Frugal Fisherman

Burned out with fishing

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, stranded1 said:

Even if there was no beach replenishment, 80% of those big schools of stripers have been killed off. You could have the same structure as 15 years ago and wouldn't have the same fishing---just as fishing wasn't like that 15 years before THAT. For all of your "you have to adapt" and "dick in your hand" bull****, you missed the major things that have changed. 

If you say so...I didn't deny that that stocks have been depleted over the years.  That's the obvious answer as to why folks aren't catching from the NJ surf. But, if you dont think the beach replenishment up and down the NJ coastline is a major factor you are wrong.

I dont know where big schools of fish go anymore once they spawn and leave the rivers and bays. I suspect that while there are less of them, their patterns have changed as well as there simply is no life in the surfline to keep them interested in sticking around for long anymore.  There are still some places like the canal and Block Island sound that hold tons of fish for months on end. Hell, the boats off of NJ seemed to be very productive the last few falls too chasing the migrating fish as they swim past NJ without stopping. 

Also I don't think adapting to those changes is "BS".  But you can. I was out front last night with a buddy, we searched and eventually found another good bite of teen to 20 lb bass. Beautiful night, good moon, first week of June and not another soul on the beach as far as we could see. We didn't mind. :howdy:

Edited by SIC34
Sp

On 5/28/2019 at 10:05 PM, Frugal Fisherman said:

I'm sure I'll get some classic SOL tongue-in-cheek responses to this post. I'm even hesitant to ask but here it goes. Have any of y'all ever lost your urge to go fishing?

After 4 years of fishing (fresh, sweet,or saltwater) almost daily from March through December, my want to go fishing has greatly diminished, this spring, pretty much to the point of being non-existent. 

If you have had a similar experience, what brought you back? 

Take a break from fishing and go hunting. 

Other than that,  work.  Then work some more. 

Toss in some bills, a few unexpected things like broken car, and a wedding you dont feel like attending. 

It always makes me wish I were fishing.  

On 5/29/2019 at 0:42 PM, hurricane1091 said:

I started using a bait caster in the fresh water this year which has been something to make things different. I literally got shut out 8-10 times on the river chunking bait for stripers though and  basically wanted to quit fishing all together. 

Dont fish to catch.  Seriously.  No joke.  Go fish to be with good people or by yourself.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Its a struggle I deal with regularly, the fishing just isnt the same anymore...the reward of scouting, patterning and casting to fish dwindles when so many outings go fishless. It's become a pot luck game that if you take too seriously will definetly erode the desire to continue.  That said I find deep appreciation in the memories I reignite when I'm out there, the nostalgia and the calm in the middle of a nor'easter or a desolate open beach that in my mind I know had fish in the past.  Sometimes looking back is the best way forward when things get tough in the moment and I suppose fishing isnt much different.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

On 6/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, 55555s said:

Dont fish to catch.  Seriously.  No joke.  Go fish to be with good people or by yourself.  

:headscratch:

Time not catching is better spent drinking.  

Poor results and too many douchebags out there... Plus I got a new job where going into the office disheveled wasn't an option.  So I haven't fished seriously for stripers in years... occasionally I'll wet a line just to make sure I can still meet the minimum requirements of knot tying... lol  I've forgotten so many things though... plug makers and rod builders have changed so much over the years... I have no clue... 

Great advise. I always head out think if I catch great if not who cares at least I get to soak it all in. Its also good to get a skunk session in here and there. Keeps me humble.

Why waste $$$ on tolls, gas instead fish in the local pond or your neighbor swimming pool..

3 hours ago, levari said:

Why waste $$$ on tolls, gas instead fish in the local pond or your neighbor swimming pool..

Said me,  28 days a month, 11 months a year.