Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Eh, one keeper on three trips. It’s weird. The fish are definitely there, I just can’t get them to eat. I practically threw the kayak at them today and ended up a six hour kayak trip with like 4 shorts.

i don’t know if this rain lately is killing it or what. Water temp was reading between like 60 degrees and 66 degrees. (Outgoing tide)

Edited by Pma531

1 hour ago, Pma531 said:

Eh, one keeper on three trips. It’s weird. The fish are definitely there, I just can’t get them to eat. I practically threw the kayak at them today and ended up a six hour kayak trip with like 4 shorts.

How do you know the fish are there? 

If you're fishing anywhere in the back bay/river/marsh...this time of year, try killies. No killies, spearing. Egg sinker, 12" 8lb floro leader, #4 octopus, light freshwater spinner...don't wait to set the hook lol. 

You just explained my day. Fishing the back with single jigs, jigs with a teaser, all different colors and styles of gulp including shrimp, strips of bluefish, killies, all on light line and small spinners. Small hop, big hop, no hop, etc. Fished both sides of the tide too.

Im assuming the fish are there. They are every year. They bit ok at the end of the incoming for legitimately like 10 mins. Only thing I didn’t have was spearing. I guess I’m missing all my pro tips from a certain YouTuber that’s too busy crushing smallmouth! Lol hahahahaha

Edited by Pma531

29 mins ago, Pma531 said:

I guess I’m missing all my pro tips from a certain YouTuber that’s too busy crushing smallmouth! Lol hahahahaha

LOL!

Actually, if you wanted to stick with artificials (assuming you have more than a couple ft of vis), that 4" shad impact might be worth a shot. Ultimately it's hard to beat a live killie in the early back bays...and that small hook/light line will get you bit 3x more if they're finicky.

If you think about it, gulp is a rather crude soft bait, in both action and esp color. In colder water temps the scent doesn't seem to get them going nearly as much anyway.

Yea, it was definitely one of those days that leave you scratching your head. I tried everything I could of. Lol not just me too. Not

much boat traffic but the boat guys I talked to had ran all over the place and still came up empty.

ill watch your videos again on the impact shad and pick up a few.

23 hours ago, Pma531 said:

i don’t know if this rain lately is killing it or what. Water temp was reading between like 60 degrees and 66 degrees. (Outgoing tide)

Similar to my trip on Thursday on the kayak. Hit an early season spot that usually produces a bunch but only pulled out 4 total, 2 being keepers. Live killies outproduced the gulp

Edited by Reelfisher101

went out to the beaches and only fished out 12 fluke but no keepers but got a nice gator blue as my bait was going down