pclassic

18" Tube and worm lure.

9 posts in this topic

I need some advice about the use of a tube lure. I recently bought my first kayak so I'm new to kayak fishing. I'm going to stay inshore and not venture out  into the ocean. Mostly tidal rivers and bays like the York river in Maine and close to the shore in Great Bay. So I've noticed from videos kayak fishermen catching some nice stripers trolling a tube lure, but they seem to be in the ocean. Since I'm a newbie at this I was wondering if any of you have had any luck trolling these inside or if they are mostly for ocean use. Thanks

IMG_20190528_103642603.jpg

I've been using them to catch bluefish inshore. It's pretty effortless and I've only had a kayak for a few weeks. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They work better in rivers and bays then out front. Good luck with your purchase. Lots of you tube videos on how to rig and troll them.

Edited by dbjpb

I fished tube and worm a lot last year. I've actually had much more luck in the types of areas you describe than I have out in the ocean. If you are sticking to shallow areas (say 12' or shallower) you can just use an unweighted tube or maybe a small egg sinker above your leader. I like to use a steel leader in 18"-24" but mono/fluoro will work as well. I tie a ball bearing swivel with an attached clip directly to my main line and then clip my steel leader to that. Another ball bearing swivel goes at the end of the leader with a clip to attach to the tube. The idea with the BB swivels is to avoid line twist. Some people use weighted keels or trolling rudders for that, but I don't bother with them. I haven't tried Hogy tubes but they look good. I had great luck with T-Man 15" tubes, and not as much luck with Santini or Le Tube tubes in my area. And of course, you'll want a piece of sand worm, blood worm, Gulp, or anything else with an attractant on the hook. Even nightcrawlers work in a pinch. I found and have heard other people say sand worms are the best, though.

I actually got kind of burned out on the t&w last year because I was catching a lot of fish very consistently but once I had a few areas dialed in there wasn't much of a challenge to it and I kind of lost the excitement factor. If I wasn't catching fish at least every 5-10 minutes it felt like a slow day, and that's just silly. Also, the fish I caught were mostly 18"-24" schoolies but that might have just been the kind of year it was and/or the areas I fished.

With that said, I will always have tubes and at least Gulp if not sand worms when I go out. Besides being a near-sure way to avoid getting skunked, I now like using the tube and worm as a fish locator, so that once I'm on them I have a second rod ready to go and I can throw soft plastics, etc. I think the t&w is especially great when you are getting into kayak fishing (and I'm still relatively new to the sport myself) or new to an area because it helps you learn your spots and where fish like to hang out at different points in the tide, etc.  

T&w is definitely more of a day time tactic for me. For whatever reason I caught fish much less frequently at night, and I tried different colors (black and solid colors), different depths, etc.

That's just my experience and I'm sure others will have differing feedback. I'd recommend checking out some of @Crozzbow's posts in the ME/NH forum as I pulled a lot of knowledge from his posts.

Take that tube to the Maine rocky coastline if you are comfortable out front on the right days. 1.5-2knots. Get right against the rocks.

15 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Take that tube to the Maine rocky coastline if you are comfortable out front on the right days. 1.5-2knots. Get right against the rocks.

What he said.  Find a boulderfield/rocky shoreline and work it ... drag that sucker right through the rocks.  

There are lots of folks that use the T&W in the area you fish.  You will meet them at the ramps after a morning of fishing.  You can tell them from the rest because the tubes are still on their rods.  When I started out, I would ask them general questions.  And they were all very helpful.  Good Luck!