Seadogg

Heartbreaker

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Using a Flash Blend beast fly, I landed a bunch of bass to 20 pounds before sticking a much larger fish. It wallowed on the surface then took off running before settling on the bottom. Suddenly the line goes slack and I know she’s gone. I brought the fly back and shook my fist at the sky. It didn’t need preening so I quickly checked the leader and got back to work. After 10 minutes or so I preened the fly and noticed the damn hook was broken. Partridge predator 8/0, if I remember right. These fish don’t get big by accident. 

C4483478-8E2F-4E19-A8F8-F86C6CB31997.jpeg

That's very rare indeed. What a fish story that fly will tell!

Gamakatsu makes a live bait hook, heaviest wire I've ever seen on a hook that size. Straight eye, short shank, like 8x wire. You'll break your rod before the hook gives. 

6 mins ago, RedGreen said:

That's very rare indeed. What a fish story that fly will tell!

Gamakatsu makes a live bait hook, heaviest wire I've ever seen on a hook that size. Straight eye, short shank, like 8x wire. You'll break your rod before the hook gives. 

I usually use Gamakatsu hooks but I’ve used these partridge hooks for longer flies. I’m a little gun shy now. 

It's yr trophy, much better than man-handling a 40 ...

Would like to see a pic of the entire fly !!!

I don't think that is supposed to happen.  I wonder if something wasn't right in the manufacturing process that caused the hook to be brittle.  I've seen it with small #16 mustad (up eye) dry fly hooks and I've seen it on tiemco 800s in 4/0 (since discontinued) hooks where they would snap at the bend.  Send that picture to Partridge.  Something else should fail before an 8 ought hook on a fly rod.

12 hours ago, JohnDe said:

I don't think that is supposed to happen.  I wonder if something wasn't right in the manufacturing process that caused the hook to be brittle....Something else should fail before an 8 ought hook on a fly rod.

My thoughts exactly. The hook didn’t show signs of bending, but instead broke clean. Bummer no matter what. 

were you on the boat?  were there rocks or anything in the back cast?  I've busted off plenty of tips usually because of the before mentioned rocks slamming the fly in the back cast, on one occasion I was getting hit left and right but could not hook up, so finally gave it the mother of all strip strikes and eventually landed a modest schoolie.  while releasing the fish, I noticed the point of the hook was missing. lol

In the boat. Check the pic, the damn thing broke at the bend. I was using 20lb tippet, so at first I thought the fish dropped the fly or the tippet popped. 

Eh. I’m not planning to take it up with anyone. There was nothing on the line (no pun intended), and nothing will change the result. I’m not mad, not even disappointed, really. Sh*t happens. 

No amount of pressure from a fly tying should be able to get remotely close to damaging a hook of that caliber, given it's made of hardened steel.

2 hours ago, bmac said:

Just speculating, but could hook have been damaged in the vise by clamping down too hard? 

Unlikely, plus I clamp these right around the barb. I had caught a ton of fish on it, this just happened to be the biggest one it had hooked. Must’ve applied just enough pressure to break it.