowing this. I know I will.:confused:

Bob, are you and Sandy bothered by the fumes and noise from this train as it sits idling at this new stop?

This, and vehicular congestion seems to be a concern from many who live in the area.

The cape flyer is pretty expensive at $40 round trip from Boston. I don’t think many people will spend that to go fishing. It also only runs once a day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I don’t think it’s something anyone should worry about. 

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Bob, are you and Sandy bothered by the fumes and noise from this train as it sits idling at this new stop?

This, and vehicular congestion seems to be a concern from many who live in the area.

Very noisy at BSP  Joe, The platform is directly across the canal from us and using binoculars, I have not seen any one on the platform yet...……...

1 hour ago, z-man said:

The cape flyer is pretty expensive at $40 round trip from Boston. I don’t think many people will spend that to go fishing. It also only runs once a day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I don’t think it’s something anyone should worry about. 

You have to realize something about this operation, the train is whats called an "extra" meaning it has no assigned crew but who ever wants to work OT mans this train.  It also has two engines and both are running although the lead engine is doing the work and they used to use one and do a "run around" in Hyannis.

I would love to see some HONEST accounting on how much this train cost the taxpayers...………...

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

Not at all Joe. As you know, Sandy and I live next to the railroad bridge. We see and hear it daily, but small no exhaust.

16 hours ago, capequahog said:

no-one cares , except Bernie's point about cost to taxpayer

Hopefully if and when they begin to install the fence to help maintain the schedule along the route , no one will care as well. That was once part of the discussion back awhile , so that may or may not be accomplished this year , but who knows if they decide to increase the trips and really have a set time schedule that requires them to obtain and meet .   They also need to get the Army Corp on board for the bridge lowering when they get more trips planed to make some money on this ride that for the most part is as mentioned above is being funded through other means than fares.

Proponents of the Cape rail service promise that this will be a boost to the local community and the Cape overall.  However, for such a highly touted, and expensive service,  it seems to have gotten off to a somewhat inauspicious start.

My wife and I happened to  having coffee under the Bourne Bridge Saturday morning when the train rolled it. Four (4) passengers detrained. The next time I saw the train stop there three (3) passengers got off the train. BTW, there happened to be a Falmouth shuttle bus parked there, waiting. Not a single person got on the bus.

So they may want to hold off on the fences to hold back the throngs of people waiting to ride the cape rails.

18 mins ago, bob_G said:

My wife and I happened to  having coffee under the Bourne Bridge Saturday morning when the train rolled it. Four (4) passengers detrained. The next time I saw the train stop there three (3) passengers got off the train. ….

Regarding ridership, a slightly different story was reported by the CCT on June 2.

" On the first run of the Flyer on Friday of the Memorial Day weekend, 74 of the 273 passengers on the train got off at the new platform.  On Friday, May 31, about 20 passengers got off." 

It's still early in the season, so I suspect you'll see these ridership numbers go up.

24 mins ago, Joe G said:

Regarding ridership, a slightly different story was reported by the CCT on June 2.

" On the first run of the Flyer on Friday of the Memorial Day weekend, 74 of the 273 passengers on the train got off at the new platform.  On Friday, May 31, about 20 passengers got off." 

It's still early in the season, so I suspect you'll see these ridership numbers go up.

I’m surprised that many people ride it. If you are traveling from Boston with a couple friends it would be cheaper to just rent a car for the day and go wherever and whenever you want. 

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

"On the first run" how many of them where freeloading "dignitaries" and politicians there for the exposure and where did they go from getting off the train at the Bourne bridge??????

Talk about a pork barrel project...…….