aae0130

Fluke - Quantum Accurist

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fluke in Raritan bay with a 6’-9” Shimano Trevala and a Quantum Cabo 40 spinner. Mostly 3/4 to 2 oz jigs. My Cabo is 10 years old and showing signs of corrosion and I think it is time to retire it. I have been watching Skinners videos and he is using a Quantum Accurist bait caster with a thumb lever. I’m tempted to switch to this method but I would definitely need to the left hand retrieve. Is this that much easier as he claims? I have to flip the bail on my spinner when I want to adjust line and that thumb lever looks easier to deal with. Anyone who has made that switch, can you give me some insight or comments? I haven’t fished a conventional in 40 years but I was able to cast those things from shore without issue. My first setup (when I was 12) was my dads conventional Garcia-Mitchell on a fiberglass rod. Fished riverbanks with it. 

Edited by aae0130

Once you get used to it, you will love it.  With the lever on, drop to the bottom, jig for a bit then push the lever and go back to the bottom and repeat.  You don't have to hit the bottom on every bump.  Good luck.

You can engage the spool on most baitcasters by simply popping up the thumb bar.

The Accurist is nice with the flipping switch and is what i use as well.

Get the Shimano Calcutta 201 a little more pricey but worth it in the long run. If you’re not into the round bait caster go with the Shimano Tranx or Daiwa Lexa. All reels mentioned are in LH models. You won’t regret. 

+1 on the Quantum Accurist. Very lightweight and I know it doesn't seem like that much of a difference but the thumb bar is so convenient and the upgraded knob is a nice touch. Will you be fishing from shore?

54 mins ago, Lewbag29 said:

+1 on the Quantum Accurist. Very lightweight and I know it doesn't seem like that much of a difference but the thumb bar is so convenient and the upgraded knob is a nice touch. Will you be fishing from shore?

No.....from my boat. 16 ft side console. 

Accurist is a relatively cheap option and flippin switch is nice to have, but you can pop the thumb bar up with your thumb to engage the reel on pretty much any low profile baitcaster.  I like the Daiwa Coastal better - smoother, light weight, big EVA knobs and doesn't get geary from saltwater use.  They are readily available on auction sites for around $150 which is not that much more than an accurst + power handle.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dropped by Tackle World today and pickedd up a left handed Accurist with the TW power handle and a Tsunami Classic 7 ft mh rod. Spooled it with some 20 lb Suffix braid. 

This set up is as light as a feather. Now I know why Skinner likes it so much. Very comfortable.

DB0841FA-9D33-4611-B3F9-80AC82416C68.jpeg

Edited by aae0130

You wont regret that purchase. I have the same setup with the Heavy (3/4-1.5oz) rod.

My only suggestion is to go with the lightest line you can. Thinner line will have less drag in the water and not scope as fast as thicker line. You would be shocked at how much of a difference it can make.

I think skinner runs 10lb on his fluke rods now.

2 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

You wont regret that purchase. I have the same setup with the Heavy (3/4-1.5oz) rod.

My only suggestion is to go with the lightest line you can. Thinner line will have less drag in the water and not scope as fast as thicker line. You would be shocked at how much of a difference it can make.

I think skinner runs 10lb on his fluke rods now.

Any suggestions on what brands of braid would have the least drag for fluke jigging?

On 5/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, makorider said:

Couldn't imagine fluking (properly) with a spinner.

Do it and don't look back

Didn't know I had a few improper fluke limits last year, for 1/2 oz bucktails in shallow water I like a spinner, I'll even use one in 50ft with a 1-2 oz sometimes if I'm casting way up tide. I also have a skinner style baitcast setup that is great too, and a conventional for real deep water, it is all personal preference, no one "proper" way to fish.