Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyplug1

CAST NET WHAT TYPE TO BUY

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I am thinking of buying a cast net I have seen them made with mono and other materials.  Which is the best?  Would be just using it from the beach and harbor.  also curious about suggestions for size of mesh and overall sixe of net.  thanks Charlie

get the small one. 3ft. means 6 ft round. get w real lead ....some new ones say non toxic and its not heavy enough. practice in grasss area throwing from picnic table. most importantly you tube darsizzle how to video!

I’d recommend a 6’ radius. You’ll be throwing it decently in no time. A 3’ net is going to be practically useless for you in no time.

The species you’ll be targeting largely determines the mesh size. I use a 6’ with 5/8” mesh and 1.1 pounds per foot for weight. I primarily use it for mullet down south. I use a 10’ net up north for pogies with the same mesh size and weight.

If you want to get real ambitious, this is by far the best method I’ve found for throwing a 10’+ net.

What are you throwing at? 

The wrong mesh size can mean a 'christmas tree" of small baits stuck in the net at the gills - loads of fun ripping off their heads to get em untangled

I currently have a 6' radius Betts No-Spook that I'm extremely happy with

Posted (edited) · Report post

How large is the type of bait you are trying to net?  That really determines what size mesh you need. 

For a good all around type net.  Get an 8 foot, 3/8 inch mesh.  Any net under 8 feet is basically too small and not much more than a toy. An 8ft net is essentially double the size of a 6 foot net and not much harder to throw.

Edited by Cpalms

I throw from shore and use a 5 foot net with 3/8 oz mono mesh with lead weights with good results to catch mullet and shrimp. Betts make good cast nets for the money.

3 hours ago, Kapfish said:

Just at a glance I'm gonna say Sudsy's how to video is far superior.

What do you think...a little love for Darcizzle?

I am with the 8ft crowd; that's a size you won't need to move out of. You can throw it easily, even off boats, and it's not going to be too small.

Mesh needs to be 1/4-1/2. If you are bait fishing primarily for greenbacks, plichards, or chubs go with 1/4 to 3/8; if you are going for finger mullets, cigar minnows or pinfish get 1/2. You probably aren't throwing for eating mullets so you don't need 3/4 or bigger.

You should get a mono net with less than 100lbs test braid for two reasons: 1) thicker braid sinks slower 2) most important if you get your net stuck, you need to have something you tear free. Nobody likes a torn net, but not being able to retrieve your net is way worse.

The weight of the lead should be better 1 to 1.5(on the heavy side) lbs per foot. The 1.5lbs gets old after throw 6 of 20, so I would try to go closer to the 1lbs mark.

Take in account what bait fish you are targeting, how much bait are you looking to get. solo trip or multiple trips freezer. Think about the mesh opening size. If your looking for spearing, not the same cast net you would use for bunker.

19 hours ago, RockRonin said:

What do you think...a little love for Darcizzle?

I started using her technique 3 years ago. Way faster setup then the way i used to do it and just as accurate

I think I'll watch it again a few times :naughty:

As others have said mesh size is solely determimed by the size of bait you are targeting.  Too small of mesh and it sinks to slow for bigger bait or cant support the weight. Too big of mesh and you've got a mess of gilled fish.

Id go 8 ft radius or up. Any smaller and you'll want to upgrade and the technique for throwimg smaller nets won't transfer to larger nets.

I learned on a 12ft radius just fine. Watch all the youtube videos you can and practice in grass until you're throwimg perfect pancakes.

When I’m netting mullet at the beach, the last thing I want to do is wade in amongst them, just so I can give the heave ho on a large net. Bad Ju Ju in there. Big tooth sharks in there.

I prefer a smaller three and a half foot net, 3/8 mesh, real lead weights. I tie an extension of rope, about double, and throw it like a Frisbee for long distance. I’m not harvesting mullet, I’m gathering some bait.

A large net catches more, but you have to get closer to them. Sometimes that’s easy enough, other times not so easy. Most times I go there are small schools shooting past, not close enough to throw a large net, me anyways, and the smaller net reaches out and gets me all that I want.

Just make sure you can throw whatever you get. If you can’t get any distance, catching bait at the beach isn’t easy.