BrianBM

Hot rods. NOT JUST for the CCC.

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Follow up on this post. I looked over Aubut's site, very nice. Then I looked again at US Composites' site and found that they make two blanks (not finished rods; blanks only) for surfcasting.

The blanks are both two piece rods, and they're the "GT Surf" series. I think they were 70/30 splits.  Aubut does not appear to build on them, and demand can't be very great or US Composites would be selling rods, not just blanks. 

 

If you build for max durability and fishfighting, as US Composites apparently does, you probably can't also build for the lightest possible weight. If the rods will do for GTs, then they ought to be fine for the Cape Cod Canal bass fishery, too. If anyone has used one, let us know. 
 

I’m sure if you bought a blank Chris would build it for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt.  However, I'm a rare visitor to the Canal, and for the open beaches I prefer on Long Island, the Century SS1327 is wonderful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to get your hands on a -zziplex-uptide-rod.great jigging stick. For your L.I. beaches a Zziplex -bass blank and you won't have to look back.

The only rod that I had stolen off the beach was a Zziplex 2500  with a Newell 235 reel.

God help the thief if I catch him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 10’ Black Hole Heavy II put the nuts to this #47 and after a 12 hour jigging session that I was FEELING the next day, I was rewarded with this beautiful fish. (Released healthy and strong). As mentioned this rod is rated 3-10 and feels grossly uunderrated if anything. I’ve thrown 10 oz with it as hard as my casting finger could take and it feels like it’s capable of throwing a cinder block if you were so inclined. I went from an 11’ factory model last year to a 10’ built version this year.

 

I was invited by Kilsong to a demo day in December to test the new SB series that was originally rated 3-10 for the heavy version. After using it I told Kilsong that you’ve already got the perfect heavy jig stick in the Heavy II Surf so trying to add another rod in that range felt a little redundant. He said that with feedback he had received thus far he was going to change the rating to a 3-8 for the heavy and a 2-6 for the regular version. The SB series is a thinner diameter, lighter, more plugging style rod and after throwing 2 oz guppy’s, and the 17 size SP minnow I made the suggestion of changing the rating to a 2-8, and a 1-6 respectively. I felt that the simple drop of an ounce on the bottom end rating not only opens the door for an entirely different range of lures, but more importantly represented the rod’s true capability more accurately than something like 3-8 would. I’ve never had a representative take advice from a nobody like me and immediately incorporate it into the rods the way Kilsong did with the weight ratings and was super humbled to have my input received the way it was. These rods are going to be a huge hit with their price points being extremely generous for what you’re getting (I believe they will retail between 300-350). 

 

Extreme Jigster - I just had the 11’ extreme blank built and jigged with it all last night. It’s certainly a step above the original in terms of sack. The 10’6 version would be really great for those guys with bad backs/shoulders etc. or for those who just prefer something a little more forgiving than the 1209/Heavy II style rods while still being capable of accommodating just about any jigging style. With the big flood of paddle tail style jigs becoming increasingly popular, the jigster really excels and provides excellent feedback for those who like to swim the jig just off the bottom and forego the traditional bounce and lift style. I still feel that the original Jigster 11’ 4-10 is the ultimate all around Canal rod and has such a broad range. 

 

Just like I did with the original Jigster, I plan to make a video showing the rod throwing everything from 2-3 oz to the Savage Cutbait Herring (9.5 oz), footage of its fish fighting characteristics, and I think what most would like to see is how it lifts various weights off the bottom while jigging. If you’ve got any specific requests, just post them and I’ll do my absolute best to make that happen for you. 

 

Century Surf Machine Elite 12’ 2-8. What can you really say about this rod. It’s insanely expensive, but comes with every new material that Century offers in their high end blanks from Graphene,  the Textreme coating for durability, all the Autoclave anti-twist wizardry etc. The rod is listed as having Titanium SiC K- guides but the one I bought which was already built from Century came with Titanium Torzite guides. The only thing I had modified was the reel seat position. The factory rod felt choked down quite a bit for a 12’er and at my height of 6’2 and arm length, I had the reel seat moved up 2.5” from the factory location and haven’t noticed any line slap or issues casting. We literally subjected the rod to over 35lbs of drag pressure at a 45 degree angle and it just felt like it had endless power. I wish it threw the bottom end of its rating a little more efficiently, but it’s still decent. The rod starts to comes alive at 3.5 oz and shines at 4-5.5. It will throw a 5 oz Savage as far as most 2-6 rods can throw a 3 oz pencil. Despite being a 12’ rod, the difference in weight between anything else in its class is completely blatant, and if blindfolded you’d think you were holding something in the 9’-10’ range based on how it feels in the hands. 

 

Century Slingshot SS1209 10’ 4-8. I got to handle this rod at the RISAA show this year and it took everything in my power to not make a full sprint for one of the exits. In all seriousness though, WOW. It was built with titanium SiC guides and had the new graphene incorporated. This rod is going to be an absolute go-to for a ton of guys who like long jigging sessions or simply want the absolute best power/weight ratio of any rod rated 4-8oz to effectively jig with. At 10’ long, and weighing next to nothing while still having the same guts as the popular SS1329, I can see nothing but great success when this rod hits the shelves. 

 

The Tsunami Trophy II series. I don’t know how Tsunami does it, but these rods have been nothing short of spectacular for their price points. I think the entire line retails in the ballpark  between $80-$140. I picked up the 8’6 rated 0.5- 1.5 oz for schoolies  and couldn’t be happier with how it performed. I know that the 11’ 4-10 retails for like $119.99 and have had multiple CCC customers rave about its performance up to this point.  

 

The Century Ron Arra Series 10’6 2-7:

When I first inquired about these rods back in November, Joe Paiva described the RA1269 as an SS1328 and 1/2 and I couldn’t agree more. A touch quicker than the extremely popular SS1328, but not as much as the SS1329. Titanium SiC guides, graphene, a length that’s friendly to just about everyone at 10’6 and an incredible range with the 2-7 rating, this is another rod that’s going to have guys leaving more rods in the truck or at home and would do just about anything you asked of it. Throws and works plugs beautifully, and like the SS1328 can be used as a “lighter” jig stick, with the extra 6” taken off lending itself to an even more capable and comfortable rod in that department. 

 

For those wondering where/how I’m getting my information, when I’m not a firefighter/paramedic, I work at Red Top Sporting goods during the season about 3-4 times a month. Great way to stay in touch with the local anglers, keep up to date on fishing reports, have the opportunity to test new products, and the employee discount is not something I have a problem with. 

 

Video I made last year simply showcasing the Blackhole Heavy II Surf 11 footer throwing/lifting the top end of its advertised rating. The recovery is laughably fast for that much weight.

 

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and if I can, I will answer them to the best of my ability. 

 

 

A800900A-A5E3-435B-B2F5-F467D62C03B6.jpeg

A5C372B6-4AE0-410E-ABD8-3EC05A7D86A7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dan_evan1 said:

My 10’ Black Hole Heavy II put the nuts to this #47 and after a 12 hour jigging session that I was FEELING the next day, I was rewarded with this beautiful fish. (Released healthy and strong). As mentioned this rod is rated 3-10 and feels grossly uunderrated if anything. I’ve thrown 10 oz with it as hard as my casting finger could take and it feels like it’s capable of throwing a cinder block if you were so inclined. I went from an 11’ factory model last year to a 10’ built version this year.

 

I was invited by Kilsong to a demo day in December to test the new SB series that was originally rated 3-10 for the heavy version. After using it I told Kilsong that you’ve already got the perfect heavy jig stick in the Heavy II Surf so trying to add another rod in that range felt a little redundant. He said that with feedback he had received thus far he was going to change the rating to a 3-8 for the heavy and a 2-6 for the regular version. The SB series is a thinner diameter, lighter, more plugging style rod and after throwing 2 oz guppy’s, and the 17 size SP minnow I made the suggestion of changing the rating to a 2-8, and a 1-6 respectively. I felt that the simple drop of an ounce on the bottom end rating not only opens the door for an entirely different range of lures, but more importantly represented the rod’s true capability more accurately than something like 3-8 would. I’ve never had a representative take advice from a nobody like me and immediately incorporate it into the rods the way Kilsong did with the weight ratings and was super humbled to have my input received the way it was. These rods are going to be a huge hit with their price points being extremely generous for what you’re getting (I believe they will retail between 300-350). 

 

Extreme Jigster - I just had the 11’ extreme blank built and jigged with it all last night. It’s certainly a step above the original in terms of sack. The 10’6 version would be really great for those guys with bad backs/shoulders etc. or for those who just prefer something a little more forgiving than the 1209/Heavy II style rods while still being capable of accommodating just about any jigging style. With the big flood of paddle tail style jigs becoming increasingly popular, the jigster really excels and provides excellent feedback for those who like to swim the jig just off the bottom and forego the traditional bounce and lift style. I still feel that the original Jigster 11’ 4-10 is the ultimate all around Canal rod and has such a broad range. 

 

Just like I did with the original Jigster, I plan to make a video showing the rod throwing everything from 2-3 oz to the Savage Cutbait Herring (9.5 oz), footage of its fish fighting characteristics, and I think what most would like to see is how it lifts various weights off the bottom while jigging. If you’ve got any specific requests, just post them and I’ll do my absolute best to make that happen for you. 

 

Century Surf Machine Elite 12’ 2-8. What can you really say about this rod. It’s insanely expensive, but comes with every new material that Century offers in their high end blanks from Graphene,  the Textreme coating for durability, all the Autoclave anti-twist wizardry etc. The rod is listed as having Titanium SiC K- guides but the one I bought which was already built from Century came with Titanium Torzite guides. The only thing I had modified was the reel seat position. The factory rod felt choked down quite a bit for a 12’er and at my height of 6’2 and arm length, I had the reel seat moved up 2.5” from the factory location and haven’t noticed any line slap or issues casting. We literally subjected the rod to over 35lbs of drag pressure at a 45 degree angle and it just felt like it had endless power. I wish it threw the bottom end of its rating a little more efficiently, but it’s still decent. The rod starts to comes alive at 3.5 oz and shines at 4-5.5. It will throw a 5 oz Savage as far as most 2-6 rods can throw a 3 oz pencil. Despite being a 12’ rod, the difference in weight between anything else in its class is completely blatant, and if blindfolded you’d think you were holding something in the 9’-10’ range based on how it feels in the hands. 

 

Century Slingshot SS1209 10’ 4-8. I got to handle this rod at the RISAA show this year and it took everything in my power to not make a full sprint for one of the exits. In all seriousness though, WOW. It was built with titanium SiC guides and had the new graphene incorporated. This rod is going to be an absolute go-to for a ton of guys who like long jigging sessions or simply want the absolute best power/weight ratio of any rod rated 4-8oz to effectively jig with. At 10’ long, and weighing next to nothing while still having the same guts as the popular SS1329, I can see nothing but great success when this rod hits the shelves. 

 

The Tsunami Trophy II series. I don’t know how Tsunami does it, but these rods have been nothing short of spectacular for their price points. I think the entire line retails in the ballpark  between $80-$140. I picked up the 8’6 rated 0.5- 1.5 oz for schoolies  and couldn’t be happier with how it performed. I know that the 11’ 4-10 retails for like $119.99 and have had multiple CCC customers rave about its performance up to this point.  

 

The Century Ron Arra Series 10’6 2-7:

When I first inquired about these rods back in November, Joe Paiva described the RA1269 as an SS1328 and 1/2 and I couldn’t agree more. A touch quicker than the extremely popular SS1328, but not as much as the SS1329. Titanium SiC guides, graphene, a length that’s friendly to just about everyone at 10’6 and an incredible range with the 2-7 rating, this is another rod that’s going to have guys leaving more rods in the truck or at home and would do just about anything you asked of it. Throws and works plugs beautifully, and like the SS1328 can be used as a “lighter” jig stick, with the extra 6” taken off lending itself to an even more capable and comfortable rod in that department. 

 

For those wondering where/how I’m getting my information, when I’m not a firefighter/paramedic, I work at Red Top Sporting goods during the season about 3-4 times a month. Great way to stay in touch with the local anglers, keep up to date on fishing reports, have the opportunity to test new products, and the employee discount is not something I have a problem with. 

 

Video I made last year simply showcasing the Blackhole Heavy II Surf 11 footer throwing/lifting the top end of its advertised rating. The recovery is laughably fast for that much weight.

 

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and if I can, I will answer them to the best of my ability. 

 

 

A800900A-A5E3-435B-B2F5-F467D62C03B6.jpeg

A5C372B6-4AE0-410E-ABD8-3EC05A7D86A7.jpeg

Dan,

I looked and felt the 10' jigster at RT  yesterday. I think i will buy it t next time down. 

I am looking forward to using it. with neck/back issues i am sore today from jigging yesterday.

What would you say its sweet spot is?

Thanks for taking the time to put this together....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

B

b

Dan,

I looked and felt the 10' jigster at RT  yesterday. I think i will buy it t next time down. 

I am looking forward to using it. with neck/back issues i am sore today from jigging yesterday.

What would you say its sweet spot is?

Thanks for taking the time to put this together....

So when you say sweet spot, are you talking the original Jigster, 10’6 or the extreme? And are we talking plugs? I only ask because the term sweet spot isn’t typically used for jigging but rather casting, but I’m sure I could apply a figure to either application. You’re more than welcome to try my original or extreme. I’ll let you throw a variety of weights with both of them, jigs, plugs, whatever you’d like. A lot of guys have a preference or go-to jig that they throw a lot, If you could elaborate a little more on your question, I feel as though I can give you a much more thorough answer.

 

Glad to answer whatever I can to the best of my ability. There’s just not enough demo days or casting events where we as anglers get to truly put a rod through its paces and going off the opinions of others and bending the tip against the shop ceiling doesn’t really cut it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan_evan1 said:

So when you say sweet spot, are you talking the original Jigster, 10’6 or the extreme? And are we talking plugs? I only ask because the term sweet spot isn’t typically used for jigging but rather casting, but I’m sure I could apply a figure to either application. You’re more than welcome to try my original or extreme. I’ll let you throw a variety of weights with both of them, jigs, plugs, whatever you’d like. A lot of guys have a preference or go-to jig that they throw a lot, If you could elaborate a little more on your question, I feel as though I can give you a much more thorough answer.

 

Glad to answer whatever I can to the best of my ability. There’s just not enough demo days or casting events where we as anglers get to truly put a rod through its paces and going off the opinions of others and bending the tip against the shop ceiling doesn’t really cut it. 

Thanks Dan

I am interested in original Jigster and yes for plugs I was wondering the sweet spot. 

I think the majority of the time this will be used with savages and al gags but wondering if I'm jigging and there is a surface blitz if say I clip on a 4.7 oz. Canal cruiser it would load well being somewhat in the middle of its rating. 

Thanks for the info Dan. I enjoy your videos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Thanks Dan

I am interested in original Jigster and yes for plugs I was wondering the sweet spot. 

I think the majority of the time this will be used with savages and al gags but wondering if I'm jigging and there is a surface blitz if say I clip on a 4.7 oz. Canal cruiser it would load well being somewhat in the middle of its rating. 

Thanks for the info Dan. I enjoy your videos. 

Oh god yeah it will send one of those. Between 4-5 oz the rod really starts to load and unload super efficiently. Here’s a video of me leaning into a 5 oz pencil pretty hard.

 

 

Edited by Dan_evan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 4:07 PM, MontclairDave said:

Lami-Arra 1204 10' (the "old" 1204, rated 3/4 to 2.5, 12-20) is a real sweet rod for open beach pencil popping, tins, bucktailing, etc. Not in production, one listed here in BST forum back in 2010 for about $150. My first custom rod, built by Capt. Neil. Caught a ton of fish on it, now gathering dust in garage (sorta like me). 

 

Amazing blank. Love this rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan, a question about the CCC environs, rather than the rods (which do interest me). I can't hack the riprap that lines most of the Canal, for physical reasons. Is there bottom structure, appropriate for jigging, within reach of the open beaches at the ends of the canal?  

 

If there's a bunny slope, I need to find it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Dan, a question about the CCC environs, rather than the rods (which do interest me). I can't hack the riprap that lines most of the Canal, for physical reasons. Is there bottom structure, appropriate for jigging, within reach of the open beaches at the ends of the canal?  

 

If there's a bunny slope, I need to find it. 

There are a few places but they are crowded 247 come peak times. Bell rd is a good place to start. Can fish from the new grass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.