Wilgabeast

June new moon

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, blacklabnh said:

only the fools from NJ. No reason to leave NJ to head north until the bunker do. 

Two weeks ago I hit the canal for the first time.  All seven anglers within talking distance of me were from NJ. I was surprised they headed North in May figured plenty of fish still down in Jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Two weeks ago I hit the canal for the first time.  All seven anglers within talking distance of me were from NJ. I was surprised they headed North in May figured plenty of fish still down in Jersey.

It’s sad isnt it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

It’s sad isnt it 

These were actually two groups and both of them seemed friendly and were considerate fishermen.  So it was not a negative, but I said to them "you know I am still waiting for the big fish to show up not sure why you left NJ".  They said the bass were all gone and it was only bluefish.  Seemed wrong to me but I have almost no NJ fishing experience so did not argue the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

These were actually two groups and both of them seemed friendly and were considerate fishermen.  So it was not a negative, but I said to them "you know I am still waiting for the big fish to show up not sure why you left NJ".  They said the bass were all gone and it was only bluefish.  Seemed wrong to me but I have almost no NJ fishing experience so did not argue the point.

Based on the reports and YouTube videos there seems to be a lot more bass and blues in NJ and Long Island than MA right now. How did the canal become this magical destination that people are driving hundreds of miles to get to?  It’s like Disney World for fisherman. Meanwhile I live 30 minutes from the canal but drive right past it to fish more peaceful waters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Graveyard Shift Moved from NJ to MA in Sept. Based on my experience of the spring run the last few years, around now is when the cow bass hit the ocean and make their migration north. To second @z-man, I know NJ charters are SLAMMING big bass now and there is tons of bait around in the NJ waters. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the 30lb+  aren't here in big numbers for a little while.  I think it would be reasonable to expect 20-pound class fish with more consistency any day around here, at least that is my expectation and how I am preparing for my trips the next week or so. Maybe I'm just not in the right spots and people are already getting larger fish here, but last week was a fun week of schoolie catching for me in Central MA.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, greenmachine96 said:

@The Graveyard Shift Moved from NJ to MA in Sept. Based on my experience of the spring run the last few years, around now is when the cow bass hit the ocean and make their migration north. To second @z-man, I know NJ charters are SLAMMING big bass now and there is tons of bait around in the NJ waters. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the 30lb+  aren't here in big numbers for a little while.  I think it would be reasonable to expect 20-pound class fish with more consistency any day around here, at least that is my expectation and how I am preparing for my trips the next week or so. Maybe I'm just not in the right spots and people are already getting larger fish here, but last week was a fun week of schoolie catching for me in Central MA.  

 

20lb class fish have been here in MA for two weeks got my first one on the 16th.  I am looking for those 30-40lb fish :rav:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, z-man said:

Based on the reports and YouTube videos there seems to be a lot more bass and blues in NJ and Long Island than MA right now. How did the canal become this magical destination that people are driving hundreds of miles to get to?  It’s like Disney World for fisherman. Meanwhile I live 30 minutes from the canal but drive right past it to fish more peaceful waters. 

Because its the easiest fishing on the east coast when looking for "trophy" striped bass.  The past few years its become laughable.  Seriously, what other striped bass fishery is as predictable, easy to get to and easy to access?  NONE!! 

Why beat your brains in fishing countless hours in the middle of the night to hopefully have a shot at a trophy fish in your home waters when you can open the ACOE tide table  in January and pick the time and day you want to get one lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, you don;t even need to work THAT hard.  Just wait for InstaFaceChat to blow up with real time hero reports and show up the next morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well if the month of june is anything like the month of may then catching a rainstorm or a chill might be the only thing a new moon has to offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, hotfishgirl said:

well if the month of june is anything like the month of may then catching a rainstorm or a chill might be the only thing a new moon has to offer.

I caught plenty of fish  in May ... I think this weekend will be great fishing if you know where to look 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

These were actually two groups and both of them seemed friendly and were considerate fishermen.  So it was not a negative, but I said to them "you know I am still waiting for the big fish to show up not sure why you left NJ".  They said the bass were all gone and it was only bluefish.  Seemed wrong to me but I have almost no NJ fishing experience so did not argue the point.

I'm from nj. No pro here but everywhere I know that will be consistent can fit about 5 guys casting before it's a nightmare.  Surfcasting is pretty lean down here.Or you can hit the charter boats.    

Me and a buddy are coming up there early.  We know bigger fish aren't there yet. But also know we better get some time and experience in before it turns into the circus everyone talks about. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Theseeker66 said:

I'm from nj. No pro here but everywhere I know that will be consistent can fit about 5 guys casting before it's a nightmare.  Surfcasting is pretty lean down here.Or you can hit the charter boats.    

Me and a buddy are coming up there early.  We know bigger fish aren't there yet. But also know we better get some time and experience in before it turns into the circus everyone talks about. 

 

When are you guys coming up ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.