FunkyBunker

June 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

419 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, nam1969 said:

I'll have one of my kids help me attach or insert a picture. I'm dumber than a door nail  when it comes to technology! Still working off a flip phone and that baffles me at times! However, unlike many of our younger generations, I can still make change for a dollar, in my head, and write in cursive! God bless the Sisters of St Joseph (although my knuckles still ache)! 

The Irish Christian Brothers took over where the sisters of St. Joseph left off, for me! They didn't let my parents down!

Edited by yarddog59

I never thought Id do it again but you guys have me thinking about breaking out the rake and giving it a go. I still have everything hanging together in the garage, my rake and my bag. To catch a few fish on crabs would be such a treat.

Report yest .Back..Moco..wind really picked up. One small fluke. That's it. 2oz spro and yellow mullet gulp. Water pretty stained. Big water coming this weekend especially in surf.

Edited by joefishnj21

1 hour ago, dylang43 said:

Somewhat new to surf fishing, curious how to exactly fish bugs. 

Do a search of MC55's posts.  He's given several explanations in the past regarding how he rigs them, as well as how he fishes them.  No one does it better.

Got out front for a bit this morning. Chilly, southeast wind and heavy surf making anything less than 2oz impossible to work. Got some weeds and two sand crabs. Called it after 45 minutes.

2 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

The Irish Christian Brothers took over where the sisters of St. Joseph left off, for me! They didn't let my parents down!

Still have a lump or two on my skull from Brother Adrian

When I saw there would be some ENE wind this morning I was looking forward to getting back out there.  My favorite and most successful conditions are ENE winds under 10 mph, over cast skies, choppy surf pushing some white water and an out going tide.  It was all there early this morning.  Could have done without the rain, but other then that it was perfect, and the fish agreed.  Wind was steady but manageable for most of the morning.  Wasn't a good day to fish the bugs so stayed with the white swimmer mostly.  Did my walk and landed 12 along with a few more hits.  I did find one spot that I tried the bugs at and did get one of the 12 that way.  All were hitting right along the wash line and were a real mix of sizes.  Had a few that were at the 25 inch mark which was the biggest.  Tomorrow could be another good morning with the wind forecast to go NW.  That's usually my second favorite time is a NW wind after a steady NE blow  Just hoping it stays as clean as it was today.  

DSCF2699.JPG

1 hour ago, joefishnj21 said:

Report yest .Back..Moco..wind really picked up. One small fluke. That's it. 2oz spro and yellow mullet gulp. Water pretty stained. Big water coming this weekend especially in surf.

How deep are you fishing with a 2 oz?  For fishing backwaters for fluke i dont think I've ever really needed more than .5 oz unless in heavy current like the shrewsbury.

8 mins ago, bbfish said:

How deep are you fishing with a 2 oz?  For fishing backwaters for fluke i dont think I've ever really needed more than .5 oz unless in heavy current like the shrewsbury.

about 8ft ur right but it was whippen pretty good yest. windswept water.. couldnt hold with less than 1. prolly went a little more heavy than i needed but it wasnt draggen weed or anything. 

Edited by joefishnj21

8 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

ur right but it was whippen pretty good yest after. couldnt hold with less than 1. prolly went a little more heavy than i needed but it wasnt draggen weed or anything. 

Gotya, for what its worth I usually avoid spro's when casting from shore.  The vertical line tie just kinda makes them dig down towards the sand; in my mind theyre more geared to jigging from a boat.   I've found jig heads with a line tie at about a 45% angle work much better.  Check out the "offshore angler shrimp body jigheads" at basspro, you can get 10 for about 4-5 bucks up to 1/2 oz.  Been using them for years, perfect size with gulp mullets in shallow water and they cost a fraction of a spro.

Edited by bbfish

14 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Quarter size to inch and a half. A few a little bigger. No observable egg sacks. If memory serves, the females have sacks a little later. Although there's no regs on what you can keep, I've always released females with egg sacks. They're always hard back at that stage anyway, at least that's what I've observed.

I always fish the area I rake, immediately afterward. There are always some that get stuck on the tines and I've raked up sand eels and grass shrimp, along with an occasional juvenile fluke. Stirring up the area attracts all kinds of critters looking for a free meal. 

3 hours ago, fishingnuke said:

I never thought Id do it again but you guys have me thinking about breaking out the rake and giving it a go. I still have everything hanging together in the garage, my rake and my bag. To catch a few fish on crabs would be such a treat.

I would be real interested in seeing you guys rake sometime.

14 mins ago, bbfish said:

Gotya, for what its worth I usually avoid spro's when casting from shore.  The vertical line tie just kinda makes them dig down towards the sand; in my mind theyre more geared to jigging from a boat.   I've found jig heads with a line tie at about a 45% angle work much better.  Check out the "offshore angler shrimp body jigheads" at basspro, you can get 10 for about 4-5 bucks up to 1/2 oz.  Been using them for years, perfect size with gulp mullets in shallow water and they cost a fraction of a spro.

I have heard not to mess with spro from land but it is all I have used and have caught. I do think there are better options out there though.

Do you find that the bucktail is even necessary honestly? Straight jighead is what they use down south.

10 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I have heard not to mess with spro from land but it is all I have used and have caught. I do think there are better options out there though.

Do you find that the bucktail is even necessary honestly? Straight jighead is what they use down south.

Oh im not saying spros wont catch, any sort of jig with bucktail or not, can/will catch fluke; theyre pretty dumb as far as fish go.   I just think theres just more cost effective options out there that work better.   When im fishing for fluke im targeting places that generally have alot of snags and my retreive is very slow along the bottom.  Quick jigs of the rod tip as i slowly lift the rod and then reel down on the slack, rinse repeat.  I do get hung up alot so it doesnt hurt as much losing a $4 bucktail.