blackdogfish

Let's talk about carbon fiber paddles.

40 posts in this topic

New paddle is nice.  Not like an unbelievable astonishing difference, but nice. 29 ounces. $160. Aqua Bound Sting Ray Carbon with the Posi-Lok ferrule. Also re-learning to paddle correctly.

Proper paddling requires a proper kayak. If your sitting high, your knees are in the way, or the kayak is wide, you’ll lose efficiency. Some sot fishing yaks paddle well, but they are the minority. A simple trick is “blade in by your feet, twist and watch it past your hip”

Maybe a greenland style paddle  help.  They have narrow blades and are light weight. They also make them out of carbon fiber. Good luck with your shoulder pain . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I noticed that you are paddling a tarpon 120. This is a great beginner kayak. It will serve you well as you paddle between rivers, lakes, bays and oceans. According to their web site it weighs 63 pounds. It is a roto molded kayak. Unfortunately kayaks are similar to cars in many ways. There is not one model that is great 

in all situations. The tarpon 120 comes close but because it is only 12 feet long  and 30 inches wide. It is not the  most efficient kayak out there. Maybe John or Gelffex can chime in. He has several

different  paddle kayaks. I believe he has a pescador 12 which is a tapron 120 clone. He also paddles a  scupper pro as well as an eddyline.  Purchasing performance tires on a family car may help a little with the handling but it is not going to turn the car into a great handling machine. I suspect you are experiencing the same thing with your new paddle. It may be a little bit better but you are not paddling a kayak designed for speed and efficiency .  If you paddled a longer or  or narrower kayak with your new paddle you may notice more of a difference. You may also want to look into a thermo formed kayak. They are lighter and more efficient. Many people on this site seem to enjoy the hurricane skimmer models. ?  Or if you like rotmolded kayaks maybe an ocean kayak prowler 13.  Not the trident model. Or a nice south african Kaskazi kayak ? 

Edited by dbjpb

I would concentrate on perfecting my stroke. Remember the work is done with your torso not your arms and shoulders. Sit up straight ,  feet on the pegs, knees slightly bent . Make a rectangle with your arms and the paddle, elbows with a slight bend do not lock elbows. We are now sitting and holding the paddle out in front of us, rotate your torso to the right until the paddle blade is even with your right foot,  place the blade in the water and with pressure on the right foot rotate your body, when blade reaches your right hip it should be out of the water. Remember in at the toe out at the hip. Be patient  this is the hardest  stroke to  learn. Have some one video you paddling and watch it to see  how you are progressing.  Remember to  go slow and maintain the paddlers box and keep the angle low. Hope this helps.

19 mins ago, Fishinjohny said:

I would concentrate on perfecting my stroke. Remember the work is done with your torso not your arms and shoulders. Sit up straight ,  feet on the pegs, knees slightly bent . Make a rectangle with your arms and the paddle, elbows with a slight bend do not lock elbows. We are now sitting and holding the paddle out in front of us, rotate your torso to the right until the paddle blade is even with your right foot,  place the blade in the water and with pressure on the right foot rotate your body, when blade reaches your right hip it should be out of the water. Remember in at the toe out at the hip. Be patient  this is the hardest  stroke to  learn. Have some one video you paddling and watch it to see  how you are progressing.  Remember to  go slow and maintain the paddlers box and keep the angle low. Hope this helps.

Excellent. I might add that if the angle of your lower elbow changes while the blade is in the water you're doing it wrong. It's so hard to convince people that this form is important.  They pull themselves through the water and think that's all that matters.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, dbjpb said:

I noticed that you are paddling a tarpon 120. This is a great beginner kayak. It will serve you well as you paddle between rivers, lakes, bays and oceans. According to their web site it weighs 63 pounds. It is a roto molded kayak. Unfortunately kayaks are similar to cars in many ways. There is not one model that is great 

in all situations. The tarpon 120 comes close but because it is only 12 feet long  and 30 inches wide. It is not the  most efficient kayak out there. Maybe John or Gelffex can chime in. He has several

different  paddle kayaks. I believe he has a pescador 12 which is a tapron 120 clone. He also paddles a  scupper pro as well as an eddyline.  Purchasing performance tires on a family car may help a little with the handling but it is not going to turn the car into a great handling machine. I suspect you are experiencing the same thing with your new paddle. It may be a little bit better but you are not paddling a kayak designed for speed and efficiency .  If you paddled a longer or  or narrower kayak with your new paddle you may notice more of a difference. You may also want to look into a thermo formed kayak. They are lighter and more efficient. Many people on this site seem to enjoy the hurricane skimmer models. ?  Or if you like rotmolded kayaks maybe an ocean kayak prowler 13.  Not the trident model. Or a nice south african Kaskazi kayak ? 

Yeah 10-4. I kayaked with Jon and saw his Eddyline. Very nice boat. Right now the 63 pound weight is OK for me lifting onto my head and onto roof rack. Iike the bulletproof nature of rotomolded... especially in saltwater.  I don't have to baby it. It is of course, an all-around kayak and not speedy. But it tracks pretty well and does a good job in saltwater and freshwater. Just not so ideal into really heavy wind.

Interestingly, I just picked up a used, OLD, Tarpon 120 Ultralite... fiberglass. It weighs about forty pounds. And fiberglass/gelcoat is pretty repairable so not as delicate as thermoformed.  WS still makes a Tarpon 120 Ultralite but it's now made as thermoformed.

Edited by blackdogfish

On 6/11/2019 at 0:54 PM, dbjpb said:

Maybe a greenland style paddle  help.  They have narrow blades and are light weight. They also make them out of carbon fiber. Good luck with your shoulder pain . 

Thanks 

On 6/11/2019 at 9:24 PM, gellfex said:

Excellent. I might add that if the angle of your lower elbow changes while the blade is in the water you're doing it wrong. It's so hard to convince people that this form is important.  They pull themselves through the water and think that's all that matters.

I'm working on it. Thanks guys.