rdiezel

Wading the bay

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey all, I was wondering if there were any areas that one could wade into. Since were getting into summer, I wanted try and wade for some spot or even croaker. Also if I were to get a fly rod, what size would be good? 6-8wt? Thanks.

Can not speak to the fly rod question but the bay has never been short of wading spots. Where are you asking about? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, hhager23 said:

Can not speak to the fly rod question but the bay has never been short of wading spots. Where are you asking about? 

That’s good to hear! Most areas I see that are accessible on google maps/nautical charts seem to be private lands. Anywhere on the Maryland western shore would be nice, I have only fished state parks and piers. 

Edited by rdiezel

1 hour ago, hhager23 said:

Smith Island, Janes Island, Kiptopeke, Wye Island, Eastern Neck, or switch shores to Assateague.

Okay thanks! I’m assuming the back bays in Assateague correct?

I need to take advantage of that this fall/winter. I'm in NoVA but would like to do some wading on the eastern shore

The MD DNR website has a map that shows parks & boat ramps, which many have access for fishing. That would be a good place to start. 

I've done some wading, but you do have to be careful. Many places have deep muddy silt bottoms, especially adjacent to marshes and that's not conducive to safe wading. You may be on a sand bottom one minute and in mud the next. I waded around several creeks off the Magothy River when I was a kid, and have done so on some of the eastern shore rivers. 

I once stepped in a mud hole and went in to my waist on private property on the Magothy River. Fortunately it was low tide. I was wearing chest waders and had to crawl my way out, which took a while. That mud can work like quick sand and creates a suction that's hard to fight. Just be cautious! 

:)

Thanks a lot! I also forgot to ask about lures, what kind of lures would work best for spot/croaker? I’ve always used bloodworm but I don’t see myself using that while wading.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Baits are still your best bet for those fish species. You might try some of the packaged baits, like Fishbites or Gulp on a small jig head. I've caught Croakers on flies with fly tackle, and occasionally on a spinnerbait or small jig while targeting Stripers, but not something I did intentionally. I don't recall ever catching a Spot on anything but bait, but guess that it could happen. 

Maybe try something like a safety pin type spinner and plastic bait combination. They catch everything. You will want something a bit beefier than what's often used for Crappies & other panfish. Strike King makes a version for Redfish. Or a small bucktail jig tipped with a Gulp bait. That's the type of lures that I would try. 

Edited by Jim H

9 hours ago, Jim H said:

Baits are still your best bet for those fish species. You might try some of the packaged baits, like Fishbites or Gulp on a small jig head. I've caught Croakers on flies with fly tackle, and occasionally on a spinnerbait or small jig while targeting Stripers, but not something I did intentionally. I don't recall ever catching a Spot on anything but bait, but guess that it could happen. 

Maybe try something like a safety pin type spinner and plastic bait combination. They catch everything. You will want something a bit beefier than what's often used for Crappies & other panfish. Strike King makes a version for Redfish. Or a small bucktail jig tipped with a Gulp bait. That's the type of lures that I would try. 

Sounds good, thanks!