adams54

Need insight into guys filleting fish on site.

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Recently I was at an inlet and saw an older gentlemen filleting some cocktail blues and disgarding the carcasses into the inlet. Is this allowed?  I can definitely understand the convenience factor of doing so. Also ethically its probably less waste feeding marine life as opposed to having the carcass rot in a landfill. What do you guys think..good idea? Bad idea?

Not sure where you are but in NJ there is no size limit on bluefish so I dont believe there is any reason to keep a bluefish intact.

Putting the remains back in the water seems like the most ecologically effective means of discarding them.

the racks make great garden fertilizer too.

stuff with a size limit, like SIC34 said, i think you need to keep the rack.

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Spigola said:

Almost wondering if this is a PC troll.  Crabs gotta eat too.

Care to explain what is a PC troll? Sorry brother not trolling anyone just a legit question.

Edited by adams54

Some marinas like you to discard the racks in their dumpsters, reason being if you chuck em right next to your boat and they drift to where they'll be above the water line when the tide goes out, it attracts rats. I'd say if you're in a channel with current you should drop them in to feed the crabs and other fish waiting for them. In fact, I once saw a guy fishing a dead bunker and he pulled in a keeper striper at 12 noon. So I bet if you toss out a sea bass rack, you might also pull up a cow! Worth trying if conditions are right. Use a circle hook in the meaty part of the head. 

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Hey guys. Recently I was at an inlet and saw an older gentlemen filleting some cocktail blues and disgarding the carcasses into the inlet. Is this allowed?  I can definitely understand the convenience factor of doing so. Also ethically its probably less waste feeding marine life as opposed to having the carcass rot in a landfill. What do you guys think..good idea? Bad idea?

If there's a size limit to the fish, you need to either keep the rack + fillets or keep the fish in tact. Go on a party boat for example and you'll see them keep the racks to fluke/sea bass/stripers until they're back at the dock and all passengers are gone. There are laws the NJDEP has in place for filleting. Regarding bluefish, since there is no size limit, the person was within his rights. 

Personally I've done that "fillet on site" before, as it makes the work at home a hell lot cleaner. I also would agree that tossing the rack into a place w adequate depth and current would make best use of the rack, as other organisms would benefit from it. 

7 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

If there's a size limit to the fish, you need to either keep the rack + fillets or keep the fish in tact. Go on a party boat for example and you'll see them keep the racks to fluke/sea bass/stripers until they're back at the dock and all passengers are gone. There are laws the NJDEP has in place for filleting. Regarding bluefish, since there is no size limit, the person was within his rights. 

Personally I've done that "fillet on site" before, as it makes the work at home a hell lot cleaner. I also would agree that tossing the rack into a place w adequate depth and current would make best use of the rack, as other organisms would benefit from it. 

Good to know wasnt 100% sure. Didn't want to bother asking the older gentlemen and come off wrong.

2 mins ago, adams54 said:

Good to know wasnt 100% sure. Didn't want to bother asking the older gentlemen and come off wrong.

Yup totally legit question, no shame in asking in SOL. If I didn't know I'd ask as well.

By law, you have to keep the rack, by law you have to drive under the speed limit too. Unless he's over harvesting, I don't see anything wrong. Personally, I prefer my filet a bit less crunchy.

I've brought two bass back to my apt in Philly in the past and Ill never make that mistake again. I now fillet at the beach for my own convenience so my gf doesnt try to fillet me.

The first one was filleted in her apt and she came back from class to blood smeared all over the counter and walls (i wasnt very good at filleting yet)

and another time... I tossed a nice fish in my lacrosse bag filled with ice. I made it back to Philly around first light and due to my previous scenario I decided to fillet this one outside, on a busy powelton ave. One thing led to another and I had campus security stop to question me, Philly police got involved and almost every car that passed slammed on their breaks to check out the murder scene.

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

Maybe this is an NJ thing but I've never seen a party boat in CT keep any racks. Where do they put all of the racks while they are filleting? I imagine this being an absolute nightmare on a porgy trip.

30 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I've brought two bass back to my apt in Philly in the past and Ill never make that mistake again. I now fillet at the beach for my own convenience so my gf doesnt try to fillet me.

The first one was filleted in her apt and she came back from class to blood smeared all over the counter and walls (i wasnt very good at filleting yet)

and another time... I tossed a nice fish in my lacrosse bag filled with ice. I made it back to Philly around first light and due to my previous scenario I decided to fillet this one outside, on a busy powelton ave. One thing led to another and I had campus security stop to question me, Philly police got involved and almost every car that passed slammed on their breaks to check out the murder scene.

Lol, just bleed'em and you should be good.