luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - June 2019

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, aguyinde said:

in delaware if you take the shark out of the water you can be fined. makes it really tough, but i have seen where DNREC has taken FB post and tracked down people and fined them.  A good rule of thumb here is if it has teeth a release has to be done on land.

I knew about that in Delaware. We don’t have that in md, just a list of prohibited species and size/creel limits. Since we release anyways, I never worried about it. You are not supposed to remove large sharks from the water because their internal organs depend on the waters support. They can be damaged if moved onto land supposedly, although researchers do it all the time.

The whole debate/panties in a bunch is because they are federally protected and the feds say do not remove from the water.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Drummerbeedude said:

They got bigger. One monster butterfly 6’+ one monster stingray, only part of it’s tail seen, and one unseen that went to ground and would not budge. I got the butterfly and stingray ,so I’m really sore today!

B9EFA1D4-228E-46FD-9DEF-16454085B8C5.jpeg

79C17089-185B-415D-AF30-CF04B7F74025.jpeg

6EE4CE9D-9DCF-4334-AA15-8C418DA573FE.jpeg

I have hooked into some large rays that dug into the bottom.   Once that happens it very hard to budge it.    One trick that I have used is to give it slack when its dug in  ...    The re apply pressure after it swims off again  ...    Worked for me  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, DerrickT said:

The whole debate/panties in a bunch is because they are federally protected and the feds say do not remove from the water.

We were in state waters, where state laws apply. However, abiding by the federal laws isn’t that difficult, I don’t see any reason why we can’t unhook and release in the water. 

Edited by Drummerbeedude
Auto correct

29 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

I have hooked into some large rays that dug into the bottom.   Once that happens it very hard to budge it.    One trick that I have used is to give it slack when its dug in  ...    The re apply pressure after it swims off again  ...    Worked for me  

We tried that, I also tried plucking the line. Slack for a while and a sudden jab worked well , as did the slack, the plucking did nothing. I think the real issue was they were just to big. Tbh, I don’t really want to hook something like that again, it was a really big fish, and it was a tremendous challenge, but that fish is trailing 10’ of 400lb mono behind it right now, the butterfly 20’ of 65lb braid. The mystery ray only has 18” of 100lb at least. I use the 400 because I’ve got a bunch, and it is way easier to leader a fish in.

2 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

We were in state waters, where state laws apply. However, abiding by the federal laws isn’t that difficult, I don’t see any reason why we can’t unhook and release in the water. 

I've been arguing that point all week but some place NOAA has written in black and white that the federal regulations extend to cover state water.

But again Maryland and Virginia say see federal law that's not really enforced :why:

10 hours ago, DerrickT said:

I've been arguing that point all week but some place NOAA has written in black and white that the federal regulations extend to cover state water.

But again Maryland and Virginia say see federal law that's not really enforced :why:

Crazy

On 7/3/2019 at 4:56 PM, Drummerbeedude said:

I knew about that in Delaware. We don’t have that in md, just a list of prohibited species and size/creel limits. Since we release anyways, I never worried about it. You are not supposed to remove large sharks from the water because their internal organs depend on the waters support. They can be damaged if moved onto land supposedly, although researchers do it all the time.

I always wondered how true that was, I get whales, but you see them tag the 1000lb great whites on the deck of the boat. 

On 6/5/2019 at 7:23 AM, rdiezel said:

Early morning 3am-7am was okay, kept getting bumps, caught several rats before dolphins showed up close, and foul hooked this fish, not sure what it is. Waiting for dolphins to leave for now before getting back at it.

6A063129-8FAD-4E14-B461-B7F3E60FA00A.jpeg

DEE1D289-85F2-4E82-9811-DDB84F259D0B.jpeg

Hey man you look really familiar. Did you work at a Panera bread years ago?