Rumor?

757saltwater

22 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

Heard through the grapevine Penn sold off and has new owners and we'll be making changes....any truth to this?

It was sold to private equity in January 2019.  The PE firm now owns bu Garcia, All Star, Berkley, Chub, Fenwick, Greys, Hardy, Hodgman, Johnson, JRC, Mitchell, Penn, Pflueger, Sebile, Shakespeare, SpiderWire, Stren, and Ugly Stik.  They are only concerned with profits and will cut mfg costs and most likely quality.

1 hour ago, odiemike86 said:

They are only concerned with profits and will cut mfg costs and most likely quality.

I’m not sure that’s necessarily fair or true - all corporations are concerned with profits but they are also concerned with survival. If they allow quality to drop they’ll lose market share and that negatively affects profits :read: 

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

28 mins ago, TimS said:

I’m not sure that’s necessarily fair or true - all corporations are concerned with profits but they are also concerned with survival. If they allow quality to drop they’ll lose market share and that negatively affects profits :read: 

TimS

Probably not a fair statement but i have seen what PE firms do to the operations once they acquire a company. All thoes brands have a large established marketshare so a gradual decline i quality will not be noticed by the majority of the consumers. People will still buy shakespear penn combos at wallmart no matter the quality. Thats just my opinion.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, TimS said:

TimS

Private equity is private equity. Unless you're part of the group, nobody really has any idea what will happen. When PE bought my beloved Victory Brewing (they bought Southern Tier too), I figured that was the end of Victory. But that was two years ago, and if they've changed, I haven't noticed.

I for one am going to wait and see how this plays out. I think the fine folks on Hunting Park Avenue have earned the benefit of the doubt. :th:

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

56 mins ago, Belmo said:

Private equity is private equity. Unless you're part of the group, nobody really has any idea what will happen. When PE bought my beloved Victory Brewing (they bought Southern Tier too), I figured that was the end of Victory. But that was two years ago, and if they've changed, I haven't noticed.

I for one am going to wait and see how this plays out. I think the fine folks on Hunting Park Avenue have earned the benefit of the doubt. :th:

I almost always hate it when I agree with you :squid:

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

People said the same when Pure fishing bought Penn. What happened? Good things like the Clash, Slammer 3, and Fathoms came out which have been workhorses for me and people who fish on my boat. I I had been buying Avet conventionals and Shimano spin reels for over a decade.

Edited by blacklabnh

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I’m aware the Internationals and Torques are made in the US...but it has been a few years since I heard this officially :)

Thank you! Those have been two of three constant names. I’m just getting back into the swing of things after a decade plus of medical crud. I’m finally allowed to get in the sun n heat, to get in water, touch fish, go hunting, get guys n stuff on me, do manchild things again. lol. I was hoping the Conflict was made "Onshore"... but it’s such a smooth dadgum reel and combo! It makes my Shakespeare feel like I’m cranking on a weighted line.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:15 PM, Roadkilll said:

Thank you! Those have been two of three constant names. I’m just getting back into the swing of things after a decade plus of medical crud. I’m finally allowed to get in the sun n heat, to get in water, touch fish, go hunting, get guys n stuff on me, do manchild things again. lol. I was hoping the Conflict was made "Onshore"... but it’s such a smooth dadgum reel and combo! It makes my Shakespeare feel like I’m cranking on a weighted line.

New production Z Series as well.

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

On 5/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, TimS said:

TimS

It's a Walmart Country - they will make more profit selling cheap Chinese junk that is designed to wear out fast, so people buy another one rather than send something in for a repair.

Those who know, do not talk; those who talk, do not know. - Tao Te Ching 56

Defeat exists only in the minds of defeated men, and I will never be one of them.

9 hours ago, The Zen Master said:

It's a Walmart Country - they will make more profit selling cheap Chinese junk that is designed to wear out fast, so people buy another one rather than send something in for a repair.

Except the post above yours points out that they, instead, are manufacturing another series in the US :read: 

6 mins ago, TimS said:

Except the post above yours points out that they, instead, are manufacturing another series in the US :read: 

I am a natural born cynic for sure, sir. I do not trust anyone in PE or on Wall Street, period.

Those who know, do not talk; those who talk, do not know. - Tao Te Ching 56

Defeat exists only in the minds of defeated men, and I will never be one of them.