Crozzbow

North of Portland (2019)

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, yinzerheader said:

Thanks Crozzbow! In the photos you posted through the years it looked like your rudder was rigged - the ones I've ordered are bare plastic. Did you rig them yourself, with wire?

Yes. At first I was using "rigged" trolling rudders but they became hard too find. The ones I use now are ordered through the on-line source I mentioned above. Those rudders have their wire rigging embedded into the plastic from attachment point to attachment point. I usually add a split ring to each of these attachment points to make it easier for the snap swivel connections.

I got into the striped bass "fast and furious" this morning. I had just launched the kayak into the fog covered waters of a small, secluded cove when schools of small silvery fish started breaking the surface. I quickly baited the hook of my favorite scarlet red tube and worm rigging and lowered it into the waters behind the kayak. The rigging hadn't gotten more than ten feet back when the freshly baited tube was slammed hard and line was peeling of the spinning reel at a rapid pace. It took a few minutes before I got things under control and brought that twenty nine inch fish to the side of my kayak for release.  For the next four hours that same scenario repeated itself forty five more times and everyone of those silver sided beauties exceeded twenty inches in length and they all fought like demons. I went through two bags of bloodworms and approximately half of my Gulp Alive blood worms before that Blitzkreig finally ended. When I got home the first thing I did was dig out the "Ben Gay" and  squirt big gobs of that stuff on my elbow and the accompanying muscles and ligaments of my right arm. As I sit here writing this update to the North of Portland thread I can't help but remember that I hadn't really planned to fish this particular cove today and it had been a last minute decision on my part to change fishing venues this morning. Given this mornings results,I'll probably be visiting that cove a few more times this summer

4 mins ago, bdowning said:

What do you think the bait was? Tinker macks or something smaller? 

I never got a real good look at them but, they did look to be the right size for tinker macks.

Met up with @Crozzbow North of Portland yesterday and launched our kayaks about an hour and a half after low tide and got into fish shortly after. It was a sunny and bright afternoon on the water. A little windy and choppy at times but we did our best to stay in the more sheltered areas. We trolled our tube and worm rigs passing back and forth and around an island, staying relatively close to shore. He was using bloodworms and I had a few leftover bloodworms and a dozen sandworms. I had equal luck on both. Towards the end of our outing I was hooking up without delay on nice fat sandworms. It was nice being on the water with a fellow SOL member and observing Crozzbow work his magic with the T&W. I tried my best to mimic his speed and technique and I think I was definitely beginning to get the hang of it. Even though I think he still outfished me 3-to-1. All in all i think we pulled in around 25 striped bass total ranging from 14" to 31". Solid day on the water even though CB lost his hat to the wind.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yesterday (Sunday) turned out to be an exciting afternoon to be chasing striped bass from kayaks.  I was honored to have one of our fellow SOL members (TBulldog) spend some time on the water with me in his kayak. As it turned out the both of us had similar models of the Hobie Mirage pedal propelled kayaks which was a bit of a blessing. The strong winds of the afternoon would have made the fishing extra hard, but both of us were able to navigate through blustery winds and cross current wave action rather well.

Tbulldog was looking for a few tips from me on the art of finding stiped bass when the action slows down. The over all goal of the afternoon was to find the fish and not to catch as many as we could. However, right from the” get go” we both started to get hits on the tube and worms we were dragging. I was fish at some what of a handicap in that I was right in the middle of a rod holder upgrade on my kayak and had already removed the old rod holder hardware. That drove me to using only one rod versus my usual two rod tube and worm presentations.  Almost immediately I was having problems getting solid hook ups with the bass that were hitting on my tube and worm rig. I checked the hooks on both rigs and didn’t find any problems there. It took a while and a lot of lost fish on my part when it finally dawned on me that I was setting the hook to aggressively during those lost strikes. I modified hook setting technique a bit and hooking them again.  On the other hand, TBulldog was doing okay right from the beginning.

On one particularly nasty gust of wind my baseball style cap got blown off my head and rapidly sank into the depths of the sea before I could retrieve it. Not a good situation when have thin spots on top of my head that start sizzling whenever the sun hits them. Seeing as I didn’t have any spare hats on board, I improvised by wrapping my head in a sopping wet dish towel that I absconded with when the wife wasn’t looking. I probably looked real silly in it because TBulldog let his kayak drop back way behind mine while I was wearing that dishrag.

The best catch of the day was the 31-inch bruiser that I caught and released not to far of the beam of a multi-thousand-dollar cabin cruiser that had one guy and his female guest fishing bait off the stern of his boat. That 31-inch fish did everything it could to drag my kayak along side the bigger boat so it could show off it’s stuff. I was worried about catching a lead sinker on the side of my head if I let it drag me any closer.  When I finally did bring the fish to the side of the kayak for release it was beat tired, and I had to spend another 15 to 20 minutes resuscitating it before I let it go. I then looked around to see if I could find TBulldog and couldn’t spot him anywhere. That’s when I remembered I still had the dishrag wrapped around my head.

We worked our way slowly back to the launch as the day slowly wound down and continued to catch striped bass the whole way. I got back to the kayak launch site well before TBulldog (that dishrag thing again). Seeing as I was all hot, sweaty, and tired I wrapped my paddle leash around one of my ankles and used it as the primary mechanism for planting my posterior in knee deep water as I exited my kayak. The dishrag came off the head about then and Tbulldog showed up shortly after that. Just in time to assist me in loading my kayak on my truck rack.

Note: All kidding aside TBulldog was an excellent companion on the water and I enjoyed his friendship all day long. I believe our goal of finding fish with worrying about the number of fish that were caught was successfully met.  Just don’t believe him if he tells you that he caught and released more fish than me.

Edited by Crozzbow

Please excuse all the spelling and grammar errors in my postings.

I have a gremlin in my computer's proof reading capability that is doing it's best to drive me crazy

Nice reports guys. Enjoyed reading them. My son and I fished many summers “North of Portland” for Stripers in our center console and also surf fishing. We would really like to get back to our old stomping grounds with our kayaks. 

Crozzbow,

Just wanted to say that I love reading your reports as well.  Living vicariously here in Vermont!  Thanks and keep 'em coming.

3 hours ago, harlycarly said:

Crozzbow,

Just wanted to say that I love reading your reports as well.  Living vicariously here in Vermont!  Thanks and keep 'em coming.

Thanks. 

I think if you ask any of the people that I have fished with over the last few years can fully attest that it is the real me that you are seeing in those reports.

15 mins ago, Crozzbow said:

Thanks. 

I think if you ask any of the people that I have fished with over the last few years can fully attest that it is the real me that you are seeing in those reports.

There’s only one Crozzbow no doubt about that........let’s wet a line off the beach some time this summer my friend, your neighborhood or mine. Also agree with the above, love reading your kayak reports, especially those where you take people under your wing and show ‘em the ropes. Keep ‘em coming man, talk soon amigo

1 hour ago, OOB Fisherman said:

There’s only one Crozzbow no doubt about that........let’s wet a line off the beach some time this summer my friend, your neighborhood or mine. Also agree with the above, love reading your kayak reports, especially those where you take people under your wing and show ‘em the ropes. Keep ‘em coming man, talk soon amigo

Hey good buddy 

I just might take you up on that invite. Should I bring a strobe light for the lifeguard,s chair so we can find our way back after the sun goes down and everything goes dark.:shaky:

23 mins ago, Crozzbow said:

Hey good buddy 

I just might take you up on that invite. Should I bring a strobe light for the lifeguard,s chair so we can find our way back after the sun goes down and everything goes dark.:shaky:

Hahahaha that’s a good plan, either that or we string the thing up with Xmas lights so we can’t walk past it. Give me a jingle, bigger fish have started moving in and I’m about ready to get on ‘em

Hey all!  I am moving to Phippsburg in about 2 weeks from Georgia.  I grew up in NJ and am looking forward to being back by the beach.  I'll be about 8 miles from Popham Beach.  I currently only fish from the surf and I'll hopefully get a kayak or boat down the road.  I'll be looking to meet up with people to fish with in the next couple of weeks.

The house we are buying is on 209 near Lee's Island.  Are there any stripers to be had from the banks of the Kennebec in that area?  Thanks and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you!

3 hours ago, TerryNJ said:

The house we are buying is on 209 near Lee's Island.  Are there any stripers to be had from the banks of the Kennebec in that area?  Thanks and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you!

The short answer is yes there are a lot of places were the Kennebec can be fished from the banks. Also, as a resident of Phippsburg the town provides several good access points to the river that are "resident only" requiring verification by a pass issued by the town office.