bob_G

2019 garden thread

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, bob_G said:

…... I really want to find some campari, but for some reason I just can't find them.

Campari and soda makes a great aperitif.   ;)

25 mins ago, Joe G said:

Campari and soda makes a great aperitif.   ;)

Yes it does.

I once sold an.old Campari ceramic ashtray I found in mom's garage for $40 on ebay.

What's eating all my sunflowers? Three times in tbe last 2 weeks all my mammoth sunflower plants have  been eaten. Twice in the garden. Once sprouted inside, only to be eaten within hours of being placed outdoors.

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

What's eating all my sunflowers? Three times in tbe last 2 weeks all my mammoth sunflower plants have  been eaten. Twice in the garden. Once sprouted inside, only to be eaten within hours of being placed outdoors.

Chipmunks 

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

Do you ever start the seeds underneath a water bottle that's been cut in half and placed over the top like a little terrarium

6 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Do you ever start the seeds underneath a water bottle that's been cut in half and placed over the top like a little terrarium

No I didn't, and that's a great idea. :idea: I'll do it tomorrow. Hope I'm not too late in the season for them.

What in the world is eating my squash seedlings? This is the third time we've replanted. All the seeds sprout, break ground, produce leaves.  Then, within hours all are pulled from the soil and left. Not eaten, just left.

This is exactly what's happening to my sunflowers. So now we're buying started plants, and skipping the seed process entirely. 

I'm starting to think its catbirds and not chirpmunks. We have quite a crop of them this year, and they harass the hell out of me each time I'm in the garden.  

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

What in the world is eating my squash seedlings? This is the third time we've replanted. All the seeds sprout, break ground, produce leaves.  Then, within hours all are pulled from the soil and left. Not eaten, just left.

This is exactly what's happening to my sunflowers. So now we're buying started plants, and skipping the seed process entirely. 

I'm starting to think its catbirds and not chirpmunks. We have quite a crop of them this year, and they harass the hell out of me each time I'm in the garden.  

Hang like 3 cds from a string. Like in a row. It freaks birds out with the spinning and flashing. I started seeds and birds perched on plastic owl yet wanted nothing to do with flashing cds

9 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Hang like 3 cds from a string. Like in a row. It freaks birds out with the spinning and flashing. I started seeds and birds perched on plastic owl yet wanted nothing to do with flashing cds

Ok, I have loads of cds. Any particular artist they dislike most?

11 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I started with iron maiden this morning, now Fleetwood mac. But use blanks:laugh:

Thanks.

BTW I replanted all my sunflowers using a modified version of your idea. Instead of soda bottles I used cups. I had a huge collection of Dunkin clear plastic iced coffee cups in the back of my truck.  Cut off the bottoms, and placed one over each seed. I'll let you know.