Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brandon7711

Help - Transducer Mounting Location (Strange Transom)

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at mounting a hummingbird helix 7 SI g3 onto my 15 foot aluminum boat. I am trying to figure out where to put the transducer. My transom is very strange in the fact that it is recessed and the sides extend further out than where the motor is mounted. The previous location (see picture) will not work because side imaging would hit the outboard, and I lose 2d sonar signal on plane.

I am looking at mounting the transducer at the green spot marked on one of my pictures. Will this spot be okay? I'm going to use a stern saver, and my motor does not have electric trim (I can adjust a pin to give more clearance). At the moment, the measurement from the transom to the leading edge of the motor is 7", if I move it out one pin then I have 9" of clearance. I am worried most about side imaging clearance and if the transducer is too close to the motor (read somewhere that I needed 15", I would only have about 8.5 - 9")

Thank you for any suggestions or help. Really trying to make this side imaging unit work on my boat. 

IMG_8580.JPG

IMG_8582.JPG

IMG_8583.JPG

IMG_8585.JPG

3 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

If you mount inside the set back your ducer might not see a thing except down. Looks like the position of the old one is correct.

you don't think it will be blocked by the motor? I would think the side scan would be completely blocked that way

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not much diff then my cat. Same spot but need to raise the bracket  to 1/2 above the bottom the hull. You transducer is below. Which causes more dirty water and drag equal dirty-false readings. Will also cause a rooster tail spray under way.  

I also think your motor is mounted low. Looks like someone added  the poon to the rear of a jon boat.  could be stock from manufacture is a clean mount.maybe to help with weight on the rear . I almost added some at one point on a old project and i think when you do you run the engine higher. I see you have a hydro foil . Are you experience proposing issues.? 

Edited by 757saltwater

can you connect two ducers into the unit, one for each side?  I aint no expert, but the location in your drawing may cause turbulent water going into the prop, hard to tell from the pic

^^ You can do that.  Simrad/Lowrance makes a through hull that, though more expensive, is cheaper than buying two.  Thats what I did on my mako, put it on the keel.  I would think hummingbird does as well.

I would try to temporarily mount it as outboard as possible and see how it works.

Unless you have a deck in that boat you can forget about a thru hull, since it will protrude up into  the boat, just begging to be be kicked, stepped on, or maimed. Also, the tandem thru-hull transducer setup is only required for boats built with a certain degree of deadrise or greater, since with a single the beam hits the hull on one side. A transom mount transducer is supposed to extended below the bottom of the boat, just like the one you have. With transom mounts, you sometimes lose or get a stuttered signal while on plane, but realistically you aren’t looking for fish when traveling 20 knots, are you? Also, as you move the transducer to the outside of the hull, you’re decreasing the likelihood of the motor interfering with the beam.

All that said, what you really should do is contact the manufacturer and get their recommendations. Send the photos and see what they say.