luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - June 2019

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jimichanga said:

How does Cobia taste?

I've Never caught one.

Looks like a great weekend with family.  Great job.

It’s delicious!  I had only had once before today myself. I’d say it reminds my of a cross of backfin lump crabmeat and mahi . If that makes sense . 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:03 PM, HalfNelson said:

Had a fantastic day on Assateague yesterday . Water was calm all day with huge schools of Bunker 250-300 yards off the beach. Son Jack and adopted son Justin hopped on the SUP with one paddlin and one netting Bunker ( Talk about Fresh Bait) . The come back in saying they could swear there are very large fish balling up the Bunker . We decide to rig up for said BIG FISH and drop our baits from the sup out in the schooled Bunker . 15 minutes later we are hooked up .  41" Cobia landed by my son Jack .  We have caught Big Bull Reds , Big Stripers , hell I've even caught Spanish mackerel off of Assateague . But This absolutely Tops the list of good days on Assateague . Here are some pics from our day . 

Great story, thanks for sharing! Must've been seriously exciting! Did they use a live bait, or did they chunk it? Did they paddle back to shore to land it?

I saw a guy fishing from a SUP down in OBX last year. The surf was really rough and he was REALLY good on it. He was using lures though, would be tough to deal with bait out there. I also saw a SUP paddle with a reel and eyelets mounted on it for sale at a surf shop, so it must be becoming a thing. Great way to catch fish, but not for the average Joe, that's for sure.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:15 PM, Jimichanga said:

How does Cobia taste?

I've Never caught one.

Looks like a great weekend with family.  Great job.

Very good. My nephew got some in VA and we grilled it at camp this past weekend. 

FC867995-08A8-4443-BC5E-8FD85C740EF2.jpeg

Yes! Finally something bigger than kingfish! I know everyone is laughing, but this stops a 3 year slum for us. Yes, we couldn’t get small sharks or rays. Sad really, but that’s life. I think we might get back in the surf tomorrow, I hope.

6A6D46CE-6B75-400D-B517-F229364F4CE7.jpeg

456F40C8-5BCF-48CF-B84F-1E15E1636A2C.jpeg

Fished assateague. My son caught the cow nose ray he wanted, worked him pretty good. I hooked a giant butterfly ray, a little over an hour fighting that one. I got it close to the beach, and managed to grab the 80lb shock leader, but just couldn’t get him into the shore break. He ran, back on rod and he broke off. My son hooked another big ray, but it went out past the bar and dug in. Never got him to move. Lots of kingfish too. Also googans. People 50 yards south of us paddling baits out and dropping them right in front of us. I could cast farther than they were dropping.

54E6EF62-9986-4DB7-B32B-3FCE91DEC5F1.jpeg

Little bit of a late report.  Made it down last weekend for 2 solid days.  Saturday we did the boat thing.  Headed out front just of the beach.  I've never seen so much bunker in my life.  Up and down the beach about a half mile out.  Couldnt find anything on them but dolphins.  Did manage a few small spotted hake.  But that was it.  Not even any sharks.

Sunday we headed out to the beach so Natalie could try out her new rod and reel.  That was just as bad.  Finally got into some small croaker.  She really wanted a shark but we couldnt find any.  Still a great weekend to get down and get the lines wet.

20190623_133442.jpg

20190623_154710.jpg

They got bigger. One monster butterfly 6’+ one monster stingray, only part of it’s tail seen, and one unseen that went to ground and would not budge. I got the butterfly and stingray ,so I’m really sore today!

B9EFA1D4-228E-46FD-9DEF-16454085B8C5.jpeg

79C17089-185B-415D-AF30-CF04B7F74025.jpeg

6EE4CE9D-9DCF-4334-AA15-8C418DA573FE.jpeg

1 min ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Cool catch... Not sure where you're at but be carefull...  Fines are steep on some species.

Sorry... Not for Koss.  Meant for Drummer.  Yer wallet can shrink even with pix in our area.

Hmm. I thought it was a sand tiger, I’ll have to look it up. We’re in Maryland, and we don’t keep anything. Where would the problem be? Our turnaround time grime catch to release is as fast as we can get it, catch, dehook, pic release.

5 mins ago, Drummerbeedude said:

Hmm. I thought it was a sand tiger, I’ll have to look it up. We’re in Maryland, and we don’t keep anything. Where would the problem be? Our turnaround time grime catch to release is as fast as we can get it, catch, dehook, pic release.

in delaware if you take the shark out of the water you can be fined. makes it really tough, but i have seen where DNREC has taken FB post and tracked down people and fined them.  A good rule of thumb here is if it has teeth a release has to be done on land.