Crozzbow

North of Portland (2019)

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

Thanks for the mention Crozzbow. This was a combined trip. Catch a few and give my GF some time on the water. She likes to ride around rather than drift and fish. She was ready to bail as the no see us

were all over her. Bugs weren't bad this morning.  Had 7 this morning from the yak after a slow start at low tide. A few thirties. All on sluggos and poppers. Dropped a bunch as they were boiling or short strikes. Nothing on tube and worm.A soft rain was welcomed keeping the heat down. 

1 hour ago, Crozzbow said:

LOL...  As with I, however I have to work a little harder on the SOB part.

Tight Lines My Friend.

If they had colleges devoted to it, I'd be the dean.  

Tight lines to you as well.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Chalkdust said:

Had 7 this morning from the yak after a slow start at low tide. A few thirties. All on sluggos and poppers. Dropped a bunch as they were boiling or short strikes. Nothing on tube and worm.

Okay, keep it up but just be sure you are leaving some for me.  I'll have to start watching a"slugger/popper from a kayak" show every now and then. 

Believe it or not my tube and worm shows are starting to wear on me a bit. I have reached a point where catching striped bass from a kayak with the T&W rigs has become way too easy.

Edited by Crozzbow

I meant a sluggo or a popper. Single hook in the sluggo makes them easy to remove. I crush the barbs on plugs, so dropping a fish from time to time is no biggie. 

1 hour ago, Chalkdust said:

I meant a sluggo or a popper. Single hook in the sluggo makes them easy to remove. I crush the barbs on plugs, so dropping a fish from time to time is no biggie. 

Yeah, I knew that much. 

If my sluggo / popper notiation was a bit confusing, I apologize. It's just my way of indicating an "either / or situation".

Well, I lucked out this morning (sort of) when I checked my activity coordinator’s (wife) schedule and discovered that none of today’s activities included me. I quickly announced that the free time I was seeing on the schedule would be used for another round of sea trials on my yellow Hobie. Then, when the trials were complete, I would follow up with a few hours chasing striped bass.

I was preparing to take some strong negative push back from the activity coordinator but all she did was roll her eyes and tell me to have fun. I was so stunned that when she asked me where I intended to hold this sea trial / fishing event my mind went blank. I ended up telling her that I was going to fish one of the secluded coves that I successfully fished in the past. It was a cove that she had kayaked with me several times so I new what was coming next. The first thing that came out of her mouth was “Isn’t that the cove with the rough launch that tore you’re back up the last time you launched your kayak there??”

As somebody who is in their mid-sixties, just the mere mention of the term “rough launch” sent painful tremors up and down my spine. I just blew it off and told her that “I planned on being a lot more careful this time”

After single handedly taking the Hobie down off my truck rack, dragging it on a set of wheels across a real busy road, removing the wheels and man handling the kayak down a set of stairs and across a section of mud flats that were more slippery than whale snot, I decided to can the sea trials and just launch.

Fifteen minutes after launch I caught and released the first fish of the day. A quick measurement showed it to be 24 inches long, plus or minus an inch. Over the next thirty minutes I picked up a handful of more fish in that same length bracket.

Overall, there were a lot of free-floating weeds in that cove that made the trolling of my tube and worm rigs extremely difficult. When I finally called it quits, I had caught and released a little more fish than a dozen. All but two of those fish fell into the same length bracket as the first fish I caught today. The two other fish were a little bit longer. One was 26 inches long and the other was 27 inches long.

Using the same steps (pun not even funny) in reverse order got my kayak back on the truck racks and I got home a little earlier than planned. My activity coordinator wasn’t home, so I used the time to clean up an try a little preventive care on my back.

An hour later, my activity coordinator walked through the door and the first words out of her mouth were (Is that Ben Gay I’m smelling?”)

Hey, does anybody out there in SOL land think I'm getting a little too far off the reservation with some of these North of Portland Postings ??

Posted (edited) · Report post

Crozz, I probably echo MANY others but speaking for myself I absolutely love your posts.  You've got a technique down pat and I'm sure there are lots of guys and gals that have learned from your info.  

In short, don't quit and keep your eyes peeled for a PM from me in the not too distant future.

Edited by harlycarly

I woke up early enough this morning to finish most of today’s to-do list ahead of schedule. This in turn earned me enough points on the activity coordinator’s (wife) bean count board to buy a few hours on the water chasing striped bass.

I launched the kayak at approximately 10:30 am just as the sun was peeking out from an overcast sky. Aside from the currents provided by the incoming tide flows the waters in front of the launch were calm. However, it didn’t take very long before I spotted several schools of very agitated silvery bait fish breaking the surface of the water with a striped bass or two in pursuit. I couldn’t be sure but, the baitfish looked like silverside minnows.

It didn’t really matter much at the time because all I had on board at the time were my trusty tube rigs and a bag and a half of bloodworms. I decided to leave bait fish schools alone for a bit and concentrate on some underwater structure that I was aware about in the area and how the currents were flowing around them.

The largest aggravation of the day was the free-floating sea grass and weeds that made trolling tube and worm rigs difficult. However, during my first hour and a half of fishing the rigs and with a little patience on my part, I managed to catch and release a large bunch of striped bass.  On average these fish measured somewhere between 18 inches to 25 inches in length. 

For the next hour and a half, I started to pay a lot more attention to the schools of bait fish that were still hanging around in large numbers. After a little experimentation I found that by trolling my tube and worm rigs just aft of an active school of bait I could usually pick up several striped bass before I’d have to move on to another school of bait fish. 

For my efforts I was able to catch another large batch of striped bass to add to the first tally. The lengths of the second batch of fish mostly matched the first batch with the exception that there were a couple of 28-inch-long striped bass that I caught, measured twice, then released.

I called it a day at 1:30 pm with an overall tally of 37 fish caught and released with none of them measuring over 28 inches long.