luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - June 2019

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2019 at 6:30 AM, GooN2484 said:

Caught this cobia (44") on the Fenwick Island surf last Friday June 9th.  Fresh bunker head.

Great catch! I always jokingly tell my buddy that once a summer someone catches a Cobia from a Delaware beach and that I will be that guy. I guess I will have to wait to be that guy until next year. 

The King Fish finally made an appearance on AI Friday.  We scored a dozen or so and had some great fish tacos..  Some of the kings were in 14" range and very healthy.

Saturday it blew and blew and blew 30mphas the least...  the Kings showed up late Saturday on the high tide but was difficult to say the least.

4 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

I’ve been catching kings for 2 months now. Fbbw. That kind of stuff is all I manage to pull from the surf, nothing bigger at all for 3 years now. Yay me.

You need to take one of those fresh kingfish heads with @ 10.0-12.0 circle hook on a fishfinder rig put it on a rod that can cast 6-7-8 oz of weight and cast out for all your worth. Cast another out and drop it into the 1st slough. Cobia,Drum,Bluefish,Ray,Shark this time of year.

I have. Chunks or whole of a lot of different fish, alive or dead. We usually have a few rods rigged like that, and have tried from the shore to almost the bar (can’t quite heave that weight all the way). My son and I like catching sharks and rays, but we are on a definite, drawn out skunk. We will break it someday.

“Chunks or whole of a lot different fish”

No mention of using fish heads specifically. Fresh kingfish,bluefish,bunker head is especially appealing to drum,last longer when you’re feeding crabs...

At least one of your rods,biggest? Should be rigged  with fish finder rig with very short leader and have a head out all the time...

On 6/21/2019 at 1:34 PM, Drummerbeedude said:

I have. Chunks or whole of a lot of different fish, alive or dead. We usually have a few rods rigged like that, and have tried from the shore to almost the bar (can’t quite heave that weight all the way). My son and I like catching sharks and rays, but we are on a definite, drawn out skunk. We will break it someday.

Whatever hole you are pulling the kingfish/whiting out of, be there as the sun is setting and toss one of those heads in there. You don’t have to reach the bar. Better yet, try casting metals at sunset and if you get some blues throw one of their heads in that same area. Some nights you have to take rods out of the rotation because you can’t keep up with the action.

we use the heads when we got em. We have 3 rods rated to 8, one rated to 12 on the way (little nervous about that one) all fished with fishfinders. We’ve tried bunker, herring, spot, croaker, big chunks or whole squid and loading up 9/0-12/0 circles with sand fleas. Bluefish too. We mix up the distances from the close trough to paddling baits out past the bar and further. I can find holes, troughs, and breaks in the bar, but I’m not confident about finding rips. Oh, my leaders are usually 80-100lb test, about 18-24 inches long. I have somewhat of an idea what I’m doing, which makes this frustrating. I’ve tried before dawn and before dusk into the night, I try to start about 4 hours before high tide and 4 after.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The heads to big fish hits/caught ratio is high. Nothing wrong with using rest of fish body in chunks on other rods. Try to ALWAYS have a head out while you fish other baits,including FBBW for kingfish,bluefish. High/low with/without floats with small hooks #2 or smaller. Kingfish rigs you can buy are perfect.

Whatever fresh fish of baitfish size you catch, Spot/Kingfish/Bluefish, put the heads on one of your other fishfinder rigged rods,like right away. A fresh bleeding/scent filled head is at the top of the list of baits you should be using-read 1st sentence again!

On the fishfinder rig,shorten it down to 3" and try that. 1st thing you'll notice a bit more distance on your cast as the rig/bait/weight are not helicoptering around catching air and shortening your cast and your hits ratio will begin to go up.

Remember,big fish hooked are not always big fish landed.

The rod rated for 12 should be in your lineup for snotty days with big water where you need 10oz or more to hold bait in place. A bait/rig that rolls either gets buried in sand or washed up down the beach. No reason to fear  the 12,lol

Are you using spinning equipment,what lb test line on reels?

Edited by modelcitizen
spelling

Had a fantastic day on Assateague yesterday . Water was calm all day with huge schools of Bunker 250-300 yards off the beach. Son Jack and adopted son Justin hopped on the SUP with one paddlin and one netting Bunker ( Talk about Fresh Bait) . The come back in saying they could swear there are very large fish balling up the Bunker . We decide to rig up for said BIG FISH and drop our baits from the sup out in the schooled Bunker . 15 minutes later we are hooked up .  41" Cobia landed by my son Jack .  We have caught Big Bull Reds , Big Stripers , hell I've even caught Spanish mackerel off of Assateague . But This absolutely Tops the list of good days on Assateague . Here are some pics from our day . 

IMG_1783 (1).jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

The elusive cobia!  Nice one!  Also nice one on the fresh bunker, they are getting hard to find these days, at least for me.