BrianBM

Hot rods. NOT JUST for the CCC.

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Nine times out of ten, if I read about Massachusetts surf rods, the poster has the CCC on the brain.  

Never mind the Canal. If/when I get back there, I'll make do with a 1208 and a 220 or 229 (yeah, I still fish that stuff.)  Ditch Jigger said I'd be fine, so there. I have a SS 1327 for the Canal, and while I might be under-reeled for spin sticks (like the 1327) I am not under-rodded. 

As for right now, what's popular for Massachusetts, and for the CCC? Make the distinction, please.

Lami has dropped the 126-1MH, which was highly rated for the CCC. I don't know what else is popular. I suspect that the 126-1MH would have been a good blank on which to build a rod for anywhere in the canal, or anywhere else in Massachusett as well. There is no AllStar anymore. 

So what are local rod builders currently using?

Just curious, I'm no more than an occasional visitor to the land of Red Sox and Patriots (gaaaaahh) fans.  May God have mercy on them.

You can just say the land of Championships. :laugh:

I fish the Cape with a Century 1145 and 10’6 Legend 3/4-4 and that covers basically everything for me. If it’s real nasty out, I’ll use my Canal plugging rod, the 11’ 3-6 Vaportrail. 

Other popular non-canal rods I see are the Century S1, 9’ Legends, Lami 1201L, FSC 1087, 9’6 Tiralejo and Airwave Elites. 

I think anything in the 9-11’ range that throws 1-2.5 oz’s will cover you the vast majority of the time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

up and coming rods and blanks, in the Mass. area, are Black Holes, the Cape Cod Surf 2 HEAVY 10, 11ft., is becoming one of  most asked for jigging rods in CCC...,there also is East Coast series...and the new SB Specials..

Edited by lureman

I've fallen in love with an Aubut Rods 10' rated 1-5 for outside the canal.  It's built on the United Composites GUSA Graphite US100 MEGA blank.  I'm not sure what the specs are on the blank/rod in terms of weight, but its not the "lightest" rod I own, but that's okay.  I wanted something in a one-piece that offered durability AND performance.  Rod does everything I ask from loaded redfins, 1oz pencils, 40z pencils, darters, metal lips, big sebile stick shad, etc.  I haven't thrown rigged/live eels yet, but I suspect it will be just fine.  It's a mod-fast action and seems to have plenty of power (still haven't put a "big" fish on it, but hope to change that soon lol).

Good luck when you do, and we'll enjoy a report. 

Someone (you?) previously mentioned Aubut, I'll have to look him up.

I was addicted to expensive custom rods. Most broke. One  the second day.  The rod maker and blank manufacturer refused to honor the warranty. Now I have expensive tomato stakes.

I made the switch to off the rack TFOs and St Croix and never looked back. I broke one, brought it back, was handed a new one no questions asked, and life is good.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:26 AM, lureman said:

up and coming rods and blanks, in the Mass. area, are Black Holes, the Cape Cod Surf 2 HEAVY 10, 11ft., is becoming one of  most asked for jigging rods in CCC...,there also is East Coast series...and the new SB Specials..

I've been reading a lot about the surf heavy 2, but I also was looking at the Jigster Extreme, which bumps the rating up to 6-12 and advertises a faster action.  Has anyone used it for jigging yet?

13 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I've been reading a lot about the surf heavy 2, but I also was looking at the Jigster Extreme, which bumps the rating up to 6-12 and advertises a faster action.  Has anyone used it for jigging yet?

hi CH, the BH, CC Surf 2, is actually rated 3-12 oz., most BH rods, underrated, on their lure rating, the new SB Special, 2-8, is really 2-10...

On 5/27/2019 at 7:37 PM, BrianBM said:

Nine times out of ten, if I read about Massachusetts surf rods, the poster has the CCC on the brain.  

Never mind the Canal. If/when I get back there, I'll make do with a 1208 and a 220 or 229 (yeah, I still fish that stuff.)  Ditch Jigger said I'd be fine, so there. I have a SS 1327 for the Canal, and while I might be under-reeled for spin sticks (like the 1327) I am not under-rodded. 

As for right now, what's popular for Massachusetts, and for the CCC? Make the distinction, please.

Lami has dropped the 126-1MH, which was highly rated for the CCC. I don't know what else is popular. I suspect that the 126-1MH would have been a good blank on which to build a rod for anywhere in the canal, or anywhere else in Massachusett as well. There is no AllStar anymore. 

So what are local rod builders currently using?

Just curious, I'm no more than an occasional visitor to the land of Red Sox and Patriots (gaaaaahh) fans.  May God have mercy on them.

Two examples i have and like

Canal century 1327

Beach century 1265

Bonus rods

Canal.... rebuilt old fenwick glass rod conventional a  big fish tamer

Beach

Black hole suzuki 9'6

I'm a big fan of my Lami-Arra 1205.  I do have a 1261MH factory spin that I would probably post if I saw a "WTB Lamiglass 1261MH" post in the BST section.  

Sam

Lami-Arra 1204 10' (the "old" 1204, rated 3/4 to 2.5, 12-20) is a real sweet rod for open beach pencil popping, tins, bucktailing, etc. Not in production, one listed here in BST forum back in 2010 for about $150. My first custom rod, built by Capt. Neil. Caught a ton of fish on it, now gathering dust in garage (sorta like me). 

On 5/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, FoliFish said:

I've fallen in love with an Aubut Rods 10' rated 1-5 for outside the canal.  It's built on the United Composites GUSA Graphite US100 MEGA blank.  I'm not sure what the specs are on the blank/rod in terms of weight, but its not the "lightest" rod I own, but that's okay.  I wanted something in a one-piece that offered durability AND performance.  Rod does everything I ask from loaded redfins, 1oz pencils, 40z pencils, darters, metal lips, big sebile stick shad, etc.  I haven't thrown rigged/live eels yet, but I suspect it will be just fine.  It's a mod-fast action and seems to have plenty of power (still haven't put a "big" fish on it, but hope to change that soon lol).

Follow up on this post. I looked over Aubut's site, very nice. Then I looked again at US Composites' site and found that they make two blanks (not finished rods; blanks only) for surfcasting.

The blanks are both two piece rods, and they're the "GT Surf" series. I think they were 70/30 splits.  Aubut does not appear to build on them, and demand can't be very great or US Composites would be selling rods, not just blanks. 

If you build for max durability and fishfighting, as US Composites apparently does, you probably can't also build for the lightest possible weight. If the rods will do for GTs, then they ought to be fine for the Cape Cod Canal bass fishery, too. If anyone has used one, let us know.