bob_G

2019 garden thread

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

You don't like cd's?

Little red headed bird was packing stuff on my light fixture.  I hung cds and it freaks em out and didn't come back.

Owl didn't work. These were very nice looking little birds....

20190628_181259.jpg

Rrbf,

Not that I didnt like it, I just hadn't done it yet. The cds and line are all set to go, but I was going to wait till this weekend. I had errands that took me to the Kingdom and between that and fishing I've been strapped for time. Plus I didn't think the damned birds would pull out the cups just to pull out the seedlings.  

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

Rrbf,

Not that I didnt like it, I just hadn't done it yet. The cds and line are all set to go, but I was going to wait till this weekend. I had errands that took me to the Kingdom and between that and fishing I've been strapped for time. Plus I didn't think the damned birds would pull out the cups just to pull out the seedlings.  

What do you think the small birds with red heads are? I cleaned off their sticks and 2 of the them were 4 feet away staring me down. Nice looking little birds. Big mouths too.

12 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What do you think the small birds with red heads are? I cleaned off their sticks and 2 of the them were 4 feet away staring me down. Nice looking little birds. Big mouths too.

Catbirds. No doubt. They buzz me the entire time I'm in the garden. Sitting a couple feet away making all kinds of noises. They miss nothing.

I have catbirds and I’ve never had any plant damage from them. Groundhogs,rabbits, deer are another story. The last 5 years most of my damage was from groundhogs. I used to grow sunflowers outside. Now I don’t bother because all it takes is one afternoon for a groundhog to destroy them. They chew the stem until it breaks then pull down the plant and eat the seed heads. They eat all kinds of other stuff. My veggie garden has a good fence around it.  The groundhogs eventually found their way in and destroyed a lot. They don’t like tomatos much so those were just nipped at. Maybe you have groundhog. The best way to deal with them is to kill them somehow. I found the best way is to trap them and leave the trap in the sun. So far this year I don’t have any. I’m always on the lookout. I get pissed when I see one because I know they will eat a bunch of my plants. 

Clearly, groundhogs are the worse. I happen to like catbirds until that time when my blueberies ripen. I can be picking and they'll settle a few branches away to eat the ripest berries. They show little fear of humans, but not quite to the same degree as grey jays in northern New England, which have alit on my head, shoulder, or wrist for a bite of my lunch while I take a break during a hike. 

On 6/15/2019 at 10:48 AM, bob_G said:

What's eating all my sunflowers? Three times in tbe last 2 weeks all my mammoth sunflower plants have  been eaten. Twice in the garden. Once sprouted inside, only to be eaten within hours of being placed outdoors.

Looked out the window Tuesday and noticed a chipmunk in the garden. Said self set the trap tomorrow. Tomorrow comes and two foot sunflower bitten through the stock laying on the ground. I set two style traps and got 4 furry critters. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/28/2019 at 8:05 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Not really a ton of possibilities with for birds with redheads trying to nest like that.

House Finch?  Google photo.

5d1e2da54092f_Housefinch.jpg.c05d235a744cb4e5a14abacbbc579e70.jpg

Edited by Plug and teaser

31 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

Not really a ton of possibilities with for birds with redheads trying to nest like that.

House Finch?  Google photo.

5d1e2da54092f_Housefinch.jpg.c05d235a744cb4e5a14abacbbc579e70.jpg

No just the top of head is red,i haven't seen them in a while since i kicked off the deck light fixture. 

They stayed in pairs a lot.

I will work on getting a pic if possible. 

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

No just the top of head is red,i haven't seen them in a while since i kicked off the deck light fixture. 

They stayed in pairs a lot.

I will work on getting a pic if possible. 

:th:    Another guess would be Chipping Sparrow , almost always in pairs.

5d1e605b81052_chippingsparrow.jpg.fb473a37025cca45cf432984f32e88fd.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Or common redpoll although I don't know if they pair off.

common_redpoll.jpg

American Tree Sparrow below has the look too, but there way up north with the Redpolls this time of year.

Back this way for the winter.5d1eaf9ac34f1_treesparrow.jpg.729de7094346925731d6c327142513f7.jpg

Edited by Plug and teaser