FunkyBunker

June 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

419 posts in this topic

55 mins ago, JohnnyK said:

Nice catch! I've had good luck with a shadrap for wipers.

I'm replacing those on my truck. I'll have to try the shadraps.

1 min ago, nam1969 said:

I'm replacing those on my truck. I'll have to try the shadraps.

:laugh: Good luck with that.

18 hours ago, GeoffT said:

I tried the xrap but got no love.   The hybrids in this lake prefer a Heddon Spook Jr ( which you can see in the net picture).   Great topwater action!

Nicely done Geoff.  I've made a few efforts for them but no love.  You are keeping me motivated. 

Out back cmc yesterday 530-7pm. One spot found a 16" flounder and had one other hit. Another spot wasn't getting any bites until moving around a bit when i had something hit right off the cast. Got excited when it started pulling and fighting and thought i had gotten into a really nice weakfish when it started making runs towards me. The excitement was short lived when i saw it come flying out of the water. Cownose with about a 20" wingspan. 

Not a lot of change in condition this morning with some light surf action, mostly flat water with little movement, fog, and clouds of bugs in the wash line.  Did find a couple of spots that I could fish the bugs using no weight to get a little movement.  Fish were there, landing 5, lost number 6 and had a couple more pulls.  Biggest was 24 inches.  NW wind forecast for tomorrow so don't see much changing as far as the wave action is concerned, but might see the water temp drop a bit.  Back tomorrow.

DSCF2713.JPG

2 mins ago, MC55 said:

Not a lot of change in condition this morning with some light surf action, mostly flat water with little movement, fog, and clouds of bugs in the wash line.  Did find a couple of spots that I could fish the bugs using no weight to get a little movement.  Fish were there, landing 5, lost number 6 and had a couple more pulls.  Biggest was 24 inches.  NW wind forecast for tomorrow so don't see much changing as far as the wave action is concerned, but might see the water temp drop a bit.  Back tomorrow.

DSCF2713.JPG

Is it just me or does that fish look a lot bigger than 24"? They've been eating well for sure.

Are you seeing any blues still ? I haven't been out in a while because of this work bs, but things are slowing down here.

1 hour ago, ridenfish said:

Is it just me or does that fish look a lot bigger than 24"? They've been eating well for sure.

Are you seeing any blues still ? I haven't been out in a while because of this work bs, but things are slowing down here.

Last blues I've seen were last week when some in the 3lb class went through.  Nothing this week and haven't seen the bunker around either.

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

DSCF2713.JPG

Nice report. I bought that same reel a few months ago for a similar application. Could not resist. 

Had a few errand to run this morning and decide to hit the beach. Fished O C beach from 10 to 12 water looked good, no bait.  First cast landed a 5-6 lb blue, next two hours -0-.  Enjoyed my walk on the beach, only saw two small flounders caught.  Next few days the weather looks better, hope the fish show up!

About 10 years ago I used to look forward to the 4th of July fishing out front. It was a few years in a row I tangled with decent bass and had a shot at trophy weakfish. I knew the weakfish were there because they would hit the small mambo at the top of the tide. Once the tide started moving the original mag darter would be the only thing I could get them on...my biggest came on a ss bottle. I saw a few monsters landed but then it all stopped.  Reminiscing, but they fought like hell and the big ones in a decent current were almost impossible to land.

8 hours ago, SIC34 said:

About 10 years ago I used to look forward to the 4th of July fishing out front. It was a few years in a row I tangled with decent bass and had a shot at trophy weakfish. I knew the weakfish were there because they would hit the small mambo at the top of the tide. Once the tide started moving the original mag darter would be the only thing I could get them on...my biggest came on a ss bottle. I saw a few monsters landed but then it all stopped.  Reminiscing, but they fought like hell and the big ones in a decent current were almost impossible to land.

Big weakfish are the best.  Can’t horse them in due to those weak mouths AND they’re lb for lb stronger than a bass, I’d take them any day.

Finally more surf action creating some better water conditions.  Was a bit off color with the SE wind and all the rain I guess.  Still a ton of bugs running around so thought it would be a productive session.  Not really.  Landed one about 22 inches and had a couple more hits, but that was it.  And didn't see any of that action until after 8am.  Surfers had a good time.  Back at it in the morning.

I fished OC out front on Wednesday.  Tried the bug thing, since it worked well a month ago for me.  Nothing, besides a calico crab...

I switched over to bunker chunks and had two really nice runs.  Both chomped me off (20lb leader material).  I would assume decent size blues.  

The fog rolled in pretty thick, then some lightning which just lit up the fog.  Chased me off of the beach pretty quickly...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had to post something interesting my son caught in New Jersey the other day. It appears to look like a Peacock Bass. Does anybody know if they stock certain areas of this fish or possibly accidentally stocked? He was pretty excited and had to call me while I was at work Haha( my 8 year old). None the less, what you guys think, Peacock Bass?

IMG_6636.jpg

Edited by FishingmaniYaks
Spelling