22 posts in this topic

 

22 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

Heard through the grapevine Penn sold off and has new owners and we'll be making changes....any truth to this?

It was sold to private equity in January 2019.  The PE firm now owns bu Garcia, All Star, Berkley, Chub, Fenwick, Greys, Hardy, Hodgman, Johnson, JRC, Mitchell, Penn, Pflueger, Sebile, Shakespeare, SpiderWire, Stren, and Ugly Stik.  They are only concerned with profits and will cut mfg costs and most likely quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odiemike86 said:

They are only concerned with profits and will cut mfg costs and most likely quality.

I’m not sure that’s necessarily fair or true - all corporations are concerned with profits but they are also concerned with survival. If they allow quality to drop they’ll lose market share and that negatively affects profits :read: 

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, TimS said:

I’m not sure that’s necessarily fair or true - all corporations are concerned with profits but they are also concerned with survival. If they allow quality to drop they’ll lose market share and that negatively affects profits :read: 

 

TimS

Probably not a fair statement but i have seen what PE firms do to the operations once they acquire a company. All thoes brands have a large established marketshare so a gradual decline i quality will not be noticed by the majority of the consumers. People will still buy shakespear penn combos at wallmart no matter the quality. Thats just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, TimS said:

I’m not sure that’s necessarily fair or true - all corporations are concerned with profits but they are also concerned with survival. If they allow quality to drop they’ll lose market share and that negatively affects profits :read: 

 

TimS

Private equity is private equity. Unless you're part of the group, nobody really has any idea what will happen. When PE bought my beloved Victory Brewing (they bought Southern Tier too), I figured that was the end of Victory. But that was two years ago, and if they've changed, I haven't noticed.

I for one am going to wait and see how this plays out. I think the fine folks on Hunting Park Avenue have earned the benefit of the doubt. :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, Belmo said:

Private equity is private equity. Unless you're part of the group, nobody really has any idea what will happen. When PE bought my beloved Victory Brewing (they bought Southern Tier too), I figured that was the end of Victory. But that was two years ago, and if they've changed, I haven't noticed.

I for one am going to wait and see how this plays out. I think the fine folks on Hunting Park Avenue have earned the benefit of the doubt. :th:

I almost always hate it when I agree with you :squid:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

People said the same when Pure fishing bought Penn. What happened? Good things like the Clash, Slammer 3, and Fathoms came out which have been workhorses for me and people who fish on my boat. I I had been buying Avet conventionals and Shimano spin reels for over a decade.

Edited by blacklabnh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me, please, which models of Penn reels are still made in the USA? I’ve asked this question at a dozen places around San Antone, Corpus and Kerrville, but I get answers from things that happened 15yrs ago on up to this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I’m aware the Internationals and Torques are made in the US...but it has been a few years since I heard this officially :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! Those have been two of three constant names. I’m just getting back into the swing of things after a decade plus of medical crud. I’m finally allowed to get in the sun n heat, to get in water, touch fish, go hunting, get guys n stuff on me, do manchild things again. lol. I was hoping the Conflict was made "Onshore"... but it’s such a smooth dadgum reel and combo! It makes my Shakespeare feel like I’m cranking on a weighted line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 5:15 PM, Roadkilll said:

Thank you! Those have been two of three constant names. I’m just getting back into the swing of things after a decade plus of medical crud. I’m finally allowed to get in the sun n heat, to get in water, touch fish, go hunting, get guys n stuff on me, do manchild things again. lol. I was hoping the Conflict was made "Onshore"... but it’s such a smooth dadgum reel and combo! It makes my Shakespeare feel like I’m cranking on a weighted line.

New production Z Series as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, TimS said:

I’m not sure that’s necessarily fair or true - all corporations are concerned with profits but they are also concerned with survival. If they allow quality to drop they’ll lose market share and that negatively affects profits :read: 

 

TimS

It's a Walmart Country - they will make more profit selling cheap Chinese junk that is designed to wear out fast, so people buy another one rather than send something in for a repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Zen Master said:

It's a Walmart Country - they will make more profit selling cheap Chinese junk that is designed to wear out fast, so people buy another one rather than send something in for a repair.

Except the post above yours points out that they, instead, are manufacturing another series in the US :read: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, TimS said:

Except the post above yours points out that they, instead, are manufacturing another series in the US :read: 

I am a natural born cynic for sure, sir. I do not trust anyone in PE or on Wall Street, period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.