FunkyBunker

June 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

279 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yesterday evening, back of Moco. Swarms of sand eels and pockets of small bunker. Did my best to match the hatch. Figured there would be fish all of over them, but absolutely none and nobody reeling one in. That's what's been different for me this year than the last few years. I was always able to pick off 2 or 3 fish on a quiet afternoon, bass or blues. Now it's feast or famine. More famine than anything.

Edited by joefishnj21

On 6/3/2019 at 1:43 PM, Local24 SSP said:

I believe we’ll be taking a similar trip in July....that new moon looks to good to pass on. 

As far as a fishing report goes. Fluking was good before the season opened, then not so good, no it’s good again. :fire:

I caught 1 fluke on a t-hex while looking for gators.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Late afternoon on friends boat near cape may county was slow to no on all our drifts, .  saw pilot whales and assure they were working bunker schools, anywho no flounder,,,

Edited by mghalfhill
got too specific on location,,,, my bad

Out back in lower OC from 7-9.   One small bass on bucktail and then switched over to fluke.  Caught one short on salmon colored grub.  

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Every outing my buddy and I have been on we've limited out in what seemed like minutes. 

Stopping at Kleins fish market doesn't count.

12 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Boat report

If any government agency says that the sea bass stock needs rebuilding they're LYING !!

The bottom off NoMon is absolutely paved with the things, everywhere we went constant action all day, they have to be devouring every juvenile fish of every species out there (and they were spitting out 3 to 5 inch sandeels)

Totals - uncounted numbers of seabass, 3 small fluke (not a good sign since we were drifting and bouncing bottom with jigs and squid) and 3 sewer trout who followed me home for dinner.

Do you mean Ling aka Red Hake when you refer to Sewer Trout ? 

Cleaned up on coktails looking for bass last night. Watched birds pound a sandbar Everytime a boat wake went over it which I'm assuming they were on sand eels. 

Can't seem to escape the blues this year. Which I'm thankful for because they have saved me from many many skunked outings.

Might give eels in the inlet after dark a shot to get a bass. 

Tight lines boys.

1 min ago, UncleJohn said:

Do you mean Ling aka Red Hake when you refer to Sewer Trout ? 

Yup

One of my favorite eatin fish

19 mins ago, FlounderWetspot said:

Cleaned up on coktails looking for bass last night. Watched birds pound a sandbar Everytime a boat wake went over it which I'm assuming they were on sand eels. 

Can't seem to escape the blues this year. Which I'm thankful for because they have saved me from many many skunked outings.

Might give eels in the inlet after dark a shot to get a bass. 

Tight lines boys.

Total agreement !

26 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Yup

One of my favorite eatin fish

Yes, they are delicious.   I haven't had any since I was a kid, I have fond memories of eating the flaky fillets and not so fond memories of cleaning the fish.  does smell like a sewer once you open them up ... 

Steady SSW wind cooled the water temp and pushed in some cabbage in spots.  Little more surf action but still not much drift or current to move the bugs.  Fished a popper and plastic early and had one hit on the swimmer that dropped off quickly.  Went to the bugs and with minimal movement pulled in one 25 incher and lost one other after a very short tug.  At least there is a little more activity showing.  Had a few terns picking something in front of me early when I got the hit on the swimmer.  SSW wind going to stick around until Friday morning when we go NNE.  Looking forward to that.

DSCF2646.JPG

5 hours ago, fishless said:

Every outing my buddy and I have been on we've limited out in what seemed like minutes. 

Guess my invite got lost in the mail