Wilgabeast

June new moon

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Check this out, looking good for Cape Cod Bay up to Boston with water temps improving.  We should see a little sample tonight of what it will be like this week.  Rest up folks and be ready!!!!!

7F5D2456-E22B-45F9-B193-4F68CA9F8EC2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

There is a beach close to the in-laws house that I like to fish when I'm there. That beach seems to be great for bluefish but I only catch small stripers there......never any bigger size ones. It has a jetty and that whole area does get packed. I'd say the crowded conditions are worse there than any I've experienced at the canal. Plus I see alot of people there that just keep every fish they catch......I guess they are desperate. Small stripers, bluefish, scups by the bag full, etc. Last year I didn't get a single bluefish there.....just a few small stripers. I think the bluefish were late or I was early. Hope its a little better there this year. 

Usually, those same beaches have the bigger fish at night.  On my vacation, I don't fish daylight just after the family goes to sleep that's when I find the quality fish.

Giving it another go shortly.  The bite slowed down after Saturday nights 60 degree water temps.  Sw wind has chilled the water to 51 in parts of Mass Bay. Huge difference in temp for the east facing beach's. 

Hopefully buzzbay and the canal will turn on now. Shows promise.

rutgets.jpg

Well spent the past week at the Cape and returned home yesterday. If I had to sum up my trip in one word I would say ........humbling. My 5 trips to the canal resulted in 3 skunks. I was fishing the wrong end for the early part of the week. After I figured out what was going on I did manage to catch a few fish. Biggest was 36"....not a bad fish. However the guy on my left got a 36 LBer! ......guy on right got a 46 LBer! HOLY CRAP! They were both great guys.....gave me lots of tips and info. These are both local guys with 25+ yrs experience with the canal and fish there all the time. I was watching both these guys technique and tried to copy, but I don't quite have the jigging thing down yet. My 1 week trips per year are never going to result in any great skill level, but maybe I'll luck into a quality fish at some point. Better luck next year.

Also took a few trips to the beach. My 1st trip was just for an hour or so and I caught a few bluefish there .......which was awesome as I love catching those hard fighting bluefish! . The next time I went there were seals there and I caught nothing. The seals stayed around there and I never caught another fish at the beach.

Thanks for sharing I talked to a friend who fishes the Canal who said "the bite has been mostly jigging, match the hatch with some thing that looks like a tinker mackerel and you should be tight"