blackdogfish

Let's talk about carbon fiber paddles.

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

That is correct you can purchase the paddle fathered or unfeathered. Having a paddle feathered creates more stress by the constant twisting of the wrist. If you use a paddle with a thinner blade ,with a low angle stroke, one piece shaft of a material with some flex, I believe you would be paddling with the least amount of stress. Having a paddle that is feathered to alleviate wind pressure is way over rated. I have paddled day after day in strong winds in the north with unfeathered paddles and never found myself at ant disadvantage. Again hope this helps.               PS check out Mitchel Paddles Canaan NH

Edited by Fishinjohny

Another thought came to mind after I finished that last post. Have you tried perfecting your paddling stroke. Most of us have to work our whole paddling careers on perfecting the forward stroke it is one of the hardest stokes to learn. Legs and the torso do most of the work. When done efficiently it will alleviate stress on your shoulders and arms. Just a thought.

9 hours ago, Fishinjohny said:

Another thought came to mind after I finished that last post. Have you tried perfecting your paddling stroke. Most of us have to work our whole paddling careers on perfecting the forward stroke it is one of the hardest stokes to learn. Legs and the torso do most of the work. When done efficiently it will alleviate stress on your shoulders and arms. Just a thought.

For sure.

Ok, been following this thread on and off... simple question to OP... is it a matter of NEED or matter of WANT?

if first, go for it...

if latter, all discussions pretty much ends there... and OP needs to go pick up a werner Kalliste or Camano and enjoy the light paddle... until the next credit card billing cycle.

hahaha...

i have a Kalliste all Carbon... love it. hardly use it as i'm on a hobie... but again... NEED was never a factor in that purchase.

Well as I am fearing not being able to paddle for the rest of my life (this problem is not going to disappear)...reducing strain by any means I can makes total sense.  doc recommended getting lighter paddle. but still, I am, at this point, looking for value too.  The Aqua bound Carbon series seem to be a tremendous value .  Full carbon fiber shaft and carbon reinforced composite blades with the nice Posi_Lok ferrule system. $160-200.  Not bad.  The Kalliste is over $400.

Question...anyone have opinion on oval shaft versus standard round shaft.  Seems that it helps position the blades correctly...and MAY be more comfortable and ease fatigue for some paddlers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

Well as I am fearing not being able to paddle for the rest of my life (this problem is not going to disappear)...reducing strain by any means I can makes total sense.  doc recommended getting lighter paddle. but still, I am, at this point, looking for value too.  The Aqua bound Carbon series seem to be a tremendous value .  Full carbon fiber shaft and carbon reinforced composite blades with the nice Posi_Lok ferrule system. $160-200.  Not bad.  The Kalliste is over $400.

Question...anyone have opinion on oval shaft versus standard round shaft.  Seems that it helps position the blades correctly...and MAY be more comfortable and ease fatigue for some paddlers.

found oval shaft took only a wee bit to get comfortable and it helps in subconsciously positioning the blades correctly.

bent shaft was interesting but quickly found it annoying to attach it to the side of a kayak.

internet vendors of outdoor products have new member discount codes and such... 20--40% and also they will start to aggressively markdown the prices to clear inventory for fall goods.

amazon credit card is interesting... i buy essential and non perishable supplies from them and the points stack up nicely to use for amazon purchase.

also, i hear Campmor in Ramsey NJ has overstock of some paddles and they're trying to move out a lot of inventory but maybe too far from your location.

good luck with your search!

Edited by kinghong1970

51 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

found oval shaft took only a wee bit to get comfortable and it helps in subconsciously positioning the blades correctly.

bent shaft was interesting but quickly found it annoying to attach it to the side of a kayak.

internet vendors of outdoor products have new member discount codes and such... 20--40% and also they will start to aggressively markdown the prices to clear inventory for fall goods.

amazon credit card is interesting... i buy essential and non perishable supplies from them and the points stack up nicely to use for amazon purchase.

also, i hear Campmor in Ramsey NJ has overstock of some paddles and they're trying to move out a lot of inventory but maybe too far from your location.

good luck with your search!

Thanks very much for your comments and tips.  Have you found any downside to the oval shaft?

not really paddling enough to get an "experienced" review/opinion on this so be warned.

personally, no.  i like the light weight and despite owning hobie, i sometimes paddle in and i enjoy the light paddle tremendously... still trying to stop pulling with lower hand and rather push with upper... but bad habits are hard to fix.

i only noticed it at time of purchase and afterwards it just feels natural.

carbon fiber does not react well to sun... they tend to "sun bleach" despite the epoxy... not sure what kind they use... but i add UV protectant once a year or so... pending my lazymeter.

i do get nervous when some friends borrow the paddle and use it to push off against the rocks... lol?

32 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

not really paddling enough to get an "experienced" review/opinion on this so be warned.

personally, no.  i like the light weight and despite owning hobie, i sometimes paddle in and i enjoy the light paddle tremendously... still trying to stop pulling with lower hand and rather push with upper... but bad habits are hard to fix.

i only noticed it at time of purchase and afterwards it just feels natural.

carbon fiber does not react well to sun... they tend to "sun bleach" despite the epoxy... not sure what kind they use... but i add UV protectant once a year or so... pending my lazymeter.

i do get nervous when some friends borrow the paddle and use it to push off against the rocks... lol?

1  So it sounds like non-scientifically, you would recommend the oval shaft.

2  What is the UV-protectant you use?

3  Regarding pushing off bottom or rocks....that's a tough one.  Because it is almost impossible not to at certain places.  If you can't get out to push yourself away or get out of the shallows, you're going to use the paddle to push unless you can call in a rescue boat or a chopper.

2 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

1  So it sounds like non-scientifically, you would recommend the oval shaft.

2  What is the UV-protectant you use?

3  Regarding pushing off bottom or rocks....that's a tough one.  Because it is almost impossible not to at certain places.  If you can't get out to push yourself away or get out of the shallows, you're going to use the paddle to push unless you can call in a rescue boat or a chopper.

303 or armor-all  whichever one is closer to my lazy ass

one thing I would like to add is that if you watched the video, most of the paddlers were paddling the correct way, and that is the insert the blade into the water and rotate the body , not pull with the arm. On most fishing kayaks today with the chairs- it makes it a little hard to do a proper stroke- you would need to site up slightly away from the chair to get the rotation. this way you use your core for each stroke and not just the arm. Good luck!

On 5/31/2019 at 4:42 AM, robmedina said:

one thing I would like to add is that if you watched the video, most of the paddlers were paddling the correct way, and that is the insert the blade into the water and rotate the body , not pull with the arm. On most fishing kayaks today with the chairs- it makes it a little hard to do a proper stroke- you would need to site up slightly away from the chair to get the rotation. this way you use your core for each stroke and not just the arm. Good luck!

I'm going to have to take a lesson because I can't seem to "get it" from you tube videos.

Go to the ACA website and look for lessons and instructors in your area. Lesson best done by a certified instructor. Just a quick idea that may help; start with knees bent and feet on the pegs, then by rotating your body place the blade in at your toes. Start your rotation with a pust of the foot on blade side peg, and unwind you torso, paddle blade should come uot of the water at your hip. Opposite blade should be in position to place in water again at the opposite foot. If you are siting up higher in the boat you may need a slightly longer paddle to maintain a low angle stroke. Hope this is of help.

One way to get "it" is to try this extreme way. Hold your paddle in front of you with your elbows bent to make a rectangle. Now try paddling without changing that rectangle, just rotating your body and raising and lowering the blades. Proper paddling isn't this weird, but this isolates the rotation for you, and shows what is possible. When I paddle my lower elbow doesn't change angle from the time the blade enters till the retrieve. I'm not "pulling".