The Salty Fisherman

Which Headlamp Should I Buy?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

I was walking around some stores today looking for a higher quality headlamp for this year.  I had previously been using an extremely cheap lamp that barely threw any light in front of me.  When I reached the headlamp section I was very surprised by the endless choices.  There were headlamps ranging anywhere from $15.00 and less than 100 lumens to more than $100.00 and more than 500 lumens.  There were also lights that were rechargeable and even some that were waterproof.  I would love to hear which headlamp you have been using along with what features you think are necessary and which ones are simply for the flash.  I don't think that I would have any problem shelling out a large sum of money for a headlamp, as long as I know that it will be one of high quality.  Thanks for any advice.  

Salty

I just bought a Nitecore HC65 from Amazon. It has 5 brightness levels, and a red light. I haven't used it "in the field" yet but it seems like it's going to be really awesome.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nitecore makes in my opinion the best and most versatile headlamp.  My hc90 broke cuz my stupid ass left the screw cap off when reviewing it and submerged it.  I looked around for new stuff.. Bought another hc90.  (I have 2 hc 50s that are back ups). Nice light but a bit wonky in the button department.  The new 65 with red looks real nice. 

(the only downfall... Out of warranty repairs need to go to China) 

Beware those that say you only need a dim light... They either can see like magic at night or just fish flat sand.  

Hiking through woods and wading rivers is no place to be at night with a dim light. 

And if you go bright.  Be mindful of others.. Even if you can't see them.. Pretend they are there. 

Edited by scoobydoo

4 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

I just bought a Nitecore HC65 from Amazon. It has 5 brightness levels, and a red light. I haven't used it "in the field" yet but it seems like it's going to be really awesome.

How's the red on it?  Bright or dim? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

How's the red on it?  Bright or dim? 

It's pretty in the middle. Definitely bright enough to see in my room, definitely not too bright.  It's kind of hard to describe lol, but I would say it's a tad on the brighter side, but it's not too bright.

The images are OK. The red appears a bit brighter on camera than it was in real life, but you get the idea

I had to get a little of another other hobby out there :)

IMG_20190530_214919.jpg

IMG_20190530_214942.jpg

Edited by DutchGFX

48 mins ago, Pma531 said:

I bought one from Home Depot for like $15 4 years ago. It’s bright and still going strong.

Is this it??

Still my favorite. I have a bunch of them, 5 or 6. One in each car, one in the stuff box, two hanging in the garage.

Everyone of them has been underwater, and had the snot beaten out of them and still work great

And not so bright that it scares away every fish in the area and pisses off every fisherman around you

RayOVacFlashlight.gif.670e001212bfaf19d669acb2e36170c3.gif

37 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Beware those that say you only need a dim light... They either can see like magic at night or just fish flat sand.  

You can take that for what it's worth

Ever see Scooby drive at night ? Scary - the guy can't see anything once the sun goes down. My 82 year old mother drives faster than he does when it gets dark.

Srsy, I'm not kidding LOL

43 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

Is the beam adjustable? Can you dial it in and make the light stream tighter?

I try not to use my light to much I prefer cheap waterproof with a red light option that gets 90 % of the use. I’d be pissed if I broke 100 dollar light all those are way to bright anyway. 

8 mins ago, hydraman said:

I try not to use my light to much I prefer cheap waterproof with a red light option that gets 90 % of the use. I’d be pissed if I broke 100 dollar light all those are way to bright anyway. 

I agree, on the kayak the line somehow caught the band on my head and into the drink it went. I was nearly fast enough to snag it with the net as it slowly sank, looked like it stayed on till it was at least 15 ft down. Was a $15 waterproof from Amazon.  What I want is one that you don't need to cycle through all the settings. Once you have it on say 'low white', it just goes on and off that. My son has one that does it, but I think it was more like $40-50. I don't find I need a real bright one, when that one went into the water I continued fishing by the light of my pole light and the fishfinder.

54 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

It's pretty in the middle. Definitely bright enough to see in my room, definitely not too bright.  It's kind of hard to describe lol, but I would say it's a tad on the brighter side, but it's not too bright.

The images are OK. The red appears a bit brighter on camera than it was in real life, but you get the idea

I had to get a little of another other hobby out there :)

IMG_20190530_214919.jpg

IMG_20190530_214942.jpg

More interested in your tube amp.

15 mins ago, gellfex said:

I agree, on the kayak the line somehow caught the band on my head and into the drink it went. I was nearly fast enough to snag it with the net as it slowly sank, looked like it stayed on till it was at least 15 ft down. Was a $15 waterproof from Amazon.  What I want is one that you don't need to cycle through all the settings. Once you have it on say 'low white', it just goes on and off that. My son has one that does it, but I think it was more like $40-50. I don't find I need a real bright one, when that one went into the water I continued fishing by the light of my pole light and the fishfinder.

The Nitecore has that feature. When you click it on, it goes straight to the last setting you had it on. You can also go straight to red from off by holding the power button.

31 mins ago, drumrun said:

Is the beam adjustable? Can you dial it in and make the light stream tighter?

Negative. 5 settings + red.

Just now, ermghoti said:

More interested in your tube amp.

Designed and built it myself :)

6SN7 input with 45 output, Single Ended headphone amplifier

3 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

The Nitecore has that feature. When you click it on, it goes straight to the last setting you had it on. You can also go straight to red from off by holding the power button.

I was just looking at the Nitecore on Amazon. Searching this stuff make my head explode! You have to look very specifically at the IP ratings. Most are 4-6, few are 7, really immersion proof. The NU25 is IP66. They don't describe that button function, I'd have to go to the Mfr website. What worries me about these rechargeables is the USB port corroding. Does it have a really good plug?