saltydawg

Ocean drownings

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

We have had an increasing number of ocean swimmers drowning locally over the past 5 years (7 already this year), despite the towns constantly increasing their efforts to prevent them. I thought it was a localized phenomenon until I saw a news story saying that the nation as a whole was facing the same problem. 

I am am not seeing an increase in the number of swimmers equivalent in proportion to the rise in drownings...what the hell is going on? People too out of shape to swim these days?

1 min ago, saltydawg said:

We have had an increasing number of ocean swimmers drowning locally over the past 5 years (7 already this year), despite the towns constantly increasing their efforts to prevent them. I thought it was a localized phenomenon until I saw a news story saying that the nation as a whole was facing the same problem. 

I am am not seeing an increase in the number of swimmers equivalent in proportion to the rise in drownings...what the hell is going on? People too out of shape to swim these days?

7 drownings this year? Where do you live?

I think, could be wrong, that NC has a higher rate due to the strong rip currents.

Plus you have more swimmers from the South that can't read the "Caution Strong Rip Current" signs that are everywhere. 

2 mins ago, ByronPA said:

I think, could be wrong, that NC has a higher rate due to the strong rip currents.

Plus you have more swimmers from the South that can't read the "Caution Strong Rip Current" signs that are everywhere. 

All reported drownings this year have been blamed on rip currents.

And our tourist industry thrives on Michigan and NJ/Maryland folks...so maybe the large gold chains weighting them down? 

Actually, I think a large percentage of the drownings that occur on OBX are Pennsylvanians. I think people that only get to the beach one week a year just don't take the threat seriously. They've never watch a 10 oz pyramid roll down the beach at 20 mph..

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, saltydawg said:

Carteret County, NC

Can inbred ppl even learn to swim?

Edited by wasy

Posted (edited) · Report post

other than rip currents (not sure if its a real thing or not, but the east coast beaches from jersey south, and especially the Carolinas, seem to have worse rip currents, east facing versus south facing??)…. I don't think I've heard of one that wasn't late night/early morning and involving booze. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

Do they do beach replenishment in the areas down there where the drownings are more prevalent?

Here in Jersey, every time they replenish, the number of drownings spikes

Also the number of head and neck injuries due to the waves breaking right at the edge

33 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Texting while swimming has become a major issue

You may not be far off.

I almost had to make a save myself this weekend, 5 year old got pounded in the shore break, momma too busy on the book of faces or something to notice

Growing up in Rockaway Beach NY, there were always a few drownings every year. I never recall it being a local but someone who was Down For the Day (we call them DFD's). People just don't understand how dangerous the ocean can be.

15 mins ago, ByronPA said:

Actually, I think a large percentage of the drownings that occur on OBX are Pennsylvanians. I think people that only get to the beach one week a year just don't take the threat seriously. They've never watch a 10 oz pyramid roll down the beach at 20 mph..

I had a thread a few years ago. Pennsylvanians at the beach.