coastalfreak

Light Surf Rods

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm looking for a light tackle surf rod to pair with my Nasci 3000. I would probably use this rod to throw weight up to 5/8 oz in calmer waters for things like Whiting, Croaker, Pinfish, Grunts, etc. I would throw stuff like shrimp on a light bottom rig or pompano jigs. Just fun fishing. Because frankly, as a Panfisherman, that stuff is appealing to me in saltwater. The only problem is that fighting those fish on a 6000 size reel is not that exciting. I also prefer the rod to be 8+ feet long for distance purposes. 

I've been looking at the Daiwa Sealine Light Actions and the Ugly Stik GX2 Medium 9' version. Any other suggestions? They seem rare. 

Edited by coastalfreak

I have a Daiwa Sealine 12’ 1/4 to 1/2 oz.  really cool rod.  And it casts 1.5 oz really well too.   It’s a blast to fight fish with.  

Just now, Birdsnester said:

I have a Daiwa Sealine 12’ 1/4 to 1/2 oz.  really cool rod.  And it casts 1.5 oz really well too.   It’s a blast to fight fish with.  

Glad to hear you like it. Problem is I can't seem to find it in stores anywhere. Guess I'll really have to dig around the web. 

14 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Glad to hear you like it. Problem is I can't seem to find it in stores anywhere. Guess I'll really have to dig around the web. 

eBay 

1E34361D-6DEC-439F-A8C9-D92333CF2A46.png

Star stellar light 8’ one piece. I have the fast taper version with a SSVI 2500 and mine is light enough for most freshwater applications and has enough backbone for decent sized stripers and blues. Caught a few 26-28” stripers on it this spring and it handled them like a champ. I think the non-fast taper one is slightly lighter. Great rod

Daiwa also has a “west coast inshore surf rod”... I held one, Never fish it but I have been thinking about it ever since. Felt like it would be a perfect light surf rod for light jigs and such. It has a cool look to it with a split handle and single foot guides. Worth the 120$ they wanted... girlfriend said no :(  

Sounds like a job for a MH or H salmon/steelhead rod. If you look at them, yes, go with the MH or H as they are a more moderate action rod. I fish a H and it handles .5oz up to 1.5oz really well, can do 2oz but I don’t like the feel. I prefer St Croix, so I recommend Triumph at 8.5’ H, Wild-river at 8.5’ or 9’ H and Avid at 9’ H. SS rods are awesome for the light / UL stuff...

Looks like some of us are either not reading O/P question or do not care.

Why would you recommend rod rated 3-6 oz if question was?

11 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I would probably use this rod to throw weight up to 5/8 oz

12 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I'm looking for a light tackle surf rod to pair with my Nasci 3000. I would probably use this rod to throw weight up to 5/8 oz in calmer waters for things like Whiting, Croaker, Pinfish, Grunts, etc. I would throw stuff like shrimp on a light bottom rig or pompano jigs. Just fun fishing. Because frankly, as a Panfisherman, that stuff is appealing to me in saltwater. The only problem is that fighting those fish on a 6000 size reel is not that exciting. I also prefer the rod to be 8+ feet long for distance purposes. 

I've been looking at the Daiwa Sealine Light Actions and the Ugly Stik GX2 Medium 9' version. Any other suggestions? They seem rare. 

Shimano Teramar TMS80M  - 8-17lb line class 8' rod. Has more backbone than a salmon rod and still retains cork grips and a long rear butt for balance. Should do well with a 3K Nasci.

Worth a look, especially over the Fugly Stik. Fugly's are mae with fiberglass, which not only will kill all sensitivity, but will add tons of weight to the rod. I'll guarantee the balance will be downright terrible.

I like St Croix Avid Inshore 8' spin rods either M or MH for that application. I have a Clash 2500 on my Medium and a Saragosa 4000 on the MH.  Either one will fill the niche with your 3000 reel.  BTW, I use 10# Sufis on the Medium and 12# Sufix on the MH.  Best rods at their price point.