Livliner

Fishing Gloves? -Bleeder here

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, due to some new meds I take I bleed more.  Long story short, when I get a small cut its a PIA and causes a mess because the bleeding doesn't stop. These are the normal hook pricks, braid rash, fish handling abrasions that go with fishing, Caught a bunch yesterday plugging ,good thing ,but my hands, waders, surf bag and reel were a mess, bad thing, . Thinking gloves might help. For those that use them what do you recommend. Yes, I use a Boga and pliers but still. 

Edited by Livliner
spelling

On amazon look up "MaxiFlex Endurance 34-844 Seamless Knit Nylon Work Glove with Nitrile Coated Grip on Palm & Fingers"

Good, thin and cheap ($26 for a pack of 3 pairs).  Any glove, Like mechanix gloves are going to get wet when you are fishing.  Wet means always soggy and uncomfortable.  These work well for all kinds of stuff and don't retain that much water.

look at gloves for kayaking too.  Many are fingerless which makes it easier to fish, but leaves you more exposed.  I often wear Kokatat paddling gloves to avoid the hand rash when the big fish are in.

Aftco makes fishing gloves as well, look at their products.

I use GloveWorks HD (heavy duty) nitrile gloves.

They're available from Amazon.

A bit thicker/stronger than ordinary nitrile gloves.:)

Take a look at Mechanix 'Fast Fit', they're pretty good. They have suede fingertips, Stormr makes a glove with kevlar fingertips. 

I agree that Mechanix gloves are very good. The material that they’re made from is pretty durable but still gives you good dexterity and feeling.  Home Depot sells 3 packs of inexpensive utility gloves for $10. I just bought some the other day. They’re kind of like a no frills version of the more expensive Mechanix brand gloves and you can’t beat them for the price you’ll pay. 

I have bad eczema on my hands so this week I tried using an old mountain biking glove. Worked great, still had plenty of feel too. Had to use fingerless on my line hand, otherwise I kept messing up my casts

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I did try a leather golf glove I had around. Worked suprisingly well very tactile, form fitting could still feel line on casting finger. Plan to try out some others you have recommended, my hands will thank you. Puttiing a bottle

of liquid bandage in pocket too.

Have you considered some of those puncture resistant gloves police wear sometimes? They will stop needles and blades, so I would think they will stop teeth, hooks, and line as well. Companies that supply to law enforcment, EMTs, etc will have them. I like USCav.

33 mins ago, Livliner said:

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I did try a leather golf glove I had around. Worked suprisingly well very tactile, form fitting could still feel line on casting finger. Plan to try out some others you have recommended, my hands will thank you. Puttiing a bottle

of liquid bandage in pocket too.

Cut prevention: maybe keep the fish in the water and use really long pliers and/or those hook pullers with a long stem.

Wear spiked shoes if near slimy surfaces. 

Crush your barbs. Probably a good idea to go to just the rear treble if bluefish are around. 

Super glue and the liquid bandage stuff I think are almost identical. 

I worked in kitchens for years before my desk job. Cut ourselves too often and sanitation is a major priority! We always washed, pressure/gauze, then super glue. 

On the water and with your meds in mind, I think I would be prepared in the following way: 

• A first aid bleeding stop aid like a powder or styptic pen. Usually at pharmacies. 
  • Super glue. For normal tiny stuff this is step one or step one and two if you don’t need the bleeding stop powder. 
  • More serious things, Alcohol wipes in your backpack for something deep or a fish fin prick, etc. Infection prevention. We should all carry these to be honest. (I dont but I plan to now I write this.)
  • For more serious emergencies like falling on rocks, maybe throw in your backpack a bunch of gauze, cloth tape, and any other emergency supplies the inter webs recommend for people in the wilderness on blood thinners. 

Posted (edited)

Just to add, I also always carry a small first aid kit with me, (and a big one in the truck) As Eric mentioned, It’s a good idea to carry clotting agents like cellox, woundseal, or similar (they come in small packets in powder form). Curad also makes bandaids that has quickstop (similar to clotting agent). All the stuff I mentioned are available at pharmacies and Amazon. 

BTW, 90% of the time I wear fingerless fishing gloves also but I switch to the disposable HD nitrile gloves when needed.

C90C5125-B080-42BF-AFC4-2A9AA9C45F10.jpeg

Edited by TheBlueLine
Pic