FunkyBunker

June 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

419 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Quarter size to inch and a half. A few a little bigger. No observable egg sacks. If memory serves, the females have sacks a little later. Although there's no regs on what you can keep, I've always released females with egg sacks. They're always hard back at that stage anyway, at least that's what I've observed.

I always fish the area I rake, immediately afterward. There are always some that get stuck on the tines and I've raked up sand eels and grass shrimp, along with an occasional juvenile fluke. Stirring up the area attracts all kinds of critters looking for a free meal. 

Nothing like being a good distance from your spiked rod while your raking and have to try and sprint through knee or waste deep water to get  to it..

21 mins ago, fishingnuke said:

Nothing like being a good distance from your spiked rod while your raking and have to try and sprint through knee or waste deep water to get  to it..

Would like to see you do that . . . lemme know when you go and I'll set-up my beach chair!!  

6 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

The Irish Christian Brothers took over where the sisters of St. Joseph left off, for me! They didn't let my parents down!

These are the rakes you inquired about. The one in my left hand is a Giordano, 50 years old. The one in my right hand I bought for $30 at a garage sale. Both are hand made. 

05B849C1-9C0A-4DCA-81DA-15F5CA69D6D9.jpeg

A8236008-CD4E-4CFF-BC9B-1F3516953AEB.jpeg

8DD08E80-01D7-4FB3-97B3-784E1B6F1BB2.jpeg

4 hours ago, MC55 said:

When I saw there would be some ENE wind this morning I was looking forward to getting back out there.  My favorite and most successful conditions are ENE winds under 10 mph, over cast skies, choppy surf pushing some white water and an out going tide.  It was all there early this morning.  Could have done without the rain, but other then that it was perfect, and the fish agreed.  Wind was steady but manageable for most of the morning.  Wasn't a good day to fish the bugs so stayed with the white swimmer mostly.  Did my walk and landed 12 along with a few more hits.  I did find one spot that I tried the bugs at and did get one of the 12 that way.  All were hitting right along the wash line and were a real mix of sizes.  Had a few that were at the 25 inch mark which was the biggest.  Tomorrow could be another good morning with the wind forecast to go NW.  That's usually my second favorite time is a NW wind after a steady NE blow  Just hoping it stays as clean as it was today.  

Once again, you caught the fish I lost yesterday! I recognize him by the stripes!

Glad you had a good morning. Well deserved, considering the time you put in. I was in Philly with my daughter this morning. First good news we've had in a long time. Her port is not clogged and there was no growth over it. It did not need to be replaced. The options ranged from emergency surgery to surgery at a later date to "Ok go home, everythings OK." We finally got a break. 

19 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Once again, you caught the fish I lost yesterday! I recognize him by the stripes!

Glad you had a good morning. Well deserved, considering the time you put in. I was in Philly with my daughter this morning. First good news we've had in a long time. Her port is not clogged and there was no growth over it. It did not need to be replaced. The options ranged from emergency surgery to surgery at a later date to "Ok go home, everythings OK." We finally got a break. 

Glad to hear it Bob.  You've gone through a tough time the past few weeks for sure.  Let's hope it's just the start of more good news to come.

Oh, and by the way, I have my own rake now thanks to Judy.  She saw the post and offered me one she had that she would no longer be using.  Was really happy to get it.  Gave her a supply of my plastics in trade.  Now for the learning curve.............

55 mins ago, MC55 said:

Glad to hear it Bob.  You've gone through a tough time the past few weeks for sure.  Let's hope it's just the start of more good news to come.

Oh, and by the way, I have my own rake now thanks to Judy.  She saw the post and offered me one she had that she would no longer be using.  Was really happy to get it.  Gave her a supply of my plastics in trade.  Now for the learning curve.............

Remember the gloves. Also, you'll need a bag to put them in as you're raking (watch for the purple and black claws that indicate a comer. They'll give you a nasty bite, but are good bait if you do what I showed you). I tie an old army gas mask bag to my belt and use that. A small cooler is also good storage to and from the beach. Most times, I just fish the ones I rake. Others can be stored, for up to 48 hours, in the fridge, between moist scott towels or seaweed. 

Guys use to shed them in tanks in their homes and garages, but you gotta keep an eye on them cause the ones that are still frisky enough will eat their brethren softies!

Judy is a nice lady and it was thoughtful of her to give you a rake. They're hard to come by. Should be interesting to see how you adapt that rod holding contraption to haul all this new gear. If I see you on the beach flailing like an upside down turtle, I'll flip you over!

11 hours ago, fishingnuke said:

I never thought Id do it again but you guys have me thinking about breaking out the rake and giving it a go. I still have everything hanging together in the garage, my rake and my bag. To catch a few fish on crabs would be such a treat.

I've got Drew's old rake in my garage :howdy:

16 mins ago, Sparky said:

I've got Drew's old rake in my garage :howdy:

I think I gave mine to Cookie.

Mike, he forgot to tell you to stock up on Bengay.

Finally beat the skunk tonight. Out front . Crazy East wind and big surf. Got it right about 7:30pm . Water line was back to the dunes in places. First catch on my new Geneses 10' 

IMG_20190613_200051747.jpg

IMG_20190613_181329625.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hit outback OC today pulled cocktails at precisely slack, then upon leaving I heard the oh so notorious “slurp and slap”. I knew immediately what it was. Bass. Lots of them. They continued to hit my sp minnow from 9pm ( just after slack) until I left at 11 pm. Would have stayed longer but I have work in the am.  Left them biting. Got to meet a nice guy named Pete. Gave Pete an sp and as luck would have it he caught his very first bass. He was as as gitty as a kid in the candy store. Awesome night for sure, one I’ll remember for sure. 

Get out there fellas it ain’t over. Tight lines.

Edited by FlounderWetspot

15 mins ago, FlounderWetspot said:

Hit outback OC today pulled cocktails at precisely slack, then upon leaving I heard the oh so notorious “slurp and slap”. I knew immediately what it was. Bass. Lots of them. They continued to hit my sp minnow from 9pm ( just after slack) until I left at 11 pm. Would have stayed longer but I have work in the am.  Left them biting. Got to meet a nice guy named Pete. Gave Pete an sp and as luck would have it he caught his very first bass. He was as as gitty as a kid in the candy store. Awesome night for sure, one I’ll remember for sure. 

Get out there fellas it ain’t over. Tight lines.

Any size? And not trying to be a d but how are you hearing a slurp on an sp minnow?

11 hours ago, Beachmeach said:

Nam & Yarddog -Sisters of St Joe and the Brothers are sparking my PTSD. Class of 69'

'80

37 mins ago, SIC34 said:

Any size? And not trying to be a d but how are you hearing a slurp on an sp minnow?

Bass popping and "slurping" on the surface is a very distinct sound, especially noticeable in calm water in the back