Burned out with fishing

Rate this topic

I'm sure I'll get some classic SOL tongue-in-cheek responses to this post. I'm even hesitant to ask but here it goes. Have any of y'all ever lost your urge to go fishing?

After 4 years of fishing (fresh, sweet,or saltwater) almost daily from March through December, my want to go fishing has greatly diminished, this spring, pretty much to the point of being non-existent. 

If you have had a similar experience, what brought you back? 

It is ok to take a break.  Some time away to collect your thoughts and regroup are in order.  After some time away you may change your mind. This site has really changed over the years. So much negativity. People are not posting like the used too. All indications that many people feel the same way you do. Good luck with your decision.

Try to remember what aspects got you into the sport and focus on them.

Don't give two flying effs about what other people say or think....as 90% don't never did or will never do a fraction of what they say anyway. **

If you got into it to catch fish....and nothing else....well...I can see that getting old....quick.  

If there was something else.....try to figure out what that was.  And focus on that.

If you've become desensitized to it.  Nothing wrong with taking a break.

The fish aren't going anywhere.

One way I found to enjoy it more....when it becomes routine......just like work....

When not on the water....focus on anything but. (see ** :) )

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

So, during fishing season in the spring thru fall, I fish 4-5 times a week. I still have that fire in me to get out, but a lot of days, especially with last fall and especially with this spring, I need to convince myself why I'm getting out there, and that the likelihood of catching is good...and that never used to be the case, because I at least would end up finding fish in a given day.

I put in my time, have tons of spots I hit, have people I can call to get the scoop, yet this year and last have been my absolute least productive, especially for Striper. Its actually laughable. The only stripers I picked up so far were one day 3+ weeks ago, its just insane...I know gow to catch them, when the conditions are right etc. 

Long story short, yes, I'm in a similar boat. What I can say is this, I've  been generally grumpy on the drive there, and miserable for the most part on my drives home. I know that's part of the game, but it's been discouraging given the frequency of skunks. Every time I'm out is a battle of deciding whether I stick close and fish the bay or take a slightly longer drive for the fishing I once knew. I dont know man, definitely not being negative, just telling it like it is ... yet despite all of this still feel that urge to go oh, so I guess I'm not quite there yet

Prior to Sandy, I used to get out at least 4-5 times a week (spring, fall) and would typically fish Monmouth and Ocean Counties.

The drive was well over an hour each way without traffic. There were fish around and more often than not, you'd have a striper or blue take your offering.

After Sandy as we all know, things changed and the fishing hasn't been as consistent from the surf.

The 4-5 time per week hour plus long drives started becoming a drag and I reduced my outings, to the point if I made it out 6-10 times per season that was already a lot.

I've since taken up shooting and recently got into hunting.

It's much closer to home and just as much fun as fishing.

I am trying to get back to fishing more frequently, just not sure I'll be back to 4-5 trips per week.

Time will tell.

Im glad I'm not the only one....I've had my ons and offs with fishing for as long as i can remember. I'm39. Until 4.5 years ago it was strictly freshwater.  Learning that i could catch stripers and blues close to home in a brackish river really intrigued me but also had me going out front to learn more. Last fall i had my best spring summer and fall with the salt in the back and out front. My freshwater catches tailed off and i was constantly running into people in places where i could fish and catch in solitude. 

Maybe the crowding/pressure is what did it to me this time. I still like to go to spots and observe nature and what's going on but I'm not getting that "it woulda been nice to catch that feeling." Ive lately found myself more excited to watch an Egret stalk panfish than to toss a popper along the same weedline *or observe pipefish chasing bait over plugging away and going spot to spot 

Edited by Frugal Fisherman

I believe sometimes we need to think back of just trying different things to keep the sport fun. From making your own lures to just baiting in the surf and taking in nature's view. As others stated, catching fish can get old when its routine and predictable. As we get older, walking sucks, hurting bones suck, and just thinking of the negative crap in life steers away from the joy we all love in fishing. I always think back to when my dad would say "hey son, grab your rod we are going fishing" try and remember those things you talked about and the stories that were made....dont give up man it's just another swing. Get back out there and make some reports!!! 

I can relate to this. The last few years I've fished less and less. This year I got a beat little ultralight, tied on a spinner and hit a stream about 4 minutes from my house!  I caught a beautiful brook trout and got more enjoyment from that as from any fish in a long time. I've since caught dace, rock fish, another brook, maybe a brown, and a rainbow- it was little so I think natural. I've kayak and shore fished for quite a while but like others have mentioned, the long drives, walks, aches and pains, being tired, sucky fishing, cold. wind etc... can make it tough especially in the salt. Freshwater is mellower. I have to remember it's about the experience, being out in nature. It can be good to have a partner for sure, but that hasn't worked out for me. 

And yet I think a small center console would be the answer... I must be f'ing crazy.

Main thing for me is age. I can still hang-the drive (min 75 miles) fish the surf for hours (usually too long) I just have trouble on the return drive. Especially fishing the dark (95%). 

That is the only thing that stops me. Can't afford to stay over but once or twice in the off season.

So I do a lot of short, fresh water stints close to my home.

IMO fishing is what I do for when I get burned out. If Im getting burned out while fishing that defeats the whole purpose. Having said all that I get where you're coming from. In addition I used to think it was somewhat of a noble pursuit. A man and a rod in the elements catching fish. Unfortunately Ive learned that a lot of the yahoos out there aren't really noble at all. Anyway...take a break..no sense getting burned out. Come back when you get that itch.

9 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

I'm sure I'll get some classic SOL tongue-in-cheek responses to this post. I'm even hesitant to ask but here it goes. Have any of y'all ever lost your urge to go fishing?

After 4 years of fishing (fresh, sweet,or saltwater) almost daily from March through December, my want to go fishing has greatly diminished, this spring, pretty much to the point of being non-existent. 

If you have had a similar experience, what brought you back? 

absolutely. a break is always a good thing. then when you return go at like dusk or early morn. to me thats what the beauty of everything is really out. Quiet, birds, great skies. etc. You get a new jolt and you remember why you love it.

46 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

absolutely. a break is always a good thing. then when you return go at like dusk or early morn. to me thats what the beauty of everything is really out. Quiet, birds, great skies. etc. You get a new jolt and you remember why you love it.

Thats exactly what I do.. I go for a sunrise or sunset and even if I dont catch I try to snap pics of either and hopefully catch some other nice pictures along the way.  People would die to be where we are and grab some of these scenic views at time..

I'm kind of exciting the spring run is almost over, looking forward for a break... Thats how I know i need to catch a sunrise..