Dan Tinman

Question for Black Sea Bass sharpies.

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm working on a new jig for Black Sea Bass at the request of a tackle shop owner.  He didn't specify what colors and I'm not well versed in that fishery.  The question is just that.  What colors or combination of colors are a good choice for sea bass jigging from head boats?  Any help is appreciated.

9 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'm working on a new jig for Black Sea Bass at the request of a tackle shop owner.  He didn't specify what colors and I'm not well versed in that fishery.  The question is just that.  What colors or combination of colors are a good choice for sea bass jigging from head boats?  Any help is appreciated.

Dan, I have pretty much reached for a shiny jig of some sort of chrome or gold if i was dropping a jig for the sea bass. 

I also never used a tog jig before two years ago so there is always something to learn. 

I’’d go with brighter colors for sea bass like white, yellow, pink, chartreuse.

My son was telling me today that the long shot boat was putting up pics of some sea bass jig that was working for them. I didn’t see it but Tom will stop by and post up a pic. 

Dan A17 works for me.  Think sandeel and go from there. 

That said, these are the pics kml was talking about

Screenshot_20190519-153114_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190519-153141_Instagram.jpg

SmartSelect_20190519-144416_Instagram.jpg

That said there's a thread somewhere on  here with a lot of knowledge on bsb jugging. I just can't remember where it is 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, mtkpete said:

5/0 hook. 

That's also a consideration, what hook size.

1 hour ago, mtkpete said:

please kindly let us know when they are available and from where they can be purchased from, thanks Tinman

><)))'>

If they actually come to market I'll likely offer them here on SOL.  Right now it's an "iffy" situation.  I don't like the way the mold pours.  Too much fooling around to pour good pieces for the targeted price range.  The mold maker does great work but he doesn't fully understand the problems of making pieces easily.  Hopefully the problems will be solved.

Edited by Dan Tinman

Posted (edited) · Report post

Many of the BSB i get are while Fluke fishing. I honestly didnt know they had their own type of jig, as they hit pretty much anything. Id say the hot fluke colors (white,green, pink, chartreuse) area good place to start

Edited by Baitbucket

On 5/25/2019 at 5:28 PM, Dan Tinman said:

Dan, I know it's a few weeks late but I would echo the fact that sea bass do eat pretty much everything in sight. I jig sea bass quite frequently, from the spring season here in NJ all the way to the winter offshore fishing.

I would say that slender patterns do work best from two standpoints; one that sea bass do eat quite a few sandeels, and that those slim profile jigs should cut the water better and hold bottom better. I regularly jig sea bass on diamond jigs, large Hogy epoxy jigs, and slim butterfly style or slow pitch jigs, for example.

Green, silver, and pink would get my nods. Gold too. A teaser would be appealing to me personally on any jig that's not butterfly/slow pitch style. 

Hope this helps.  

32 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Dan, I know it's a few weeks late but I would echo the fact that sea bass do eat pretty much everything in sight. I jig sea bass quite frequently, from the spring season here in NJ all the way to the winter offshore fishing.

I would say that slender patterns do work best from two standpoints; one that sea bass do eat quite a few sandeels, and that those slim profile jigs should cut the water better and hold bottom better. I regularly jig sea bass on diamond jigs, large Hogy epoxy jigs, and slim butterfly style or slow pitch jigs, for example.

Green, silver, and pink would get my nods. Gold too. A teaser would be appealing to me personally on any jig that's not butterfly/slow pitch style. 

Hope this helps.  

Thanks for the input.  I've come up with a herring shape jig in blue back, chartreuse back, pink back and all white.  I gave samples to my commercial customers and we'll see how well they catch.  If they produce I'll have them in the Commercial B/S/T section.