Delzea

Advice On Pouring Lead

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have some bank sinker molds. Not sure if your interested in pouring any of those? If so maybe we temporarily swap molds to pour then swap back. 

I have a ton of bank sinkers-but thanks for the offer

Edited by Delzea

My brother gave me several sections of ancient lead plumbing pipe stored in the attic of his ancient house.  Probably stripped out decades ago and replaced with copper.  It poured very well but later I found out the resulting jigs were almost 15% lighter than the same jigs poured using pure lead.  So watch out for that.  I used a sensitive scientific scale for measuring.  Don’t know what was added to the lead.  It seemed to melt at a lower temp and filled out the molds nicely.  Would have been very useful to pour tiny lead soldier molds…the detail would have filled out perfectly… but jigs???... not so much.

Oh yeah, as has already been stated, I should mention that don’t have any water anywhere near molten lead… it would be like smoking while loading shotgun shells…. only bad things happen...get the picture???

6 mins ago, HJS said:

My brother gave me several sections of ancient lead plumbing pipe stored in the attic of his ancient house.  Probably stripped out decades ago and replaced with copper.  It poured very well but later I found out the resulting jigs were almost 15% lighter than the same jigs poured using pure lead.  So watch out for that.  I used a sensitive scientific scale for measuring.  Don’t know what was added to the lead.  It seemed to melt at a lower temp and filled out the molds nicely.  Would have been very useful to pour tiny lead soldier molds…the detail would have filled out perfectly… but jigs???... not so much.

Oh yeah, as has already been stated, I should mention that don’t have any water anywhere near molten lead… it would be like smoking while loading shotgun shells…. only bad things happen...get the picture???

Tin would have been added.

If Delzea is of child bearing age he might be well advised to avoid doing this.  Lead is a carcinogen. and causes birth defects.  Not trying to scare him but he should know the hazards.

If you are pouring some smaller jigs, like 1/4 to 1oz., using to much of the harder lead an cause issues with filling the cavity for the keeper post, or smaller details in the mold. W Weight lead is also not as dense, and a 4 oz. jig may only weigh 3.70 ounces because of this. I have no issues with mixing the crap lead with the good. Maybe 80/20 or 70/30.

For spout clogs, I have a 5/0 jig hook I think it is., cut the bend/eye off so it is just the hook and shank. Use long vise grips to hold it and while hot, shove it up the spout a few times and it cleans it out nice until I empty it and clean it right. WEAR GLOVES lol. I have an RCBS mold, and I am pretty sure the spout opening is larger then the Lee pots.

Outdoors. 

Flux the lead with a candle (fun!) or dry leaves/sawdust if you dont have wax.   Scrape the dross off the top with an old ladle or mesh spoon. 

Bears repeating: Above all, and this should be adhered to 100% at all times-  NOTHING with ANY potential for moisture goes into the molten lead.  Do it once and you'll see why.  A visit from the tinsel-fairy can really get your attention and mess up a day quickly.  

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

If Delzea is of child bearing age he might be well advised to avoid doing this.  Lead is a carcinogen. and causes birth defects.  Not trying to scare him but he should know the hazards.

have 2 -they're all grown up.been snipped.but thanks

1 hour ago, BigFischer said:

Cant be repeated enough..welding gloves, long sleeves, face shield, respirator

have all the above

So yesterday i processed all the lead and made ingots in cupcake pans.

i started pouring some sinkers last night and they came out like crap-lots of voids,i had about 6 attempts and was about to give up.

i did some research and figured a few things out and had success today.

here are some photos of them

P1080533.JPG.607f91441dce69269bc012c78132b71b.JPGP1080534.JPG.bba7bebc1a7e57ccb1279f65c2e15a10.JPGP1080535.JPG.2473b908bb4669380dcba545c1696fca.JPGP1080531.JPG.7a5b1b503970e4043e8933ee2550d5c0.JPG

They look pretty good.  What were some of things you discovered that made the pouring work better and fill out the molds better?

2 hours ago, HJS said:

They look pretty good.  What were some of things you discovered that made the pouring work better and fill out the molds better?

thanks

1) at first i was heating the mold with a heat gun,but i watched a youtube video where the guy put the mold on top of the pot while the lead was heating/melting - that got it nice and hot.

2) the pour was too slow which was due to the valve and valve rod needing to be cleaned.(that made a huge difference)

3) some molds need to be tilted a little as you pour to help the lead get into hard to reach areas

4)putting the valve spout almost directly in the fill hole of the jig mold

Pour a few without hardware to heat the mold up. You can dump them right back in the pot. When they start looking good add the hook/eye/whatever.