Wilgabeast

June new moon

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the June New Moon usually  bring strong tidal swings? I took a look at all the tide variations for the Summer  and they aren’t really impressive until August. At least that is the projection for the North Shore

9 hours ago, z-man said:

Based on the reports and YouTube videos there seems to be a lot more bass and blues in NJ and Long Island than MA right now. How did the canal become this magical destination that people are driving hundreds of miles to get to?  It’s like Disney World for fisherman. Meanwhile I live 30 minutes from the canal but drive right past it to fish more peaceful waters. 

Most nowadays would rather drive 6 hours and hope for some blitz, rather than learn how to fish their home waters. They are getting blues into the 20# range there too

27 mins ago, TonyO said:

Most nowadays would rather drive 6 hours and hope for some blitz, rather than learn how to fish their home waters. They are getting blues into the 20# range there too

They need 30lb fish literally jumping Into their laps to keep them happy.

40 mins ago, TonyO said:

It seems crazy to me to drive 6 hours to park in a parking lot walk down a paved path and fish a man made shipping  channel. Cape cod has some of the best beaches in the US. Go explore them. See some nature.  There’s more to fishing than just catching.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

real rookie question but for tide charts at the canal whats the best to look for ( is incoming the best . ect )

, I've caught fish at every tide but always hear people mention it I figured if the bait is the fish will

Edited by tatumbetter

19 hours ago, FoliFish said:

Because its the easiest fishing on the east coast when looking for "trophy" striped bass.  The past few years its become laughable.  Seriously, what other striped bass fishery is as predictable, easy to get to and easy to access?  NONE!! 

Why beat your brains in fishing countless hours in the middle of the night to hopefully have a shot at a trophy fish in your home waters when you can open the ACOE tide table  in January and pick the time and day you want to get one lol.

Exactly 

19 hours ago, FoliFish said:

Actually, you don;t even need to work THAT hard.  Just wait for InstaFaceChat to blow up with real time hero reports and show up the next morning

This, too. And you can add this place to the list as well 

20 hours ago, z-man said:

Based on the reports and YouTube videos there seems to be a lot more bass and blues in NJ and Long Island than MA right now. How did the canal become this magical destination that people are driving hundreds of miles to get to?  It’s like Disney World for fisherman. Meanwhile I live 30 minutes from the canal but drive right past it to fish more peaceful waters. 

I'm not driving hundreds of miles to get to the canal. I'm a PA trout fisherman and up until about 7 years ago I had never heard of the Cape Cod Canal and had never ever tried to catch a striper, but I married a Mass girl and her folks have a house on the cape, so we come up to visit every year and stay for a week or so. So put yourself in my shoes.....you gonna spend a week going to gift shops in Hyannis with wife and mother-in-law?.......sit on back porch all week with Dad-in-law talking about things I know nothing about?......or go catch a few fish? .....what would you do?

16 hours ago, Theseeker66 said:

I'm from nj. No pro here but everywhere I know that will be consistent can fit about 5 guys casting before it's a nightmare.  Surfcasting is pretty lean down here.Or you can hit the charter boats.    

Me and a buddy are coming up there early.  We know bigger fish aren't there yet. But also know we better get some time and experience in before it turns into the circus everyone talks about. 

I am in no way trying to discourage you from fishing the canal, but I think you should hear this.  In fact, I am happy the Canal is the focus area as it keeps people away from my local areas and focused down there.

I used to drive all the way out to Race Point (3 hours and usually 4+ hours with traffic) and the National Seashore from Boston, because I knew it had fish and the access was easy.  I caught plenty of striped bass, but never any truly big ones.  When I had my son the ability to make long trips dried up.  After a year with only 9 fishing trips in it, I had to adapt and decided to focus on figuring out the areas closest to my house.  I now primarily fish less than 20 minutes from my home and I catch way more big fish than I did chasing the bite far away.  The canal is less than half the distance of Race Point (50 minutes drive roughly) so my closest "Well Known Fishing Spot", but I find myself going there less and less each year because I have developed areas near my home I can hit in a short window and have opportunities at fish in the 40-47 inch class without the crowds and other negative attributes at the canal.   Though I have never had any days locally as good as my best Canal days, in fact, it is not even close (2017 was nuts at Ditch) but catching one large fish in an area with no one or very few anglers that I figured out myself is more rewarding.

The area around my house is nothing special if you asked my opinion about it back in 2014 I would have said something very similar to what you said about it being lean and spots are small and easily crowded.  But when I was forced to put in the effort hitting it regularly on the night shift I was amazed at what I found.  The spot that is the closest to my house ,a 6-minute drive, has produced more fish in the 20-pound class on a fly rod than any other area for me.  Its purely because I have it so dialed in I can be there at the right place and the right time.  Most of the time that spot is skunk city, but if you know the right set of conditions it provides opportunities for big fish in very skinny water.  Less time in the car equals more time on the water.  Just some food for thought.

14 hours ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the June New Moon usually  bring strong tidal swings? I took a look at all the tide variations for the Summer  and they aren’t really impressive until August. At least that is the projection for the North Shore

It varies year to year.  Sometimes the full moon tides are better than the new moon tides in my area.  I take each month's tide calendar and analyze over the window to ID the periods of greatest water movement. So going into March I have all my dates noted on my 6 month calendar.  I find how it varies very interesting.

11 hours ago, z-man said:

It seems crazy to me to drive 6 hours to park in a parking lot walk down a paved path and fish a man made shipping  channel. Cape cod has some of the best beaches in the US. Go explore them. See some nature.  There’s more to fishing than just catching.  

The beaches suck, there are no fish there, the fish are only in the canal, come one come all!

1 hour ago, Redneck Tourist said:

I'm not driving hundreds of miles to get to the canal. I'm a PA trout fisherman and up until about 7 years ago I had never heard of the Cape Cod Canal and had never ever tried to catch a striper, but I married a Mass girl and her folks have a house on the cape, so we come up to visit every year and stay for a week or so. So put yourself in my shoes.....you gonna spend a week going to gift shops in Hyannis with wife and mother-in-law?.......sit on back porch all week with Dad-in-law talking about things I know nothing about?......or go catch a few fish? .....what would you do?

You’re on a family vacation so that’s a bit different but you should still explore some new areas the next time you’re here. I’m sure you’ll like what you find. 

In my post above I’m referring to the guys that take long trips to the canal just for fishing for a couple days then driving home.  That’s what seems crazy to me. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

You’re on a family vacation so that’s a bit different but you should still explore some new areas the next time you’re here. I’m sure you’ll like what you find. 

In my post above I’m referring to the guys that take long trips to the canal just for fishing for a couple days then driving home.  That’s what seems crazy to me. 

There is a beach close to the in-laws house that I like to fish when I'm there. That beach seems to be great for bluefish but I only catch small stripers there......never any bigger size ones. It has a jetty and that whole area does get packed. I'd say the crowded conditions are worse there than any I've experienced at the canal. Plus I see alot of people there that just keep every fish they catch......I guess they are desperate. Small stripers, bluefish, scups by the bag full, etc. Last year I didn't get a single bluefish there.....just a few small stripers. I think the bluefish were late or I was early. Hope its a little better there this year.