FunkyBunker

June 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

419 posts in this topic

I fished a Monmouth beach Friday 6pm until Saturday 8am, a peaceful, "productive" way to get outta my girlfriends hair for a while. Weather was beautiful and it was nice night despite unhooking countless skates and dogfish (on clams and bunker chunks - I was mostly chunking )....... until about 4am,  late incoming tide I put on bunker head and almost immediately my rod bent over and pulled in a 27" striper, re-baited as fast as I could and minutes later my rod bent over again......felt the same or bigger, then, poof! gone. I had 3 beak offs on decent size fish like this, which I attribute to......user error, my hand tied bait rigs of 50# flouro and maybe bluefish. The sunrise was worth it all though.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

2 hours ago, Petesweetmeat said:

I fished a Monmouth beach Friday 6pm until Saturday 8am, a peaceful, "productive" way to get outta my girlfriends hair for a while. Weather was beautiful and it was nice night despite unhooking countless skates and dogfish (on clams and bunker chunks - I was mostly chunking )....... until about 4am,  late incoming tide I put on bunker head and almost immediately my rod bent over and pulled in a 27" striper, re-baited as fast as I could and minutes later my rod bent over again......felt the same or bigger, then, poof! gone. I had 3 beak offs on decent size fish like this, which I attribute to......user error, my hand tied bait rigs of 50# flouro and maybe bluefish. The sunrise was worth it all though.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

Nice first post. Sounds like a great night!

Little late went 6/15 outback CMC for fluke. Had a late start 830-1230. Fished bucktails with gulp and plain hook above. Ended with 2 keepers 10 throwbacks. From what I saw I was the only boat consistently catching. Really had to work for them outboard was running all morning.  All fish were  caught on the gulp with the bare hook. 

CMC Took the kids out crabbing along a bulkhead yesterday. They were excited to catch a few really nice sized blue claws. Spent Father’s Day crabbing with the little ones and drinking a few brews. 

Out back this morning in CMC, hit a local sod bank spot 5:45-6:45. Using a Smack it jr, I conjured me up a healthy schoolie striper. I didn’t measure it but probably around 22”. 

This ends a really frustrating 18 month striper skunk! I’m 38 years old and you would think I could find other things to get excited about, but it still feels nice to catch a fish!

473E3032-F1FB-42E6-8303-501308ED96F1.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

The way it was going this morning it was looking like the fishing was going to be as cold as the water today.  Not a lot of surf action but very clean.  Fished from before sun up til the tide flip with nothing to show but a short fluke.  Fished half the time with bugs and the other with plastics and just could find any activity.  Most excitement was a bunch of hickories flipping in front of me.  But as soon as the tide started going out, success!  Very little water movement again so fished the bugs with no split shot to get some drift. Landed 3 with one at 25 inches and the other two at 27 inches.  Had a fourth on for awhile, but came unbuttoned.  Looking at the surf forecast this week doesn't show a lot of change.  Kinda flat this week with minimal wind to kick things up.

DSCF2709.JPG

Edited by MC55

been out doing a bit of fluking, not much in the way of catching. was completly empty on a popular beach this evening both the two legged types and the fish gill types 

On 6/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, ACFishing said:

Went out and pulled out a 23pd 35 inch black drum

Awesome, that's a fight right there !!

What county ??

Thought there would have been a little more action back bays this morning cmc but only picked up a 10" flounder. Of course more thunderstorms in the forecast this evening and over night. WTF. 

10 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Awesome, that's a fight right there !!

What county ??

ocean county, fought it for 15 mins, thought I had a stingray on until I felt headshakes

You ain't kidding !

I'm beginning to understand why Seattle has such high suicide rates

Late report: last night 7-8:30 pm up north out back. Wasn’t even going to go fishing but decided to take a walk before sunset along the bay shore. Brought a seven foot Cadence medium heavy rod paired with my vr50 and 20lb power pro SS and my plug bag. Bugs weren’t that bad so walked for a while and saw so many horseshoe crabs doing their thing. Then I spotted fins breaking the water and knew what was about to go down.  Pulled in gator after gator blue until my arm got tired. Caught five on a 6” talkin popper and a few more on an SP with single hooks on it.  Probably could have caught as many as I wanted but I got tired of unhooking them. Had enough for one day.  Not sure what they were feeding on. If the rain stops later I may try the same spot again. 

This weather pattern does suck and its going to hang around all week, geeeeezzzzz.  Flat ocean, little to no surf and no moving water.  Tried a little south of where I have been fishing looking to find some movement, but didn't make any difference.  Stayed with the plastics most of the morning and found one 25 incher with the white swimmer.  Did have one quick pull using the bugs, just didn't get the hook.  Won't be out tomorrow so hope there is a little change in this murky weather by Thursday.

DSCF2711.JPG

Out this AM for a few hours in CMC fishing artificials on the incoming tide.  Only one good hit but didn't get hooked, did see one guy land a nice weakfish.