KSantangelo

Dogfish

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone else been catching a ridiculous amount of dogfish lately? It started for us last Saturday, and tonight was insane. We had to have caught 15+.  It seems early? And it’s such a bummer when you get the fish in and it’s yet another sand shark. 

14 mins ago, Scallywag said:

You gotta move. Once they come in, that's all you'll catch. Them and skates. 

Everywhere we went on the outside they were there. It’s like they were following us :mad:

They're supposed to be really good eats if you bleed them, filet them, and get them on ice as soon as you get them out of the water. One of these days when I go chunking again I'll keep one to try.

16 hours ago, chitala383 said:

They're supposed to be really good eats if you bleed them, filet them, and get them on ice as soon as you get them out of the water. One of these days when I go chunking again I'll keep one to try.

Spiney are better than smooth.  As soon as they hit the deck, bled, gutted (***be mentally prepared to see developing pups!***), then right in ice water/brine, breaded, fried and with cocktail sauce, they're certainly fine.

Personally, I don't think they're worth the effort, but after a day of failure, if it's a couple of them just before you head home for dinner or nothing, well.............

The smooth are thick in the back this year. Decimate the crab population as they devour small to medium size non stop. Pick them up then crush and swallow them. 

Pain for serious fisherman but fun for the novice who want a decent fight especially on light tackle. In a few weeks the back bays will be saturated with this years spawn so get ready. 

Nothing out of the ordinary with them, especially if you're throwing bait. They'll give you something to do if nothing else is biting. The 4 footers are fighters. 

Fish heads with half the body still attached and better.  That usually keeps dogs and small blues at bay.  Just let them mess around with your bait, it may just get a cows attention.  

On 5/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, JoeyZac said:

Dogfish, both spiney and smooth, have been a plague for years.  

People really should start eating them.......

Don’t think there are any size limits or anything, can’t recall though. 

Can cofirm that they taste pretty darn good beer battered and fried. Just a pain to clean. Killed one a couple years ago that was full of pups and felt so bad I haven’t done it since.