EricM

Gateway National Recreation Area regret

13 posts in this topic

Went fluking inside the hook today and got excited at the gate. (First season with a kayak) So I decided to go for the 75 dollar year pass. 

I have to say, their "Kayak launch" is a joke. It's some of the worst access I've seen for anything. The walk from the L lot to the launch feels like it's a quarter of a mile or so.

There's a parking lot right across the street but they decided to reserve that one for camping only. 

Once I get there the approach isn't maintained at all. Tipped the yak over on some rocks thatwere in the middle of the trail and had to pick all my stuff up. 

I just thought this was super weird and not up to spec with national park standard. 

S

I'm gonna try C lot next time. Seems way more doable but it's just very strange that there's one specified launch for the size of the park and you're directed there if you have a yak. They have to know it's in terrible shape... :banghd:

1 min ago, dbjpb said:

Not sure if you are aware but they also took away our ability to launch  on the ocean side.

Oof seriously? 

1 hour ago, EricM said:

Went fluking inside the hook today and got excited at the gate. (First season with a kayak) So I decided to go for the 75 dollar year pass. 

Not trying to add fuel to the fire - but entrance price is free if you're fishing and not parking where there are amenities 

Please stay calm

5cf4780317a44_Headbang.gif.61feffdbbc5a45670bfb2851ac3dcd84.gif

19 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Not trying to add fuel to the fire - but entrance price is free if you're fishing and not parking where there are amenities 

Please stay calm

5cf4780317a44_Headbang.gif.61feffdbbc5a45670bfb2851ac3dcd84.gif

Eh maybe this will allow me to use C lot then... Just from driving around, it seems like the only reasonable bayside access.

The not being able to launch out front revelation gets me a little more reved up though. Pay for rules... Thank you government. 

Just check, but I think that pass can be used at other Gateway sites and allows you access after hours .... 

7 mins ago, Africaster said:

Just check, but I think that pass can be used at other Gateway sites and allows you access after hours .... 

Yeah the Staten Island side. Great kills I think. Night time is an extra 55 dollars though. 

I unloaded at Horseshoe Cove on Saturday (across from the camping parking lot)  - got lucky, no rangers telling me I couldn't unload there..   Parked in Lot L.   Loading back up I just parked on the right going into the camping parking lot w/ my hazards on - carried the kayak across and loaded up. 

8 hours ago, EricM said:

Yeah the Staten Island side. Great kills I think. Night time is an extra 55 dollars though. 

Just wait till you hear that staten island is free. The $75 is for sandy hook beach during the day time only. Not valid in any other beach or park.  Please remain calm. :laugh:

1 hour ago, NjScoot said:

I unloaded at Horseshoe Cove on Saturday (across from the camping parking lot)  - got lucky, no rangers telling me I couldn't unload there..   Parked in Lot L.   Loading back up I just parked on the right going into the camping parking lot w/ my hazards on - carried the kayak across and loaded up. 

I've done the same many times.  Park next to Horseshoe Cove, unload.  Then park.    If you go early, they don't charge an entrance fee if you tell them you're fishing.    Seem like the beach pass is for  beach access.