FunkyBunker

June 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

419 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Saturday the moon is at 92% and waxing - I'm breaking out the rake for the first time in over 10 years

Gotta swing by Joanne Fabrics to get the good stretchy string

I knew you'd get the fever! BTW, I was pulling them up this morning when I only had my bug scoop!  That's how plentiful they were. None, however, were softies or tinbacks. Only the kind that liked to bite you! There should be beaccoup softies, comers, and tinbacks this weekend, with the moon phase. Let the good times roll!

3 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Does that mean that you can expect more softies during this phase of the moon ?  

Crabs shed at the moon

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

I knew you'd get the fever! BTW, I was pulling them up this morning when I only had my bug scoop!  That's how plentiful they were. None, however, were softies or tinbacks. Only the kind that liked to bite you! There should be beaccoup softies, comers, and tinbacks this weekend, with the moon phase. Let the good times roll!

I've been catching plenty of calicos chewing on my bugs. I have a feeling the softshells will be hiding and not eating.

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Saturday the moon is at 92% and waxing - I'm breaking out the rake for the first time in over 10 years

Gotta swing by Joanne Fabrics to get the good stretchy string

May I ask what stretchy string is used for?

39 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Tie the softie to the hook

Guess it like the clam string that I buy at the Tackle shop, but probably a lot cheaper ....

16 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Guess it like the clam string that I buy at the Tackle shop, but probably a lot cheaper ....

Yes  now that sudsy let the cat out of the bag. L.o.l :wag:

Really Old School teachings going on up there.

Love it.

Hope you guys (older and younger) kill it.

In Florida, doing it almost every day on whatever I target.

Little Tunny's yesterday, almost Bull Reds (over 40 inches) a few days ago.

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

@MC55 @nam1969

what size range were these calicos? And what’s your favorite size? Are some of them sporting orange roe sacks  underneath?

Just curious. Thanks!

Quarter size to inch and a half. A few a little bigger. No observable egg sacks. If memory serves, the females have sacks a little later. Although there's no regs on what you can keep, I've always released females with egg sacks. They're always hard back at that stage anyway, at least that's what I've observed.

I always fish the area I rake, immediately afterward. There are always some that get stuck on the tines and I've raked up sand eels and grass shrimp, along with an occasional juvenile fluke. Stirring up the area attracts all kinds of critters looking for a free meal. 

Forgot to answer the question on favorite size. If it's a softy, any size. In general, I like them to be as big as they can get. I've caught some nice size bass, however, on small softies. Softies are to bass what heroin is to an addict!

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Forgot to answer the question on favorite size. If it's a softy, any size. In general, I like them to be as big as they can get. I've caught some nice size bass, however, on small softies. Softies are to bass what heroin is to an addict!

Nam, 

The last rake I saw for sale in a bait shop was 5 years ago!  It was the only one and long gone.When you have time it would be great to see a picture of your classic one!

Anyone still have their holding tank for the calicos?

Edited by yarddog59

12 mins ago, yarddog59 said:

Nam, 

The last rake I saw for sale in a bait shop was 5 years ago!  It was the only one and long gone.When you have time it would be great to see a picture of your classic one!

Anyone still have their holding tank for the calicos?

I'll have one of my kids help me attach or insert a picture. I'm dumber than a door nail  when it comes to technology! Still working off a flip phone and that baffles me at times! However, unlike many of our younger generations, I can still make change for a dollar, in my head, and write in cursive! God bless the Sisters of St Joseph (although my knuckles still ache)!