bumknee

Plymouth Nuke Plant Closing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My friend and I used to fish the jetties off the Plymouth Nuclear Power Plant in the 90's when you could park in the parking lot and walk right out to the jetties with the idea that the hot water flowing out would be a striper attractant or something-maybe one of us read or heard that it was a good idea. Once 9/11 happened it was not an option-unrelated, but I remember the National Guard posting soldiers at the Wachusett Resevior  Dam for a while after 9/11. I remember reports of boats not being allowed within a certain distance after 9/11.

We were both enthusiastic but major league novices/meatheads at striper fishing back then-going during the middle of the day and not really knowing what we were doing, but it was a good escape from whatever family situation we could make an escape from.

Did anyone else fish there with any success before access was cut off? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the 70's my friend had a house on White Horse beach. We used to fish the jetties at the station, caught blue fish.

No problem with parking or the security people.

Edited by RonG

Over the years I  have done ok live lining Mack’s and eels from my boat drifting near the discharge. but boat fish don’t count

Dunno about future access, but there won't be any warm water discharge attracting bait and fish either. Doesn't mean it isn't a bad spot though.

I remember seeing many epic looking bluefish blitzes out of casting range from the jetties in the Fall...my success there with bass and blues was modest, occasional small keepers...a buddy of mine dives a stones throw from the discharge, he's told me many stories of the large swimming around the boulder fields...

Even only going back a few years ago the pool inside behind the dike was a great spot to hang some rather larger specimens live lining eels . Unfortunately management closed it all of , even for those working at the plant I doubt that they will allow fishing for awhile as they make they make the shift to dry storage . In the beginning it was a great location to fish for flounder and toutog as well, along with bluefish and stripers Changes may happen , so only time will tell if they will allow excess once again  

On 6/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, fishdog13 said:

My first large bluefish 16+ , also first time falling in too . Quite a few years ago. 

You too huh? :cool:

14 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Very slippery jetty.........

yes, saw one guy take a nasty fall just walking out there, would never fish it today

I’ve fished there after 9/11 from a boat once or twice!  Loaded up on Blue’s and few stripers! But we never lasted long before the cops and harbor master came’

Would venture near the plant but outside the markers in the kayak picking off bass and blues before things got out of hand.   There's plenty  of boulders with the vicinity to keep structure lovers happy.   Don't forget this is all now patrolled by the tax man and her appetite for all things shaped like a seal. 

Ping! Ping!!