Popasilov

Last night

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, jesgord said:

To clarify....I'm not complaining about the lack of good fish...just stating that the fishing from the surf has not been good for me this Spring.  I enjoy every moment I spend with a plug in the water regardless of whether I am catching fish.  What I AM complaining about, though, is the slaughter of big breeding stock that is going on right now.  The boats off Fire Island and elsewhere are catching/killing huge bass every day.  As far as I'm concerned, its a travesty.  I understand that people are operating within the law....so something legislatively has to change.  I see pictures like this 60lb fish that was taken this week and I'm dumbfounded and saddened. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.12.34 AM.png

Ill be out there in the AM trolling bunker spoons and mojos....hope to have a pic like this one lol.

Edited by IslandSurf

On 6/7/2019 at 8:53 PM, IslandSurf said:

Ill be out there in the AM trolling bunker spoons and mojos....hope to have a pic like this one lol.

How did you make out?  

Edited by jesgord

Have to strongly agree with jesgord on this one.

Sure people call me a tree huggin hippy, but seeing a pic of a beautiful cow like that killed for a pic and weigh in is heart breaking.

Who knows the journey and life that fish had to live to avoid the thousands of lures and bunker chunks tossed at it.

A quick pic and that momma could have been back on her way

Crying shame...

6 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Have to strongly agree with jesgord on this one.

Sure people call me a tree huggin hippy, but seeing a pic of a beautiful cow like that killed for a pic and weigh in is heart breaking.

Who knows the journey and life that fish had to live to avoid the thousands of lures and bunker chunks tossed at it.

A quick pic and that momma could have been back on her way

Crying shame...

Piling on with another perspective, a gastronomical one: those big fish don't eat well.  A 30" fish is much better on the plate.  Considering the scarcity of large bass at the moment, there's really no point whatsoever in removing the big stripers from the sea.  They're the opposite of a delicacy.  

Edited by cookandcatch

9 hours ago, jesgord said:

How did you make out?  

Didnt see a bunker pod anywhere and I drove east for miles from Moses Inlet .Wind picked up and started gusting to 20mph out of no where and i turned around and called it a day.Was surprised that i couldnt locate a single pod.Spent 4 hours trolling spoons ...waste of time.

Edited by IslandSurf

16 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

Didnt see a bunker pod anywhere and I drove east for miles

When the bunker shows up outside of an inlet, the trawlers are immediately dispatched to get more omega 3 money....

The reality is too many people have chosen to ignore the writing on the wall, camera phones, the internet, increased affluence affording more access to off shore grounds, and more people fishing overall have created a false sense of health throughout the ecosystem, not just the striped bass fishery.  For all those immediately dependent/ benefiting from continued harvest, it dosnt take a rocket scientist to understand which side of the conservation argument most commercials and recreational guys fall into.