Pma531

2019 Outback-Bed Extender Mod

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the new Outback and use the Harbor Freight Bed Extender with it. One of the things I noticed was that just forward for the rudder, the hull comes to a point in the center. That’s the point of the hull in the rear that sits on the bed extender.

I may be wrong but I figured that during transport, the hull has some stress at that point. From potholes, bumps, etc. This is my attempt at trying to fix it. The way I load and unload the kayak, I shouldn’t have an issue with the mod. What do you guys think? Also, you are not going to hurt my feelings if you say it’s not needed. It took $20 and parts I had laying around in the garage. 

C06F0281-DB98-475E-9F59-A472CBF56282.jpeg

735A82F7-F431-43DB-9E69-3F3BCAA239F8.jpeg

Edited by Pma531

The ideas there but Imo, i dont think you're getting the result you intended...... the foam cylinders aren't supporting the weight of the kayak, they'll just depress with any weight on them & the sensitive center pt you are concerned about is still resting on the extender albeit with a layer of foam between them.

The clamps threaded rod is clamping over air & will move on you very easily, you would need to clamp much closer to the extenders bar to avoid that..

I did something similar with my bed extender with  saddles...

20190529_181526.jpg.5da8313a5d88c3dd301d5d682aa30c7a.jpg

Half-and-half.

I had the saddles already, I just made the clamps.......

You can get separate saddles like that from E- trailer for 15 bucks a pop but they don't have the clamps with them they're just a replacement saddle they sell if you break one.

You can use a U-bolt & some nuts from home depot... this set Originally came with u- bolt type clamps....

20190529_185530.jpg.c4d2a5a3ab987cb3902c66f3886b513b.jpg

I found something similar to what you have but it was $109 for the set. I’ll keep looking. That would be a great option though!!! As long as it takes some of the stress off the hull, It makes me feel a little better.

believe it or not, the bottom of the hull it’s like an 1/8th of an inch off the extender.

Bummer........ had that $15.00 replacement saddle i spoke of bookmarked, just visited the site & it looks like its not sold any more but they do have this one.....

20190529_201853.jpg.adb8a4527bb477aab8f8167c1f7af9d3.jpg

I had the same issue with the compass when I owned it. I just loaded the kayak stern first  into the back of the SUV. (but it started ripping the carpet.)

I like the idea and it definitely wont hurt anything. That being said I load mine stern first. I used to put a small piece of pool noodle for some cushion but most of the time I don't use anything. 

53 mins ago, Surfinator said:

I like the idea and it definitely wont hurt anything. That being said I load mine stern first. I used to put a small piece of pool noodle for some cushion but most of the time I don't use anything. 

I saw a video of someone loading it stern first. I dunno. Just seems like it’d be a pain in the ass with the rudder and all. But I guess you’d get used to loading it that way.

It’s actually a lot easier. You don’t need the plastic block if you load it stern first.  I just wheel it up to the bar, rest the stern on it. Then push it on from the bow. When you start pushing, the stern rises up and you can push it almost the whole way without any contact on the rudder. 

15 hours ago, BillZ said:

The ideas there but Imo, i dont think you're getting the result you intended...... the foam cylinders aren't supporting the weight of the kayak, they'll just depress with any weight on them & the sensitive center pt you are concerned about is still resting on the extender albeit with a layer of foam between them.

The clamps threaded rod is clamping over air & will move on you very easily, you would need to clamp much closer to the extenders bar to avoid that..

I did something similar with my bed extender with  saddles...

20190529_181526.jpg.5da8313a5d88c3dd301d5d682aa30c7a.jpg

i like that idea.

the foam and pool noodles are dangerous!

i loaded two kayaks on top of my trailer with custom 8020 extrusion racks... it was as tight as i could get it with the straps but as i crossed GWB and on Cross Bronx, i realized that my paddle was extending out making a left turn signal.

stopped to realize all the foam basically compressed and what was very tight was now loose and was only a couple of bumps away from having to pick up kayaks in the middle of the highway.

i'm going to try installing saddles on the racks or find a denser and thinner foam.

4 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

Just flip the kayak upside down?

I could. I have the boga attached to it, fishfinder, and livewell though. I loaded and unloaded with it today. It actually seemed to work just fine. I’ll definitely look into some options others have mentioned.