Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 26 - June June 2

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file for ease of viewing. 

This is the second year trying this approach. I think last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you. It's been windy and rough on the water. Can't last forever. We are at Memorial Day, fishing should be improving, along with the weather, along with more fishermen fishing.   

Got a few schoolies last night and early this morning, saw no other fishermen, which was nice.  Took my new kayak on it’s maiden voyage this afternoon in the bay, didn’t catch anything but was great being on the water.  First time ever fishing from a yak.

Posted (edited) · Report post

More fisherman then fish around last pm. Amazing how people will just push themselves between 2 other people fishing. If you want the better spots get there early, don’t just force your way in because your lazy ass got beat there............... manners are a dying past time. :banghd:

Edited by Kooky

3 hours ago, Kooky said:

More fisherman then fish around last pm. Amazing how people will just push themselves between 2 other people fishing. If you want the better spots get there early, don’t just force your way in because your lazy ass got beat there............... manners are a dying past time. :banghd:

At many places (e.g. the Canal) this "spot jumping" has been going on for years. So long that I'm almost numb to it at this point. If they stay out of my way and go with the flow, I'll shut up. It's when they start tangling me and working at cross purposes for no apparent reason that words will get spoken at high volume. :cool: Occasionally you'll run across someone who will listen and smarten up. 

Rough go over the weekend, covered from Providence River down to the bridges, no luck a couple schoolies, and didn't see anyone else have much luck. Used multiple tactics from topwater, plastics, to chunks, no dice, maybe next weekend will be better. From reading these reports it seems like its just slow for keeper bass right now.

8 hours ago, Viessnamuth said:

@Kooky the things ppl do it’s unbelievable. Had to yell at someone yesterday for that. He was swinging his rod over someone’s head. 

..and it's only May. Wait till the vicarious "pot lickers" get into the mix spot of "spot jumpers". Most interesting is when those species infight.

spent more time yesterday .searching for pogies than I did fishing ><><

from Warwick to Bristol to the hurricane Dam   for two pogies   ><>

Seems like I'm finding the same 18-26" fish everywhere. Tried a couple spots out front over the weekend that have historically produced larger fish and still just caught schoolies. Canal was super slow for me as well, but it was more a target of opportunity since I was working in the area.  

Fished off Newport "out front" from shore Ocean Drive, yesterday morning (7 to 10am). 15 to 20 knot SW wind (been blowing that way for 3 days) so the water was "right" rough, tide falling & low. Scored a big skunk. Did not see anything, could not raise anything on poppers (mostly). Tried a small Savage Sandeel in a very reliable pocket for Schooligans ... and got nuthin' (other than seaweed every cast).

Now it's near zero wind / breeze and glassy water, we'll see. On Saturday I expect to fish the upper bay by boat, where I'm told it's Smallsville.

Wet a line and Catch a Big One!