FunkyBunker

June 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

279 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, fishless said:

Here's my one for 2019.  I'm good till 2020.

photo courtesy of shiesty

31647.jpeg

What a handsome devil!! 

Out back in lower OC.  Fished sod banks along a thoroughfare.  Couldn’t get anything to hit.  Everyone else was fishing for fluke.  Saw 2 shorts get caught.  Maybe try again tomorrow....

4 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Dolphins rolled by but didn't look like they were feeding. Might try for a flounder tomorrow morning instead. 

Definitely a day of dolphins. Had 2 go right under the yak in about 18 feet of water. Bigger blues showed up briefly in the early am and had a steady pick of short fluke close to the beach. Hadn’t seen much fluke action close to the beach this week till today.

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

How about the guy holding the fish?

Great minds think alike. :p

Nice warm clean clear water with a rather flat surf this morning on the incoming tide.  First morning in a while I didn't see bunker out there, but did see an osprey come in from way off shore with one.  No small bait yet in the wash line either. For the past week it has been tough to find bugs, but not this morning.  Easy pick'ens today.  Fished the plastics for a few hours without a touch.  Late morning moved to a different spot and sent out the bugs.  Didn't take to long and had a fish on.  Not a monster but biggest one of the spring so far hitting 27 inches.  Had a couple more hits that I have to believe were fluke messing around.  May need to spend more time drifting the bugs then tossing the plastic.  Just wish we could get some rips or moving water.  Back at it in the am.

DSCF2644.JPG

2 hours ago, nam1969 said:

How about the guy holding the fish?

Hi Bob, long time no see, hope all is well.  PS - the bluefish didn't count. 

34 mins ago, bdowning said:

Great minds think alike. :p

Comedians the whole lot of ya's.  LOL

Went out front from 6-8 in NOMOCO. South wind switch to wsw with clean water and small 1-2 waves. 

Was as throwing a 6” modified blue over white Gibbs pencil.

had smaller blues hitting the pencil then a big gator showed up and took control. I had him in the wash and googanated the timing of the waves... snapped line and lost my pencil and fish. Felt good to fight a nice fish...

bittersweet night out as I did catch but like this spring has been overall... disappointing....

Tight lines 

Boat report

If any government agency says that the sea bass stock needs rebuilding they're LYING !!

The bottom off NoMon is absolutely paved with the things, everywhere we went constant action all day, they have to be devouring every juvenile fish of every species out there (and they were spitting out 3 to 5 inch sandeels)

Totals - uncounted numbers of seabass, 3 small fluke (not a good sign since we were drifting and bouncing bottom with jigs and squid) and 3 sewer trout who followed me home for dinner.

1 hour ago, trade off said:

I had him in the wash and googanated the timing of the waves... snapped line and lost my pencil and fish. Felt good to fight a nice fish...

Googanated - LOL

Going to be stealing that

8 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Boat report

If any government agency says that the sea bass stock needs rebuilding they're LYING !!

The bottom off NoMon is absolutely paved with the things, everywhere we went constant action all day, they have to be devouring every juvenile fish of every species out there (and they were spitting out 3 to 5 inch sandeels)

Totals - uncounted numbers of seabass, 3 small fluke (not a good sign since we were drifting and bouncing bottom with jigs and squid) and 3 sewer trout who followed me home for dinner.

Every outing my buddy and I have been on we've limited out in what seemed like minutes. 

46 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Hmmm....Sandeels...now that is interesting.

Saw small balls of them last night. Thought it was rain bait at first. The bass I was catching were spitting up the 3" sandeels