Frugal Fisherman

Burned out with fishing

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

Hey Mike, I'm in the same boat as you.  My trips are minimum one hour at best, most are 90 mins.  It's taken it's toll on me.  I now consider the hazard of being tired driving home after a late night outing.  I also consider my job, I cant allow being tired to affect my work.  Then there's the smaller things like miles and wear on the car from 4/5 trips per week, sometimes more when it's on fire.  I'm a little older than you and when I consider all the fish caught in my life I begin reprioritizing.  I transitioned over to FW and can fish lakes within a mile or two of my front door each night and still be home with the wife for dinner.  I use my kayak a few times a month back on the salt that allows me to get to places where the fish are but yet are inaccessible by foot.  On a per month basis those few outings are usually more productive then 20 by foot for most.  And so I keep the great thoughts of the last outing fresh on my mind and the satisfaction of each outing gets me through to the next one with little urges to go back in between.    Not saying a kayak is for you, maybe it is, but I am saying your not alone in the burn out affect. 

10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Try to remember what aspects got you into the sport and focus on them.

Don't give two flying effs about what other people say or think....as 90% don't never did or will never do a fraction of what they say anyway. **

If you got into it to catch fish....and nothing else....well...I can see that getting old....quick.  

If there was something else.....try to figure out what that was.  And focus on that.

If you've become desensitized to it.  Nothing wrong with taking a break.

The fish aren't going anywhere.

One way I found to enjoy it more....when it becomes routine......just like work....

When not on the water....focus on anything but. (see ** :) )

Didn't you teak a break from the slat for a year or two?

I had someone ask me recently, what do you like better?  Hunting or fishing?

They're different.  

Hunting is more relaxing.  She didnt understand and said don't you just go to a dock or something and cast out and wait and hang out?  

:laugh:

I like to catch fish.  Not just go fishing.  If there's no reason to fish I'm not just going and hoping luck is on my side.  It's more of a hunt than actually hunting,  trying to find fish and figure out what's going on.  Fish are much more unpredictable, more so because of weather and conditions.  Maximize your time fellas,  don't burn yourselves out chasing schoolies in march.

Same thing happened to me, as it most likely happens to us all.  I just put all my stuff away one day, and focused on all the other life stuff I had going on.  The urge will come back, and it will happen on its own.  You can't force it, just go with the flow.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been having terrible outings and haven't had the urge to go either. I've been busy but I am sure I could of gotten in more time. I finally caught a bit the other day which makes me want to go again. I'm trying to be more selective on when I go and not force it. Forcing it usually results in not good fishing. Not always, but more often than not. I had the day off yesterday and wanted to go to the shore and fish but with 20 mph winds and looming dicey weather, I stayed home. I wasn't in the mood to drive 75 minutes and have a bad outing.

Edited by hurricane1091

As others have mentioned, try something different.  Perhaps fly fishing or just top water or.... you get the idea.  I am not a bait fisherman but one of my sons wants to catch big stripers and is convinced that is what we have to do.  I've had to learn a completely new thing.  I like the challenge.  Find the bait, catch the bait and then figure out how to use it.  Not my thing really but it has been a good learning experience.

Not sure if you have a boat or not but we picked up a bigger boat a couple of years ago and I often go out with just my wife or friends.  I always have a rod(s) (actually my wife says WAY too many rods) in the boat but rarely use them in those situations.  Really like just being out.  That is something new for me.

Finally, find someone new to fishing or new to a type of fishing (bait guy fly fishing, FW person SW fishing) to take and show them the ropes.  That has helped me find new enjoyment in upstate NY salmon fishing after doing it for years and losing interest.

Funny you should bring the subject up, I got a little flat this spring, crowds, I can't deal with them, renewed my fw lic. for the first time in years,mud carp and crappies for something different..

11 mins ago, BordnBeachBill said:

Funny you should bring the subject up, I got a little flat this spring, crowds, I can't deal with them, renewed my fw lic. for the first time in years,mud carp and crappies for something different..

Its a noticeable trend this year. 

Too much of anything, good or bad, can get old. Usually taking a break and pursuing another interest for a week or two rekindles the fishing motivation for me. Perfectly normal. :freak:

I have slowed down the last few years because of age 74 and can't walk the beach and jettys like I use to, my trips would always last 12 hrs or so, now I am lucky to get out once a month I still love it  but it is becoming too hard to do by myself

I would suggest trying something different.  I find that there are many people out there who focus so intently on catching one species of fish one particular way.  That in itself will eventually get old.  Mix it up a little bit by targeting some new species, fishing different areas, or even trying fly fishing.  When I began to fly fishing it opened up many doors and all around increased my love for the sport.  Plus, its more of a challenge, and everyone loves a good challenge.  If you are trying to get into fly fishing I would suggest getting a cheap freshwater fly rod and going to a local lake/pond and catching some bluegill.  It will boost your confidence and feel good in general to catch something on the fly.  Who knows where it will go from there...

Im burn out of fishing but i still like catching so that's what i do.   I have not gone fishing for striped bass once this spring although i have caught them.  I have kept my blue fish trips to target times and locations.  I also went sea bass fishing because that bite was hot. Basically i am going for easy to catch trips.  I don't get skunked a lot and i have had some epic trips.  I am slo going to Freshwater more this year. The striper fishing is not what it used to be and i am not interested in Fishing for spawning fish or dealing with the crowds. On my way to work today i was amazed i have not sent my zee bass in for service it's  like i just don't need it anymore. I don't think i used a rod over 9 foot all last fall. At one point i had to question all the time i was spending to catch small fish.  

I did buy a paddle board and i plan to use that for salt and freshwater. Most of my trips on the board have been really good. 

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

Didn't you teak a break from the slat for a year or two?

last year I split time between fresh and salt.  The year before was that great spring river bite.  Year before I spent most of my time in the sweet stuff.  Post sandy I spent those 2 springs mainly in fresh.

I switch it up....  Do what's fun, new or challenging to me at the time given the conditions.  Hell I took out the fly and tenkara rods a few times the past two years.