bob_G

2019 garden thread

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thanks.

BTW I replanted all my sunflowers using a modified version of your idea. Instead of soda bottles I used cups. I had a huge collection of Dunkin clear plastic iced coffee cups in the back of my truck.  Cut off the bottoms, and placed one over each seed. I'll let you know.

Good luck,

I just planted 2 rows of beans,i had the room and the seeds....

Bob, one big advantage to "mini greenhouse-ing" your seeds with a cup or soda bottle comes from the increase in local soil temperature around the seed. Nearly all plants germinate much better and much faster with soil temperature in the 80s. Even peas -- technically a "cool weather" crop -- germinate in mere days, vs the week or even two that occurs with soil temps in the high 40s or low 50s typical for April plantings. 

I add heat to all my germination projects. I've used an electronic heat mat indoors, as well as simply raising the air temp of the grow room. Outside, these mini greenhouses should help produce the same effect.

That said, right now is the strongest sun of the year. Straight sunlight on moist, *bare soil heats it up pretty darn well. (*Mulched soil stays much cooler, which is why I choose to skip mulching areas where I direct-sow to germinate.. unless the forecast calls for temps and wind so high((like 95° and 20kts)) I risk dangerously drying out the soil during germination. Which is rare)

Rst3,

Thanks for the input. 

We have a set up inside with a heat mat and grow light. Does a nice job starting seeds.  We've just never had our beds assaulted like this ever. We used to grow beautiful sunflowers and squash.  Now we can't even start the seeds.  2 weeks ago I started some russian sunflowers indoors under the light in a couple small peat trays. All germinated and produced leaves and nice stems. I brought the trays outdoors one morning just to get some sun. Placed them on a table and went inside for a coffee. Came out an hour later, and everyone was snipped off! :mad: It's like they were waiting for me.

That said, we've also never had catbirds like this either. Everytime we go in the garden they show up and harass us.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Thanks.

BTW I replanted all my sunflowers using a modified version of your idea. Instead of soda bottles I used cups. I had a huge collection of Dunkin clear plastic iced coffee cups in the back of my truck.  Cut off the bottoms, and placed one over each seed. I'll let you know.

I used 12 oz. Water bottles cut in half. 

Cap on at first then cap off.

All good.....  

Bob, the "cap off" soda bottle is one of the solutions I came across online. Others include bird netting and light fabric row covers.

Although not a common problem, it seems you are not the only gardener to suspect birds may be having a go at your seedlings.

22 or shotgun if safe to use-otherwise carefully placed 177 from high pressure pellet gun. Can trap them with a live trap if prepared and properly placed. Save guard hairs for fly tying. They have very keen eyesight but with practice can learn proper stealthy approach.

1 min ago, Peter D said:

22 or shotgun if safe to use-otherwise carefully placed 177 from high pressure pellet gun. Can trap them with a live trap if prepared and properly placed. Save guard hairs for fly tying. They have very keen eyesight but with practice can learn proper stealthy approach.

That pic was from last year, date wrong on cam.

I trapped 3 last year with some lettuce &fennel 

I'm trying things a little different this year. Instead of planting in my large beds I am doing tomatoes and cucumbers in large plastic pots and doing lettuce and herbs in smaller flower box style planters. Keeping everything on my deck to make it easier to water and harder for animals to get to my crops. I did set up a cage for my berry patch( 2 blueberry plants and 2 strawberries). So far my lettuce and blueberries have produced, still waiting on the rest to grow some. 

berrycage19.png

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Something was chomping my plants. I put cam out.

8692.jpeg

If you want to borrow my Wheaten Terrier she will get rid of your garden problem. She is much more silent then the .22 mentioned. Just give her some chicken and a belly rub. She is in the double digits for ground hog kills. 

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Something was chomping my plants. I put cam out.

8692.jpeg

Groundhogs would make my otherwise animal loving dad go mental.  If he saw any evidence of them in his garden he would set out the "have a heart" trap.  Once trapped, he would take the trap, groundhog and all, and lower it heartlessly into a large trash can filled with water.  End of groundhog.  He realized after a few years that just leaving the trap, complete with groundhog, out in the summer sun would do the job.  They perish in the heat.